Range Report: .308 vz.24

PDA

BryanP
September 19, 2004, 09:06 AM
Recently I bought a Czech vz.24 Mauser 98K (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95861&highlight=mauser) that had been rebarelled to .308 by the importer. I finally had some free time to take it to the range yesterday - my weekends have been a bit full of late.

I picked up a 200 rounds of surplus Australian 7.62 at a local shop. I ran 70 rounds through it yesterday at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Yes, I started at 25 and it's a good thing I did.

I have read that 98K's have a problem with shooting high at anything out to 100 yards, which is as far as I'm going to be shooting it without a scope. "They" were right when they said this. The first few shots never even hit the paper. At 25 yards I had to aim at the bottom of a 10" Shoot-N-C in order hit anywhere near the middle. I was not shooting from a rest unless you count my elbows on the table about 1/3 of the time as a rest. The odd thing is that at 50 & 100 I had to aim at bottom of the target itself to hit the middle. :confused: I freely admit that accuracy problems may be more shooter than rifle - I am a mediocre shot at best.

Once I worked out where to aim it was quite accurate. I've seen adds for Mojo sights that claim they can solve the shooting high problem. I think that will be my next purchase for this rifle. I may also look in to one of those scope mounts that do not require any drilling. Having been rebarrelled and reblued this is no collector's item, but I still don't like the idea of drilling holes in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: .308 vz.24" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goon
September 19, 2004, 12:49 PM
I am not sure, but you may be able to find a taller front sight at either Brownells or Numrich gun parts. A taller front sight would drop your point of impact and then you could file it off a little at a time until you got your bullets hitting where you want them.
Also, where did you get it? Who was the importer? I would like to have a .308 mauser in military configuration but I always thought that it would be a custom job.

BryanP
September 19, 2004, 01:21 PM
Goon,

I found it on a table at a gun show in Nashville. More details can be had in the thread linked at the top of my post, including pictures.

According to a Usenet posting back in 1996 (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=19961214073800.CAA13904%40ladder01.news.aol.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Damerican%2Beagle%2Bmauser%26btnG%3DSearch) Federal Ordnance imported a bunch of vz.24's, rebarrelled them and reblued them.

"But if you can, try to obtain an American Eagle Mauser. They were originally assembled and sold by Fed Ord, which is now the Briklee Trading Co, in El Monte, Ca. (818) 350-8800. These weapons have the 98 reciever and new barrels, fresh bluing, and polished bolts."

I have no idea how hard they may be to find now.

I like the idea of the Mojo rear sight replacement as it's supposed to be easily reversed to the original sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: .308 vz.24" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!