I need info on getting a CCW in California

PDA

ielts
September 19, 2004, 12:08 PM
I live in Los Angeles and want to get a CCW. I am willing to relocate anywhere in California in order to get a CCW. Where in California am I all but certain to get the permit and what steps are involved? The reason I ask is I once testified against a criminal who has since been released from prison, and there isn't much the police can do to protect me.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need info on getting a CCW in California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Rojo
September 19, 2004, 12:21 PM
Kern County. There is currently some debate around whether the sheriff will issue a CCW to someone who lives in a municipality within the county. The law says they should, but not all of the sheriffs do. If you live anywhere in unincorporated Kern County, you can pretty much get one no problem as long as don't have any priors or anything like that. Call the Kern County Sheriff licensing division and ask. (661) 391-7500 is the main number, just ask for Dee in licensing, but be very, very polite and nice to her. This is one lady who you don't want to get on her bad side, she is a pistol! Think thin ice.

Jim March
September 19, 2004, 01:37 PM
Kern is pretty good SO LONG as you're outside the city limits of Bakersfield or another town. You also want to come up with some sort of "at least semi-plausible" "good cause statement" but you should score. They're the furthest south "decent county" I'm aware of.

Kings just north is OK too.

The creme-de-la-creme ultimate are Butte and Mendocino.

If you're doing "second residency" - you need to spend at least part of the year at that address, switch your driver's license address there, voter registration too if you're really paranoid, and put at least one minor utility bill in your name at that address.

Understand that a lot of rural sheriffs HATE "second residency CCW" even though it's legal. Some even argue with that - there have been people arrested in San Bernadino County whose primary residence is LA or similar and didn't do a clean enough job setting up second residence in San Berdoo. Arrested while at the CCW training class :rolleyes:. I assume they got off because second residency is clearly mentioned in the tax codes.

What not to do:

Tehama County, circa 1996/7 or so. 20+ gunnies from the SF Bay Area go in together on an apartment rental in Red Bluff. They use that address for CCW with Sheriff Heard of Tehama. Nobody tells Red Bluff PD what's up. The gunnies use it as a "weekend party zone" (nothing too wild mind you, they were a sane bunch). Red Bluff PD notices all sorts of comings and goings, decides they have a crack house on their hands. They raid it one weekend with guns drawn down on about a dozen gunnies.

By some miracle, nobody fires a shot. Once it's sorted out what's up, Red Bluff's Chief is *furious*, Red Bluff's newspaper goes bonkers, Sheriff Heard loses the next race. Now go look at the current CCW-related website for the Tehama County sheriff's office:

http://www.tehamaso.org/ccw.htm

The criteria for this permit are as follows:

o Must be 18 years of age
o Must be a United States citizen
o Must be a full-time resident of Tehama County, however not a resident of the city limits of Red Bluff or Corning.
o Must have completed a course of at least 4 hours in duration in firearms safety and the lawful use of a firearm
o Must have no felony convictions, convictions of any offense involving the use of a firearm, or any convictions for any offense involving the use of force or violence

:scrutiny:

:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "I need info on getting a CCW in California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!