If you have more than one pistol how do you differentiate the mags?

PDA

41mag
September 18, 2004, 11:04 PM
I have a couple of .45 1911s.No problem there.

However,I have a CZ75 & a Beratta 92fs.If all my mags are in a pile I have to double check the mag bases to make sure what's what.I can only imagine the problems(potential) if I had more pistols.

Those of you who have lots of similar magazines for different guns/calibers-How do you differentiate them?Paint marks?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you have more than one pistol how do you differentiate the mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PMDW
September 18, 2004, 11:15 PM
Colored electrical tape.

Graystar
September 18, 2004, 11:24 PM
The plastic ones are for the Glock, and the steel ones are for the 1911. :D

1911Ron
September 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
Maybe put them in seperate boxes or drawers of a small parts bin

El Cid
September 19, 2004, 12:00 AM
Mark them with a paintstick available at some hardware stores.

Valkman
September 19, 2004, 12:04 AM
Put them in different i-Shot magazine pouches. :)

Greg L
September 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
Make a trip to the range. You can be fairly certain that what you thought would fit won't. That way when you get home you can sort them into the correct piles :D .

BlkHawk73
September 19, 2004, 09:01 AM
The mags for a particular gun stay with that particualr gun. All the autos I have, have quite different mags anyways so confusing them isn't an easy thing to do anyways.

Rembrandt
September 19, 2004, 09:25 AM
Had that same problem with a SA Omega 3 barrel set, (45acp, 38super, 10mm)....put diifferent colored pads on the magazines, then stamped them with corresponding caliber markings.

Suggestion: drill a small indentation (3/16") in the mag base, don't go too deep...then fill the indentation with a different colored paint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/omega3bbl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/omegamags.jpg

Chris Rhines
September 19, 2004, 09:43 AM
What Valkman said.

Of course, if you go this route you'll have to buy all your magazines in quantities of six... :D

- Chris

Old Fuff
September 19, 2004, 10:20 AM
If you find this to be a problem go to almost any hardware store and buy an electric pencil. Then you can engrave part of a gun's serial number (or whatever you chose) on the side of each magazine that goes with that particular pistol.

bigjim
September 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
I put hooks on the side of my gun safes.

Then I hung bags from them. Each bag holds mags for one gun. The bags
have the information about the gun written on them.

I keep the mags all loaded and ready to go.

I have bags for:
1911 full size 60 ea mags
1911 Compact 50 ea mags
CZ 97 20 ea mags
CZ 75 35 ea Mags
HK p7M13 10 ea mags
Hk P7M8 10 ea mags
BHP 25 ea mags
SW 625 Moon Clips 60 loaded ( many more unloaded)
M1 Garand Clips 50 loaded ( many more unloaded)
Beretta Tom cat 5 ea
STI W/body 44SW 10 ea mags
Ruger 22/45 10 ea mags
Ruger 10/22 20 ea mags
Walther P22 10 ea Mags
Ciener 22 1911 conv. 10 each
M1A 20 ea mags
AR 15 type mags 30 ea mags

About a half dozen more bags for Misc stuff /Junk

I keep 3 "ready bags" as range kits with:
Electronic hearing protection and extra ear plugs, sight adjustment tools
band-aids, handi wipes, bottled water and a snack. One for my wife and I with extra for a guest.

The hard part is keeping my promise to myself to keep the mags topped off, guns clean and properly stored, range bags ready.

But the pay off is so worth it. I can go from zero to ready for all day at the range in about 60 secs. A long multi gun shooting session on Sat means
1-3 hours on Sunday reloading, topping of my bags, and update my data base.

I wrote a little MS Access Data base that keeps a lot of information about the guns and Ammo/reloading process. The data base form also includes pull down windows with commonly needed supplies and parts. It includes
fields for status of guns and equipment. This way once a month or so I run reports that list round counts, issues encountered for each gun or piece of shooting related equipment. It generates orders with part numbers and quantities for my preferred vendors ( Brownells, Powder Valley inc, Bear Creek bullets, Dillon, etc)

I keep very detailed records of each gun that list purchase price and where I bought the gun. Any gun smithing work/ modification is documented. I keep digital pictures with a eye for detail and documentation not art. This data is updated as needed and I archive it at two locations for insurance purposes.

I know this seems excessive but the purpose is to SPEND TIME SHOOTING, not on upkeep of the hobby equipment. That is way I invested time upfront.

Which brings us to cost. I shoot a lot..... I mean a LOT! So to keep the costs down I spent a lot upfront. I buy primers 25,000 per order minimum.
Powder is purchased in 8Lb kegs 3 to 6 at a time. Bullets I buy in bulk orders drop shipped or picked up in my truck in huge amounts. ( depends on the vendor to get the VERY best prices)

The only guys shooting cheaper than me are casting bullets or Factory sponsored. ( example 45 acp $2.25 cents for 50 rounds) I just don't have time to cast 2 to 4 thousand bullets a month. I don't shoot well enough or look good in a bathing suit so I am not getting factory sponsorship.

Any way that is how I do it. YMMV

James Bondrock
September 19, 2004, 11:25 AM
I have found that the magazines for my different pistols are distinctive enough in appearance from each other that I almost ;) never mix them up.

cratz2
September 19, 2004, 01:11 PM
At the same time, I've owned 1911s, CZ, EAAs, SIGs, a Glock and Taurus PT99 etc... and have never really had a hard time distinguishing which mags went with which guns.

Of course, I'm an obsessive compulsive bastido and can tell which magazines are which even in a particular model based on incidental markings on most of them.

MikeK
September 19, 2004, 05:03 PM
I put the spare pistol mags in a ziplock baggie marked with the gun name. Some are distinct enough that I don't need to. The baggies go in a cardboard box in the safe.

ddj8052
September 19, 2004, 08:46 PM
Put them in different i-Shot magazine pouches.

This is what I do. I highly recomend the i-shot mag pouches.

denfoote
September 19, 2004, 09:00 PM
Ever hear of a Zip-Loc bag, Bub???? :banghead:

41mag
September 19, 2004, 09:50 PM
Pmdw?That could work.I'll have to try it to see if the tape hangs up in the magwell.Thanks!

Graystar?LOL!I knew I could count on someone here for something like that.:)

1911ron?That's kinda what I "thought"I was doing.oops!;)

Ecid?That was my original plan.I was just fishing for a better mousetrap.Thanks.

MikeK,Valkman,ddj8052,& chris rhines? Believe it or not I'd never seen those before.If nothing else they rank up high on the nifty scale.A different color/gun.Good idea!

GregL?Exactly!:D

BlkHawk73?I try but I'm not that organized.I do have some,my various .22s for example which are distinctive enough to not be a problem.
I'll aspire to do better.:)

Rembrandt?THAT's a kool idea!

Old Fuff?Your idea may work(well obviously it will work)but used w/a paint marker to add relief I think it's the best long term solution.That or get rid of all but one doublestack gun.[Not bloody likely-that one.lol!]

Big Jim?Uh,my problem isn't even close to being on your scale.WOW!

James Bondrock?"Mostly"I'd agree. ;)

Cratz22?Um...o.k.:)

denfoote?The names jeff,the handle's 41mag.I don't know any "Bub".
As far as the zip-locs go though?I first tried those for mags.They aren't very durable & last only 1 or 2 trips to the range.I still use them for small parts.

goalie
September 19, 2004, 10:02 PM
I have the orange baseplates on my G17 10-round range/class magazines. It makes them instantly identifiable, as well as making it easy for range safety officers to see that I have a magazine inserted in my handgun.

bigjim
September 19, 2004, 10:41 PM
41mag said:Big Jim?Uh,my problem isn't even close to being on your scale.WOW!

Maybe not yet. :D

mmay1
September 20, 2004, 10:23 PM
I love the I-Shot mag pouches. They come on 4 different colors and are a good way to carry loaded mags - I like to load mags the night before a range trip and the pouches are very sturdy and keep the range bag and safe organized.

QB
September 20, 2004, 10:43 PM
I had mag pouches and 2 different size bags made for all my mags. I used Upland USA because they have 10 different colors and will also make the mag carriers and/or bag any size you want. They are very nice people to work with and I ended up getting exactly what I needed, made to my specifications at a very moderate price. All I did was email them and then we traded emails back and forth until I got my range bags, mag carriers, etc designed the way I wanted it

Color coding has helped me immensely. Since I only take about 4 guns to the range at a time now I can just grab "all the red" or "all the blue" etc....and I KNOW I'll have the gun with the correct mags. Hey....I loved to color as a child.....OK?????!!!!!! :D

Trebor
September 22, 2004, 12:30 AM
Since I only take about 4 guns to the range at a time now I can just grab "all the red" or "all the blue" etc....and I KNOW I'll have the gun with the correct mags. Hey....I loved to color as a child.....OK?????!!!!!!

Sounds like the "Geranimals" theory of gun management to me.

P95Carry
September 22, 2004, 12:43 AM
I nearly posted on this recently!

I rummage thru the plastic tub in the bottom of the safe and often think ... '' oh heck - what belongs to what''?

I have a bundle of BHP mags ... OK they are double stack - and the catch cut-out position gives em away. But then I have mags for Camp 9 ... they are similar! Then mags for P series ... then mags for 1911's .. well, they are single stack so not too bad. but then ...... mags that fit CZ-52 .... Mak - Bersa ....... Hi_point carbine ..... Storm ..... para P12 .... and so on .....

Shucks .. guess I better get to the colored electrical tape!:D

P95Carry
September 22, 2004, 12:43 AM
I nearly posted on this recently!

I rummage thru the plastic tub in the bottom of the safe and often think ... '' oh heck - what belongs to what''?

I have a bundle of BHP mags ... OK they are double stack - and the catch cut-out position gives em away. But then I have mags for Camp 9 ... they are similar! Then mags for P series ... then mags for 1911's .. well, they are single stack so not too bad. but then ...... mags that fit CZ-52 .... Mak - Bersa ....... Hi_point carbine ..... Storm ..... para P12 .... and so on .....

Shucks .. guess I better get to the colored electrical tape!:D

Black Majik
September 22, 2004, 04:15 AM
Heres an idea.

Maybe crayon over the caliber markings on the magazine, then wipe off the excess. In (whatever color you choose) it'll say 9mm, .40 S&W etc... in bright colors.

As an example think of the Glock and USP slides, how people crayola over the markings.

41mag
September 22, 2004, 09:38 AM
Black Magic?I think that's the best combo of El Cids & Old Fuffs' ideas.

For what it's worth I think El Cids paint marker *might* last longer than a crayon.:D

;)

longeyes
September 22, 2004, 11:46 AM
'nother vote for ziplock bags, marked.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you have more than one pistol how do you differentiate the mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!