Kali Gun Bust

PDA

ZeroX
September 18, 2004, 11:48 PM
Los Angeles Police Seize 388 Guns from One Man

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040918/us_nm/crime_guns_dc

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Los Angeles police this week seized 388 guns from one man, more than were recovered in the city all last year, a police spokeswoman said on Saturday.

Police seized 11 guns on Thursday from the car of Wayne Wright, 56, along with another he had illegally sold to an undercover officer. After his arrest, police searched his home in the nearby suburb of Simi Valley and found 376 more firearms.

"Last year there were 348 firearms seized (in Los Angeles). This year there have been 411, including the 388 that were seized from Wayne Wright," Officer Sandra Escalante said.

"There were rifles, shotguns, handguns and assault weapons" recovered from Wright's home, Escalante said.

A silencer and thousands of rounds of ammunition, including armor-piercing rounds, were also recovered from Wright's home, Escalante said. Possession of a silencer and armor-piercing bullets are felonies in California, she noted.

Wright is not a licensed gun dealer and may have been engaged in illegal gun trafficking, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Quite the collection.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kali Gun Bust" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Travis McGee
September 19, 2004, 12:33 AM
I heard a local SoCal radio report that said Wright was a big presence at gun shows in Cali, NV and AZ. From the pictures I've seen, 75% of teh guns were beat up revolvers, 20% pistols, and the rest a hodge podge of long guns, and what looks like a suppressor.

jefnvk
September 19, 2004, 12:50 AM
There were rifles, shotguns, handguns and assault weapons
We now have a fourth type of firearms :rolleyes:

(Anyone else think that 1000 rds is a little low? I probably have that for any two of my guns)

ZeroX
September 19, 2004, 12:59 AM
(Anyone else think that 1000 rds is a little low? I probably have that for any two of my guns)

I thought that too but upon rereading, it said thousands of rounds.

QuarterBoreGunner
September 19, 2004, 01:09 AM
Possession of a silencer and armor-piercing bullets are felonies in California, she noted.
Huh, soooooo I suppose the black tip AP .30-06 I have is a extra naughty?

Morons. Aren't journalists supposed to have their facts checked?

September 19, 2004, 09:51 AM
Reporter is probably on dumb blather's staff a cBS...:D :D :D

Majic
September 19, 2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah, thousands of rounds. 4 bricks of .22lr qualifies that number. :rolleyes:

4v50 Gary
September 19, 2004, 01:57 PM
Thousands of rounds. That could be any of us.

Mulliga
September 19, 2004, 02:01 PM
It's so strange that the private sales one can conduct legally in other states are felonies in the PRK.

I feel naked if I don't have at least 1000 rounds for every caliber that I have guns for. :)

jwmoore
September 19, 2004, 02:03 PM
Thousands of rounds. That could be any of us.

:D :D :D Yep. :D :D :D

Das Pferd
September 19, 2004, 02:23 PM
Police seized 11 guns on Thursday from the car of Wayne Wright, 56, along with another he had illegally sold to an undercover officer.

Um, who else thinks this is worded odd.

tarrigoni
September 19, 2004, 02:32 PM
how could they seize a gun he had sold from his car?

i'm confused.

Kamicosmos
September 19, 2004, 02:44 PM
The extra gun siezed from the sale to an undercover officer....Hmmm. I'm thinking, and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm thinking...Maybe, just maybe, the undercover officer turned him in, and of course, had to turn in the gun for evidence.

Maybe....it's fuzzy though.

:D

Standing Wolf
September 19, 2004, 05:08 PM
Aren't journalists supposed to have their facts checked?

By whom? Other journalists? Their reported "facts" are wholly consistent with their leftist extremist agenda.

Um, who else thinks this is worded odd.

I do. People who can't compose simple sentences shouldn't try to masquerade as journalists.

Das Pferd
September 19, 2004, 06:04 PM
The extra gun siezed from the sale to an undercover officer....Hmmm. I'm thinking, and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm thinking...Maybe, just maybe, the undercover officer turned him in, and of course, had to turn in the gun for evidence.

Maybe....it's fuzzy though.

I think everyone understands what he meant.

Archie
September 19, 2004, 06:17 PM
I live in PDSR California, and I do not appreciate the idiotic gun laws.

However, is it possible this guy might be doing something illegal? I'd like to hear some more about this before I vote for him as the "Authority Abuse Poster Boy".

And yes, it's possible he is innocent of criminal intent and caught in the idiotic PDSR Cal gun laws.

atek3
September 19, 2004, 09:01 PM
he probably is a "criminal" but you know what? people who get popped for victimless crimes deserve our sympathy not our animosity.

atek3

Mr. Kook
September 19, 2004, 09:10 PM
This is a tough one to figure.

Why was he carting 11 guns around in his car? is a big question. Was he operating a straw buy stand from his car? Or was he just on his way back from the range and wound up with a fellow wanting to make a deal?

Listen, from the way the media reported it he could be either of the above, though I tend to suspect he was probably acting legally.

I seriously doubt a criminal would bother to accumulate that much inventory when he can't make any money on keeping guns, just selling them.

I tend to think maybe this guy just made a mistake, not knowing the rediculous gun laws, but you never know. We need more information.

STW
September 20, 2004, 04:26 PM
It's a bit easier to understand when you remember that ALL gun sales in CA must be through a licensed dealer. Once he transferred a gun to the cop he was toast. What we don't know is how much, if any, he was pressured by the cop to avoid the dealer transfer fee and paperwork.

Wildalaska
September 20, 2004, 04:48 PM
Hey how about this scenario...the guy was a CRIMINAL supplying BLACKMARKET guns to those who were INELIGBLE to own them and as a reult, many OTHER CRIMINALS got guns that were used in CRIMES which of course makes legal gun owners look bad...

Naaaw thats way too far fetched, sorry to intrude on this little fest...

WildtinfoilhatbackonAlaska

deej
September 20, 2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but no one should be INELIGIBLE to own a firearm, so there should be no such thing as BLACKMARKET guns, and CRIMINALS are going to commit CRIMES even though there are laws against such things, so why should the rest of us be penalized?

Ryder
September 21, 2004, 02:19 AM
If the guy had any previous criminal history whatsoever he would have been smeared with it in that article.

What you might do has apparently been criminalized. According to the LA Police dept he "may have been engaged in illegal gun trafficking".

If he had the money to buy that many guns he certainly had the money to move. That makes him at least a moron in my book and ineligible to own firearms.

stealthmode
September 21, 2004, 02:31 AM
i agree with wildalaska

Muzzleflash
September 21, 2004, 02:57 AM
Deej- then why did my post about my intent to circumvent that law get locked :p

JohnBT
September 21, 2004, 07:46 AM
"I tend to suspect he was probably acting legally"

Okay, let's say that I agree that he's just an average guy with a bunch of guns. Then there's the small problem of the silencer. State felony, federal felony and let's just tack one more on for being stupid in public.

John

Nathanael_Greene
September 21, 2004, 09:31 AM
I certainly wouldn't vote to convict without having a lot more facts, but I'm inclined to think the guy was up to something, rather than a hero of civil disobedience.

It's certainly possible that he's a harmless old guy with a fetish for junky handguns, but it smells fishy to me.

Wildalaska
September 21, 2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah, but no one should be INELIGIBLE to own a firearm, so there should be no such thing as BLACKMARKET guns, and CRIMINALS are going to commit CRIMES even though there are laws against such things, so why should the rest of us be penalized?

Gol dang yer right, so help us out here, walk down the streets with a real Uzi, and take the issue up to the Supreme Court for us. Stop wasting bandwidth on the net and do something

Or even better, since no one should ne inelegible to own a firearm, bring that Uzi down to the local mental health clinic, find the guy with the most personalities and give it to him :)

WildheeeeeeeeeeeerewegoagainAlaska

TallPine
September 21, 2004, 01:18 PM
Why was he carting 11 guns around in his car?
Maybe that was the most that he could fit in the car ...?

:p

JohnBT
September 21, 2004, 02:31 PM
"Why was he carting 11 guns around in his car?"

I guess he's just a bit slow. Everybody knows they're cheaper by the dozen.

JT

Muzzleflash
September 21, 2004, 03:22 PM
I want to know why when I joke about circumventing a law, it's a bad thing, but when someone else says something about a law, and they're not kidding, it's not.

I guess some animals are more equal than others. =/

Car Knocker
September 21, 2004, 03:30 PM
Aren't journalists supposed to have their facts checked?

I've corresponded with a couple of reporters regarding inaccuracies in their stories that mention firearms. In all cases, the misinformation was attributed to the police. It's obvious that the police are no more knowledgeable about firearms than the average person walking down the street, yet they are seen as "experts" by the media and people in general. Until knowledgeable people regularly question these inaccuracies and hit reporters over the head with the obvious, they will continue in the media.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kali Gun Bust" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!