.38 Super w/Officer's frame?

PDA

macavada
September 18, 2004, 10:56 PM
Does anybody make a 1911 with a commander barrel and a officer's sized frame? I've never seen anything other than full sized mags for .38 super. I guess therein lies the answer, however, I still think this would be a nice carry piece. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Super w/Officer's frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
September 18, 2004, 11:06 PM
Colt, Kimber, and Springfield make "CCO"-sized guns with Officers frames and Commander-length slides. As far as I am concerned, they are just about the best setup for a carry 1911.

I've never seen one in any caliber other than .45ACP, though.

Jim Watson
September 19, 2004, 12:12 AM
There have been some full-custom and mixmaster .38 OACPs and CCOs. There was enough interest that Metaform made special order magazines, then added them to the regular catalog.

https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp

Brian D.
September 19, 2004, 01:01 AM
Just to add to the fun here, I remember that when Detonics put out their Combat Master in the '80s, they made a few in .38 Super and 9mm Para as well as .45acp. (Actually laid eyes/hands on one of each at a show back then.)

macavada
September 19, 2004, 02:35 AM
So, Metalform does make mags for such a gun. Any suggestions on which companies I might follow up with to see if I could have one built? Maybe a pistolsmith that won't ask for my first born?

eerw
September 19, 2004, 03:00 AM
Metalform makes the mags..

38S-793 and 38S-793B , they will hold 8 rounds..

Caspian can mate a nice OM size frame and Cmdr slide ...

there was an article awhile back where Jim Gartwaite built a very nice gun using a Colt aluminum frame and a caspian cmdr slide for a gun in 9x23..

cratz2
September 19, 2004, 03:02 AM
Many of the most indemand smiths either ask for your first born or will make you wait three years... Or both! :p

I've long thought a CCO sized gun in 9x23 would make about the sweetest carry gun possible... But then, I always want what I don't have. I have 1911s in 45 but want one in 9x23 and I have a CZ PCR in 9mm but I want one in 45GAP.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Super w/Officer's frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!