Any word on the Taurus 24/7?

PDA

Big Mike
September 21, 2004, 07:34 AM
Anyone shoot/own one to comment? Below is the 12 rd. .45. I don't believe it is out yet, but the 9mm is...Mike

http://www.taurususa.com/imagesMain/H_24-745B.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Any word on the Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
September 21, 2004, 01:36 PM
Held them quite often at the past show. I can't imagine it not feeling good to shoot with such a nice feeling grip! Both Guns Magazine and Handgunner had a review. Haven't seen any major recall type complaints about it, which is always a good sign for any new gun.

Chupacabra
September 21, 2004, 02:25 PM
I handled one at a gunshop a couple months ago. Great grip and the trigger was pretty good. It would make a great CCW gun. I've been thinking about getting one now that normal capacity mags can be purchased.

Grayrider
September 21, 2004, 03:22 PM
I handled one last weekend. It had a really good feel and pointed quite naturally. I was also impressed with its dimensions, as it was quite slim. The trigger was long and a bit gritty, although not terribly heavy. I suspect it would smooth up with use. I noticed on their web site that the forthcoming 45 will hold 12 rounds and have roughly the same dimensions at the 9 and 40. That sounds quite interesting. I would welcome a range report from someone.

GR

Preacherman
September 21, 2004, 05:00 PM
I saw a couple at the range last weekend. Both shooters had just bought them, and were trying them out for the first time: they let me shoot them, too. Both guns exhibited numerous FTF's, FTE's, etc., and I was very unimpressed... Of course, this could be part of the "break-in period blues", but given that I've taken SIG's, Glocks, etc. "out of the box" and had zero malfunctions from round 1 onward, I won't be trusting my life to a Taurus 24/7!

:what: :fire: :mad:

denfoote
September 21, 2004, 05:43 PM
Yup!!
Sounds like they are typical Tauri!!
People have yet to realize that Taurus has no in house product testing/QA department. The gun buying public, coupled with the infamous guarantee, IS their QA/QC dept. !!!!!! :banghead:

Onmilo
September 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
We carry them at the store where I gunsmith.
They are kind of a pain to take apart but they feel very good and most of the women that have handled them can hand cycle the action as well as the men.
The trigger pull is good, not spectacular, but good for a service grade weapon.
The sights are excellent and would only benefit from the application of tritium vials in them.
I like the way the gun feels in the hand but have not had an opportunity to shoot one yet.
High capacity magazines should be available shortly.

cratz2
September 21, 2004, 09:01 PM
I'm no Taurus basher... far from it... I've personally always had very good experience, based on my rather limited experience of only owning two. :p

Generally, the PT92/99 series are very reliable. The smaller PT111 types, in my experience, have been less than perfect to say the least.

For ergonomics, the 24/7 is AWESOME for my hands. As is the Steyr. Almost on par with 1911s, CZs and BHPs. But as CZs have been consistantly very reliable for me, I'd need some pretty serious convincing to try out a 24/7. Maybe if I could put a couple hundred rounds through the actual gun I would be buying, I might consider it. Also, with a bit shorter grip more similar to the length of the G19/G23 or CZ PCR/P-01 holding 9 or 10 rounds of 45... Might be pretty sweet if it proved reliable.

Any word on if the 45s (if available) are more expensive than the 9s?

Ultrastar
September 21, 2004, 10:52 PM
Can the Mil-Pro series use the 24/7 mags? I'm mainly interested in the PT-111 and the PT-145. Thanks

Flashpoint
September 22, 2004, 02:11 AM
Which would be a better gun for CCW the 24/7 in .45 or the Taurus pt945?

The 945s that I have handled seem to pretty good guns, but the 24/7 will hold more rounds and would be lighter. But the trigger on the 945 felt nice and light, and I would think it would be thinner.

Big Bad Wolf
September 22, 2004, 09:25 AM
I fondled one today and was impressed. It felt very good in the hand, the slide was very smooth and the trigger was very nice as well. I was surprised how thin it was and the sights were pretty good for stock. It was $439 NIB with the stainless slide. Overall I liked it but my experience with Taurus previously will keep me from trying it unfortunately.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any word on the Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!