AWB mag conversions possible?

PDA

ShaiVong
September 21, 2004, 07:01 PM
I tried searching for this, but I couldnt find an answer so here goes.

Is it possible to convert preban mags to postban capacity? I'm not talking legally here, I know its legal, I'm talking physically possible.

I have like 4 Glock 22 mags that I would rather convert than replace, seeing how a 10 round mag is silly when you can get a 15.

I have a 10 round bushmaster mag that I'm sure cant be, as they superglued the bottom plate on, but I don't know what the deal is with Glock.

If you enjoyed reading about "AWB mag conversions possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TallPine
September 21, 2004, 07:18 PM
take them apart and see if there is some kind of block that can be removed

Deavis
September 21, 2004, 07:50 PM
No offense, I understand what you are trying to do but don't waste your time. Mags are so cheap now that it isn't worth the amount of time and reliability issues you will have. This is like asking if you can turn you normally aspirated 300ZX into a twin turbo charged 300ZX. It is cheaper to buy the bad boy in the first place.

1) Many mags achieved the 10 round capacity by indenting the sides of the mags. You would have to break the weld to remove that indention

2) Many mags had a baseplate difference with a block of some sort (HK, Walther) and they cannot "just" accept the normal baseplate

Once again, not to be harsh, just go buy the real deal and save yourself the hassle.

Amish_Bill
September 21, 2004, 08:42 PM
The prime criteria for an ATF approved post-ban mag was that it be darn-near impossible for the mag to me modified to take more than 10 rounds. That's why so many of the 10 round mags were built so tight that the last round almost couldn't fit in. They wanted to err on the side of not being in the ATF's sights.

Your best bet is to sell your neutered mags to someone in a non-free state (like CA) who are still limited to 10 rounders. take that money and put it into new standard mags.

WhoKnowsWho
September 21, 2004, 11:00 PM
The prime criteria for an ATF approved post-ban mag was that it be darn-near impossible for the mag to me modified to take more than 10 rounds.

Kel-Tec is supposed to be selling follower and spring conversions for the P-11 mag to increase its capacity.

Amish_Bill
September 21, 2004, 11:20 PM
It would have to be along the lines of a +2 baseplate. Swapping out a follower was much too transparent a trick for the ATF guys to let slide for a legal post-ban 10 rounder.

Wiley
September 22, 2004, 07:52 AM
ShaiVong:

Re: superglue. Acetone (nail polish remover) will disolve superglue. Also, a good hobby store will have superglue remover. CAUTION: Acetone will attack plastic!

All in all you will be better off just replacing your mags as you have the money.

lee n. field
September 22, 2004, 08:56 AM
Some.

I've got some John Masen 10 round mags for the Mini-14. Swapping the follower (and base -- you have to break it to get it off) for a Ruger parts ups the capacity to a whopping 14 rounds.

A buddy of mine with some Colt AR-15 magazines says they used an easily removed spacer to hobble the magazine.

ponyexpress
September 22, 2004, 09:45 AM
I wondered this myself because when I was cleaning my HK mags for the USP, it appeared that all you had to do was cut off two posts sticking up from the baseplate.

I'll be honest though, I don't know if I'll ever try it. HK parts are too expensive to screw up. I think I'm just going to keep my eye out for a good price on some standard capacity mags.

Amish_Bill
September 22, 2004, 10:15 AM
I'm really surprised by that. The ATF was being fairly cranky with manufacturers and their post-ban mag designs. -- see the DPMS polymer 10s, the Glock 10s, the Beretta factory tens, Bushmaster tens, etc.

ShaiVong
September 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
OK. I've examined the glock mags throughly and compared them to preban mag pictures.

This is my theory: The inside of the mag is forged with two ridges that run along both sides of the inside of the mag. Think USGI AR15 mags. Initially I thought this was just for stability, but I think its to reduce the usable inside volume.

The mags are injection moulded plastic over a steel shaft, and this ridge is built into both. Completely un-convertable. :banghead:

Amish_Bill
September 22, 2004, 05:57 PM
ShaiVong, you are completely right. The ridges reduce the amount a round can shift to the side in a double-stack mag.

The Beretta 10s have a large ridge pressed into the sides of the mag from top to bottom that makes them nearly single-stack. The Walther P99 10s have the metal body cut short and the baseplate is very, very thick/long so that it can reach the end of the magwell. The DPMS are molded to only be big enough for 10 rounds of .223. Any post-ban mag that can be properly converted is an anomaly.

If you enjoyed reading about "AWB mag conversions possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!