Best place to get a stripped flattop AR15 upper receiver?

PDA

Oleg Volk
September 19, 2004, 08:13 PM
I'd like to convert my A2 rifle to flat top. Bushmaster V-Match is $140something. Any better deals out there?

Also, please advise on the best rear sight for a flat-top.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to get a stripped flattop AR15 upper receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Parke1
September 19, 2004, 08:17 PM
Check www.model1sales.com

Some people have mixed feelings about the company, but I'm building my third rifle using their upper components now, and I have no complaints whatsoever.

-Parke1

Bridger
September 19, 2004, 09:05 PM
I like my Rock River Arms flat top from www.adcofirearms.com

They are a great shop, good shipping prices too, and a good selection of AR goodies.

Bridger
September 19, 2004, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah, and for rear sights I have a ARMS #40 as a backup to the ACOG. But if you want A2 style sights you can get a removeable carry handle, or one of the LMT chopped handles, which is basically just the sight portion.

Harry Tuttle
September 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
there are deals to be had on slightly blemed uppers

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=195676&page=1

No4Mk1
September 20, 2004, 12:15 AM
I purchased one of these "slightly blemished" uppers. Let me tell you, this is the best deal going on flat-top uppers at the moment. Blemishes are VERY hard to spot, and by the third or fourth trip to the range they will be impossible to spot....

Just do it!:D

YammyMonkey
September 20, 2004, 03:12 AM
Check out Del-Ton (www.del-ton.com) they have really good prices, reasonable shipping and I've heard nothing but good things about them over on AR15.com. Ordered some post-AWB goodies from them last week, should be here tomorrow...can't wait!

Steve Smith
September 20, 2004, 08:35 AM
Oleg, contact me offline.

Onmilo
September 20, 2004, 10:04 AM
Brownells has Evolution Gun Works flattop uppers for about $125.00
These are Mil-Spec hard anodized, the color is right, the dimensions are right and it features numbered picatinney rail slots.
These uppers are completely stripped so you will need to install the ejection port cover and the bolt forward assist.

Bartholomew Roberts
September 20, 2004, 10:30 AM
Well, all of the suggestions I would have made for a flattop upper are all made already.

On backup sights, are you looking for a folding sight or a fixed sight? Larue and LMT do a nice fixed rear iron sight (assuming you like the A2 style of sights) and all the folding sights involve various tradeoffs.

I'm running the ARMS #40. You need to loctite the lock nut on it and it is fairly tall for a folding sight. If the shaved small aperture bothers you, you can get the unshaved aperture (#40A) or replace the existing aperture with any of the same apertures that work in A2 sights. It makes a nice general purpose back-up sight; but like everything else, you make some tradeoffs.

For shooting at targets, I am very fond of the KAC 600m folding sight. It is elevation adjustable and compact. The downside is the aperture is small and difficult to use in low light. This sight is also expensive; but I'll probably be buying one when I can afford it.

September 20, 2004, 10:31 AM
Pat Rogers jumped in here the other day an offered up his two cents on the AR15. In his opinion, the best rear sights are :
"BUIS are necessary. The KAC 300m, Troy Industries flip up, Larue or LMT Fixed sights are all very good."

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101048

I have owned the GG&G, an ARMs #40. and the Troy Industries. I haven't done a whole lot of shooting with any of them. I consider them BUIS so I zeroed and not much more but, I thought all the sights I owned were fine for their intended purpose.

Bartholomew Roberts
September 20, 2004, 11:06 AM
The KAC 300m is a nice backup as well; but it is expensive and it is easy to lose the plastic insert for the smaller apeture, leaving you with only the larger aperture to work with.

If you are only looking at it as a back-up sight, then that won't be too big a deal; but if you are like me and still like to work the irons at different ranges, the missing plastic insert makes that tough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best place to get a stripped flattop AR15 upper receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!