Just trashed my Garand barrel

PDA

Fatelvis
September 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
I went shooting with my "new" Sprfld Garand with barrel/receiver both `43 mgfr., and shot a bunch of what I thought was NC ammo, BUT IT WASNT> Now my barrel is trashed, and I want another `43 barrel to replace the pitted monster. Any ideas of where to find one reasonably priced? Thanks Guys-

If you enjoyed reading about "Just trashed my Garand barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dbl0Kevin
September 19, 2004, 08:03 PM
Geez did you leave the gun without cleaning it for a long period? I've never heard of the barrel being pitted immediately following the shooting of corrosive ammo! :what:

Fatelvis
September 19, 2004, 08:12 PM
Dbl, it had a fair bore, and I left it for about a week, and it is now "poor" condition. It didnt take long. The pitting is from the muzzle to about mid-bore. I never had a bbl do this, and I can assure you I will NEVER fire Korean 30-06 again, reguardless of what they say when they sell it to you!

Bridger
September 19, 2004, 09:07 PM
It's usually pretty safe to assume all surplus stuff is corrosive. I know CMP sells some NC m2 ball though.

It's a shame really, so many ads I see in the flyers where they say "non corrosive 1950 production" of stuff that I know is corrosive mil-surp stuff.

Don't forget the gas system.

swingset
September 20, 2004, 01:22 AM
Not to rub your nose in it, but assume ALL military ammo is corrosive till you test it out first.

Did the Korean ammo come on Enblocs? Was it stamped KA or PS? I know for a fact that KA is corrosive, but the PS is widely reported to be non. What was yours?

cracked butt
September 20, 2004, 01:51 AM
Hve you tried shooting it since? You might be suprised that it still shoots decent. Try running a tight patch coated with JB bore paste or brasso through the barrel a few dozen times, followed by a regular cleaning- it will get the rust out and might smoothen out the pitting a bit. I have a mauser that had a bore so bad that I couldn't see through that I cleaned this way- its still dark and pitted, but shoots real good.

BamBam-31
September 20, 2004, 02:03 AM
Time to go .308.

Bwana John
September 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
Get a nice newish GI barrel, dont worry about the date. Get some new wood, and a park job while your are at it, you will be happy with "new" rifle. M-1s arnt suspossed to match.

VG
September 20, 2004, 12:43 PM
There are always a lot of barrels for sale on eBay, and some very reputable sellers.

You will really pay for an early war barrel, though. I'd leave it the way it is and keep shooting until you wear it out.

joab
September 20, 2004, 12:58 PM
Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/MParts.htm) Has some for $200

R.H. Lee
September 20, 2004, 01:04 PM
What cb said. It doesn't matter what it looks like if it shoots. I've owned old milsurp rifles with terrible looking bores that shot just fine. :)

PinnedAndRecessed
September 20, 2004, 01:18 PM
What about Wolf ammo? I understand it come from Russia. Anybody ever have problems with corrosion?

mainmech48
September 20, 2004, 03:09 PM
Don't forget to check out your gas system. There may be some deterioration there as well.

I'd second the recommendation to consider conversion to 7.62 NATO if you're going to the trouble and expense of a rebuild. Unless it's one of the extremely rare Garands that haven't been refurbed with mixed 'drawing number' several times in its life, I don't think that there's much 'collector' value to be retained, IMO.

Unless your interest is more in it's value to you as an artifact to be preserved in as close to 'original' configuration as possible, it's a lot more practical to shoot in 7.62x51 than in .30/06. Except for the marking on the barrel and the filler block in the mag well it looks, functions and feels just the same. No modification needed to clips, op rod springs or anything else to keep it running.

Ammo is cheaper and there are many more sources to choose from. Most of it will run more consistently accurate than the old M2 .30/06 ball, and will be NC in almost all cases.

All I know is that I get to shoot my Garand a lot more because it's .308 than I could afford to were it still .30/06. Works for me.

Ash
September 20, 2004, 04:10 PM
Try cleaning and then shooting your barrel before trashing it. Most rust, if that recent, will clean up fairly easy. Besides, slightly pitted barrels usually shoot just fine. Before you spend money, be certain you need to. You might end up wasting money on a new barrel when the old one was still a good shooter.

Ash

Snowdog
September 20, 2004, 04:15 PM
You didn't happen to buy the stuff from SOG, did you? Practically all the ammunition they sell is listed as non-corrosive (including the Turkish 8x57 (http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition.html) that essentially defines "corrosive surplus").
I sometimes wonder how many barrels have been ruined due in part to their false advertising. It's a shame, as they seem to be an excellent company otherwise. :(

GrayBear
September 20, 2004, 04:43 PM
If it's a shooter and not a show gun, you should try it out first. While not a Garand, I picked up a Czech Mauser a couple of years ago. The bore was fairly bad but the gun was cheap and I intended to have it rebarreled.

After shooting it, at first with surplus Turk 8X57, it has wound up keeping it's old barrel. I've rarely had such an accurate rifle. I even still shoot a lot of corrosive Turk ammo, just swabbing the bore with wet patches if I do not clean it promptly.

GrayBear

If you enjoyed reading about "Just trashed my Garand barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!