Rainbow Bridge NM and Monument Valley

PDA

Skunkabilly
September 20, 2004, 02:45 PM
Neither are national parks but one is a National Monument and the other is on Navajo (IIRC) land.

Will a Utah and Arizona CCW get me there and back?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainbow Bridge NM and Monument Valley" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Leatherneck
September 20, 2004, 03:02 PM
Skunk,
National Monuments are every bit as gun-unfriendly as National Parks. They fall under the same CFRs.

Indian lands are governed by the tribes, independent of any other agency IIRC (maybe FBI has authority there). I'd bet a box of ammo that the tribes restrict either all carry, or at least for non-tribe folks. :mad:

TC
TFL Survivor

Skunkabilly
September 20, 2004, 03:11 PM
Aye. Karambit it is.

Chairman Meow
September 20, 2004, 06:11 PM
Actually, national monuments are not always as gun-unfriendly as national parks. I drove through one this past weekend on a hunting trip and the signs just said I had to unload the guns and case them. I took the mag out of my .45 and stuck the gun into a rug behind the seat until I had left the park. If it were a national park I don't think I could even pass through legally.

SMLE
September 20, 2004, 08:31 PM
New Mexico has NO reciprocity what so ever. While there are States that recognize our CHLs, we don't recognize theirs. Also Indian land is it's own special legal morass.

XLMiguel
September 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
Hurmph, VA honors NM permit, but not the other way around. Bummer:rolleyes:

I own some land there, have to see about a non-resident permitnext time out. At least open carry isn't a big deal there.

SMLE
September 20, 2004, 10:33 PM
Mike, NM dosen't have a non-res permit yet either.:mad:

That's just one of the things on our legislative wish list for the next session.

hjrocket
September 20, 2004, 10:40 PM
Rainbow Bridge is in Utah. Monument Valley is in Utah/Arizona.
New Mexico has no part of either. Utah and Arizona have recip on CWP.

sendec
September 20, 2004, 11:29 PM
Have'nt been to either, but have been nearby and they should be spectacular.

Oh, yeah, they dont want guns there.

Hawkmoon
September 21, 2004, 09:51 AM
Monument Valley, as already noted, is a Navajo Tribal Park. Neaest town is Kayenta, AZ, but the park entrance is across the line in Utah. I don't know if any of the park extends back into AZ -- I didn't think so but had no reason to check when I was there several years ago.

Federal and state laws do not apply. Carry and possession of firearms will be subject to Navajo tribal law. You should check that out before you go there. I don't know if even the FOPA applies on reservations, but the fact remains that if you visit Monument Valley you are not "traveling through" you are making it a destination (albeit of short duration). There is no main road that passes through the park on the way to somewhere else. The park entrance road branches off the state highway, brings you to a park entrance with the obligatory souvenir shop, and you have to buy an entry permit and then drive down a winding dirt road to reach the valley floor. Once on the floor there's a loop road around the park. As far as I know the only exit (at least for the visiting public) is out the same way you came in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainbow Bridge NM and Monument Valley" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!