Winchester SXT question

PDA

Darkmind
September 19, 2004, 03:48 PM
Well i've been carrying hydras for a while but at the gun show today i got a really good deal for some Winchester 180 GR. SXTs for my glock 23. Has anybody used these before and what did you think of them? Does anybody have a specs on this round as far as preformance?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester SXT question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grislyatoms
September 19, 2004, 03:51 PM
My Springfield loves them. My Kimber hates them.

The Kimber seems to prefer Hydrashocks.

Try a box or two and see what your gun likes.

cratz2
September 20, 2004, 12:34 AM
Not so much in the 40s but I got a good deal on several 230 Gr 45s a couple years back and they functioned fine.

For 40s, I prefer Golden Sabers and Gold Dots. Hydras are supposed to be fine in 40s, but I just generally don't prefer them.

Darkmind
September 20, 2004, 08:20 AM
Can someone tell me a little more about the diff between Golden sabers, Gold dots, SXT, and Hydras?

cratz2
September 20, 2004, 10:21 AM
There are many webistes with tons of information on the diffrences of 'stopping power' or 'real world street effectiveness'. I put these phrases in quotes because some of them talk purely theorhetically, others claim to produce percentages of effectivenesses of actual shootings and others regurgitate what has been printed elsewhere.

The main thing with handgun shooting is shot placement. Regardless of how well a round expands or not, a couple of fast and perfectly placed shots is really gonna ruin a bad guy's plans.

After that, in my opinion, reliability in your particular gun is most important... If your gun feeds them less than 99%, I don't care how much it expands or penetrates.

On 9mms and 40s, a lot of emphasis is put on expansion... And rightfully so... The goal usually seems to be at least 12" to 14" of penetration while the bullet opens up to as large as possible. This tends to cause more damage to the soft tissue and reduces the chance of the bullet penetrating the target and damaging something behind the target.

Different bullets have different reliabilities of expansion. The Gold Dots are very good as are the Golden Sabers at least in 40 and 45. Many sources claim that the HydraShoks in 45ACP have less than ideally consistant expansion in a variety of circumstances. I have no idea how consistantly the Hydras in 40 expand and I'll admit that. I'm happy enough with the Golden Sabers that I haven't really done much research into other loads. But with the combined negativity associated with the 45 Hydras and the 180 grain size, just leaves me lacking a bit... Give me those 165 Gr Golden Sabers.

Johnny Guest
September 20, 2004, 06:40 PM
I like the SXT cal. .40 180 gr loads. I've only shot them in a High Power, and a VERY few rounds in a friend's G23. They seem accurate and reliable in function.

Regarding the .45 ACP SXT loads: Their 230 gr. don't seem to be QUITE as accurate as 230 Gold Dots in either my old Government Model or a newer Commander. Function is fine, though. I haven't chronographed any. My feeling is that so long as a .45 load "feels right" and functions the action of a pistol with a newish standard compression spring, it is powerful enough to suit me. After all, a .452 bullet doesn't NEED to expand. ;)

Best,
Johnny

Darkmind
September 22, 2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the information guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester SXT question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!