.22 Plinker

PDA

El Bucho
September 19, 2004, 01:19 AM
Thinking about a .22 pistol for plinking, etc. Have a nice Woodsman from my Grandfather, but i'd like to baby that thing. Is the P22 a decent gun? What else can you get that is decent for around 200 bucks or so? Thanks..

EB

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Craig M. Arnold
September 19, 2004, 01:30 AM
I bought a Browning Buckmark (my second) a while back on GunBroker. It was a demo at the Shot Show (looks brand new) and I paid $200.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I think the Buckmarks are one of the best plinkers around.

Best regards.

45R
September 19, 2004, 02:17 AM
Ruger 22/45 or a used MKII

I love my MkII pistols. Great .22s for a great price and you can upgrade them will all sorts of aftermarket goodies!

MP5
September 19, 2004, 09:23 AM
I love my Ruger 22/45 http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=192&return=Y Feels perfect in my hand, accurate, looks good, easier to take down and reassemble than some portray it. You're looking at more like $300 or so for a new one, though. Btw, I'd say avoid S&W 22A's. I shot a rental once, and the sights stunk, and the gun seemed quite inaccurate.

Matt Sutton
September 20, 2004, 01:04 AM
I have a Ruger KMK-512, had a Buckmark Micro and a Beretta Neos. They are all accurate, reliable, and a ton of fun. The Walthers just don't feel as solid to me.

BamBam-31
September 20, 2004, 02:29 AM
Double tap. Sorry.

BamBam-31
September 20, 2004, 02:31 AM
I've read bad things about the P22. Never actually shot one, though, so can't really say.

I do own a 22/45, though, and after shooting mine, two of my buddies went out and bought 22/45's for themselves. I mounted an Ultradot on mine, and now it's just about the perfect little plinker. 22/45's are highly recommended. Lots of aftermarket parts for drop-in improvements.

Here's mine:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=776557

DMK
September 20, 2004, 09:25 AM
I have to throw in another vote for the Ruger 22/45. I don't own one, but get to shoot a friend's often along with a couple Browning Buckmarks. If I didn't already have a CZ-Kadet, I'd own either a 22/45 or a MKII.

farscott
September 20, 2004, 03:29 PM
My limited experience with one P22 was decidely negative. A dealer was giving me a demo shoot with a P22 with a Gemtech Outback suppressor when I was shopping for suppressors. In the few rounds I shot, the safety kept moving from "FIRE" to "SAFE". I also found that the barrel nut kept loosening during the demo shoot.

For $200, I would look for a used Ruger Mark II.

R.H. Lee
September 20, 2004, 03:31 PM
I like the Ruger MKII. If you can get the target model, you'll have adjustable sights and a much better trigger.

KarlG
September 21, 2004, 01:13 AM
I enjoy my Buckmark Camper and recommed it. It cost me just over $200. I also enjoy my Woodsman, but the grip is not as natural feeling to me as the Buckmark. I have a friend who has the P22, and other friends who have Rugers. All are well liked. I suggest checking them all out and going with the one that feels the best.

Jmurman
September 21, 2004, 09:26 AM
I am also looking for a good .22. Have any of you had experience with the Ruger Mark 2 or 3?

phorvick
September 21, 2004, 10:18 AM
At least take a glance at the Beretta Neos...accurate ...easy to clean...reliable after 4000+ rounds...same story with S&W 22A

cstuard
September 21, 2004, 11:37 AM
Don't know what other pistols you own, but I recommend you pay attention to grip angle. Personally I just can't like the Neos or Ruger MkII angle. The Buckmark and 22/45 are much more natural for me. Good luck

gigmike
September 21, 2004, 12:20 PM
Here's a vote for the Sig Trailside. It's very accurate, easy to break down and clean. I don't plan to mount a scope or anything, so it's as much gun as I need. The price was comparable to the Ruger MkII with a bull barrel.

Titus
September 21, 2004, 12:42 PM
Had a Buckmark. It was a nice gun and very accurate. Finally sold it after having bought a couple Marvel conversions for my 1911s (can only shoot so many different .22s...) The Marvel Unit 2 is about $250, if you're interested in going that route. Otherwise, you could certainly do worse than a Buckmark.

halvey
September 21, 2004, 12:57 PM
I like a Buckmark for a cheap .22.

Don't like the Neos at all.

Rugers would work, but don't like the grip angle.

How about a .22 revolver, say Ruger single Six?

Fulliautomatix
September 21, 2004, 03:55 PM
I have a P22 on loan from a friend, I have fed several hundred rounds of Remington subsonic & Aquila SSS through it with no problems.

22luvr
September 21, 2004, 10:14 PM
it is wearing it's welcome thin. Fussy with certain ammo types (won't chamber and FTE's) Also trigger has not smoothed up at all - still very heavy. Ergonomics may be good for some but it is beginning to fit me like a bad pair of shoes. I'm planning on trading it in on a Ruger Single Six.

wally
September 21, 2004, 10:37 PM
I don't feel strongly one way or another, but had my Neos at the range and a fellow next to me had a Sig Trailside. He said he got it because he couldn't find a Neos when he was buying. We swapped guns for a few mags worth, he said he liked the Neos better, so did I and it was cheaper to buy. I also like the Rugers a lot too.

Its a plinker, don't obsess about it, buy what feels best in *your* hand that's in your price range.

--wally.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!