Selling my blinged BHP in Austin - what shops have fair trade-ins?

PDA

Dorrin79
September 21, 2004, 01:53 PM
While my pre MKII nickled Hi-Power is gorgeous, the small sights and tiny safety (plus the not-so durable finish) make me reluctant to carry it. Since I have no use for a safe queen, I'd like to trade it for a BHP Practical or a MKIII that I will probably send off for some customization.

Does McBride's here in Austin offer fair trade-in pricing? Red's wants $650 for a new BHP so I'm not going to bother with them. Are there any other places in town that have good trade-in deals?

Thanks!

(BTW, if any THRers are interested just PM me)

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling my blinged BHP in Austin - what shops have fair trade-ins?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dorrin79
September 21, 2004, 04:12 PM
actually it just dawned on me that I could send this HP to Don Williams and turn it into a custom piece.

Would that be wrong, seeing as how it is an uncommon model?

MrAcheson
September 21, 2004, 04:44 PM
It would be nice if you could sell it to a collector who would appreciate it and love it for what it is. If not, then I think customizing it yourself is equally as valid as trading it in to some shop.

alamo
September 21, 2004, 05:09 PM
You could take it to Cost + 10% on Burnet LANE and sell it on consignment.

rick_reno
September 21, 2004, 07:54 PM
I had favorable experiences in dealings with McBrides when I was down that way. They always seemed fair.

jc2
September 21, 2004, 08:47 PM
McBride's has always been fair with me. It's always worth the trip to Austin to go McBride's.

Majic
September 21, 2004, 09:00 PM
Generally don't plan on ever getting much on a trade with a dealer. He has to lowball you so he can make money on the resale. You will always come out better selling it yourself.

Dorrin79
September 21, 2004, 10:25 PM
Good to know that McBride's is allright - i've bought guns from them, but never sold/traded.

Perhaps I'll head by there this saturday and see what kind of a trade they can give me - and if it's not good enough, off to Action Gun Works it goes.

alamo
September 22, 2004, 12:14 AM
I like to look at McBrides but rarely buy. Prices are often outrageous but possibly since they mark them up so much maybe you'll get a better price.

A friend bought a new S&W Model 642 two weeks ago at Cost + 10% for $329. I saw the same at McBrides last week for $575.

I'll never forget the time a few years ago when they were trying to sell Autauga .32s for $600 (apparently as comparable to a Seecamp when they commanded such prices). Heritage Firearms had the at the same time for $300. The Autauga is a nice little .32, I have 2 of them, but $600?

I'd still give Jim at Cost +10% a call and see what he gets for consignment sales (probably 10%). If it doesn't work out, you can always go to McBrides.

TheDutchman
September 22, 2004, 01:57 PM
Heritage Firearms has MKIII .40 cal for $499

SADshooter
September 22, 2004, 04:37 PM
I hear lots about Cost+10%'s prices, but my wife had a very unpleasant experience there and I won't go back.FWIW.

HankB
September 22, 2004, 04:51 PM
Dealers have to make money. On used guns, they're probably looking to get a 100% markup. I'd go for either a local consignment sale or advertise it on Gunbroker.

McBride'$ is an expen$ive place to buy anything. A couple of years ago they had an "overstock" box with miscellaneous loose magazines . . . looking through it, I found a nice 10 rd Browning HP mag - the one with the little mousetrap spring at the bottom. I figured it would be cheap, seeing as it was unwrapped and in the overstock box.

I asked the saleman "how much?" He didn't know - no tag - so he asked the boss. The price was $35 . . . full MSRP!

I left it for someone else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling my blinged BHP in Austin - what shops have fair trade-ins?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!