CCI percussion caps

PDA

pinblaster
September 19, 2004, 08:59 PM
Has anyone had problems with CCI caps ? I was shooting my TC Renegade today and I had alot of caps fail to fire even after trying twice with the same cap . I got disgusted and put the gun away after 3 shots . I think I'll go back to Remington caps .

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI percussion caps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smokemaker
September 19, 2004, 10:10 PM
I've tried the CCI's and think they're crap. I went back to Remington #11's too.

Sistema1927
September 19, 2004, 10:18 PM
Those new fangled percussion caps will never catch on. Nothing like a good piece of dressed flint and a pan full of FFFFg.

4v50 Gary
September 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
I've always had good luck with CCI caps. However, all my caps are at least 4 years old. Must be a new priming compound. :uhoh:

Anybody else have bad luck with CCI?

pinblaster
September 19, 2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys , I bought the CCI's at Wally World last fall but didn't need them until today . :cuss: Sistema 1927 , you might be right , there was a guy at the range shooting a flintlock and he wasn't having any problems . I might get a flintlock one day but right now I need more money not more guns . :D

Mark whiz
September 20, 2004, 01:58 AM
I use CCI caps and never had a problem.............BUT, I use the CCI Magnums. I did fire about 2 tins of regular CCIs as well and didn't have any misfires - but I did inspect them and found several that I culled out because they looked like they had little to no compound in the cups.

I never had that problem with the Mag caps and they aren't too strong to use on any BP firearm as I use them on my cap & ball revolver and rifle.

stevelyn
September 20, 2004, 10:58 AM
I use the CCI Magnums for my .54 GPR. I've never had a cap misfire yet and they always manage to light off charges of Triple 7 when I load correctly.

beardking
September 21, 2004, 03:37 PM
stevelyn and Mark whiz, when you say that you are using CCI Magnum caps, are you still talking about using #11 percussion caps, or are you talking about using primers for reloading?

Mark whiz
September 21, 2004, 06:57 PM
That is correct I'm talking about the CCI #11Mag caps NOT smokeless primers.

beardking
September 21, 2004, 06:59 PM
Aha. OK. I'll have to look for those. I haven't seen them (but then again, I haven't looked either)

1858remington
October 5, 2004, 11:09 AM
I've used CCI caps with no problems. If your having problems try RWS caps, they have been the most reliable for me so far.

Remington caps have been the bane of my shooting, multiple failures to detonate.

I had a problem with a caplock failing to detonate a cap, but it turned out to be an alignment problem with the hammer and the nipple. The niipple sat too far into the gun, so the hammer couldn't hit it proper.

EvilOmega
October 6, 2004, 01:01 PM
I hade some problems with failing to ignite the powder charge with my remington caps so my dad gace me some cci's. They work fine and he says they're popular with the shooters at the CMLGC.

stevelyn
October 7, 2004, 11:33 AM
Beardking,

The CCI magnum caps are designated as #11M and are marked as such on the tins.
I forgot to mention that I replaced the Lyman nipple on my rifle with a Hotshot nipple that delivers more fire to the charge.

beardking
October 7, 2004, 11:36 AM
Stevelyn, thanks for the clarification there. Of course, as of yesterday, I don't really need to worry about it that much. I just bought a new inline muzzleloader, so now I've got to figure out the whole 209 thing. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI percussion caps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!