Moly Coated Bullets?

PDA

Sulaco
September 20, 2004, 02:44 PM
I bought some Winchester Supreme Fail Safes for my 30-06 not knowing they were moly coated. Should I shoot them or not? The gun is new.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moly Coated Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atek3
September 20, 2004, 04:14 PM
ask over on the competition forums, a lot of them use moly. I compete and shoot moly. after the barrel is broken in clean it down to bare metal. Then shoot the fail safes a few times to let the zero settle, then you are good as gold.

atek3

30Cal
September 20, 2004, 09:55 PM
To get the benefits of moly, you will need to start with a barrel completely devoid of copper fouling. Supposedly, it'll take about ten rounds for the moly to plate the inside of the barrel before the POI stabilizes.

Personally, I haven't seen that the POI shifts much in the first few rounds. I haven't seen much change in POI the few times I've been forced to mix moly and non-coated bullets, but then again, I was shooting at short range (300yds or less).

If you enjoyed reading about "Moly Coated Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!