Gun Clubs and Dues

PDA

mpthole
September 22, 2004, 12:21 PM
Gun Clubs and Dues

I'm interested in hearing about how your local gun club determines their yearly dues and membership requirements.

With my club this seems to be an annual topic of discussion. Some folks want to raise the dues and others want to keep them the same. Some members would like to push for mandatory "work days" for every club member so that the same 20 or 30 people don't always end up doing the majority of the work.

How does your club balance dues and membership requirements?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Clubs and Dues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mikul
September 22, 2004, 12:51 PM
We base it on need. Our dues didn't move for seven years when our expenses outpaced our income even with the same number of members, so we increased it by 30%. It's likely to sit there for another seven years.

The work party requirements were determined because maintaining the club became too much of a chore for the same 10 people. They needed more help, asked for it repeatedly, and it never came, so members are asked to perform some work at the club each year or pay an additional $25 when their renewal comes due.

Our main costs are INSURANCE and utilities.

JonnyB
September 22, 2004, 12:55 PM
Our local club:

Dues - $40

Requirements - $40 (the same forty dollars)

JB

Mad Man
September 22, 2004, 02:01 PM
The whole "work bond" requirement prevented me from joining any private club for several years.

It's hard enough to make time to drive out to any range (1 hour +) to actually shoot.

I'm not motivated enough to drive out that far to do labor with people I may not know (or even not like), when I have so many home improvement/repair projects tha need to be done.

Fortunately, I found a place that does not require a work bond, but does reduce membership dues for any volunteer work done.

The net result is the same, but the psychology of it is completely different. If I can help out, I can. But I don't worry about being obligated to.

I think the "work bond" requirement is something that may turn-off potential members (and therefore, potential new shooters) whose lives are busy enough with work/family/home etc.

Mastrogiacomo
September 22, 2004, 02:15 PM
Forget the exact amount but the dues are a little over $100. I too barely have time to use the range but try whenever I can. I don't use the indoor range ever so it's a seasonal thing only.

If I don't have time to shoot, I've no time to work for free either.

Smoke
September 22, 2004, 02:30 PM
Local range (the only one) First time $50.00 annual
Renewal $35.00

No guns to rent. Nobody on duty. No work requirement. Rarely anyone there.

If the grass is too tall. Mow it yourself or don't complain. Something broke? Fix it.

Seems to work.

Smoke

JohnBT
September 22, 2004, 04:16 PM
One range I belong to charges $50 a year. This year for the first time they've instituted a reward program to encourage the volunteers to show up. For every hour of work you get a 'ticket' for the prize drawing at the end of the year. I don't remember the list of prizes, but they're pretty nice(but not as nice as the GlockTalk raffle prizes.)

The range I use the most charges $75 and they do all of the work.

John

confinedbythecurtain
September 22, 2004, 04:47 PM
Any gun clubs in the Los Angeles/Orange County area? It might save me some money.

rick_reno
September 22, 2004, 04:55 PM
Our range is city owned and fees are $20 a year and includes a year membership ($10) in the local sportsmans association. Non-member fees are $5 per shooter per visit. Shooters are supplied with a target, target stand, hearing and eye protection (if needed), a spotting scope and a bench and chair. The range area is covered. Here (http://www.cityofsandpoint.com/Parks%20&%20Rec/Range/Range_Promo.htm) is a link to pictures and a description of our range.

CB900F
September 22, 2004, 05:03 PM
Fella's;

The best range I've ever had the pleasure of using was the Stukenhoff public range in Casper Wyoming. As it was a city facility, all you paid was dues, city worker's maintained it. Dues covered costs as I understand it. At the time I left, gate privilege dues were $35.00 a year I think. That allowed you through the gate at any time. If you didn't want that, daily dues were under $5.00, pretty cheap.

The situation where I am now, Great Falls Montana, quite frankly drove me off. I quit paying dues, dues, & more dues. Dues to the facility, dues to the rifle club range, dues to the trap range, dues to the pistol range, other ranges = more dues. I'm building my own much further out of town on our own property.

900F

gigmike
September 22, 2004, 05:04 PM
My range, Tacoma Rifle and Revolver, charges $60 for annual dues and requires 8 hours of volunteered time per year. You can pay $80 additional and opt out of the 8 hours of work. This is a new policy and while there's been some griping the place looks great and everything functions. I'm not complaining.

Highpower1
September 22, 2004, 05:24 PM
Riverbend Gun Club in GA.

500 for new members (one time only)

200 a year after that.

Must have 2 members sign for you so that you can be voted on and join.

Bunch of grumpy men that are a pain in the rear that you have to deal with. I'm looking for a new club. They only cater to Sheet/Trap shooters, not real training there.

George S.
September 22, 2004, 05:38 PM
My range, Tacoma Rifle and Revolver, charges $60 for annual dues and requires 8 hours of volunteered time per year. You can pay $80 additional and opt out of the 8 hours of work. This is a new policy and while there's been some griping the place looks great and everything functions. I'm not complaining.

I'm also a member of TRRC and I don't mind the extra charge. Being retired, I can take some time to do some work around the ranges and what's neat about this new system is that it's a honor system. You really don't have to show up any any of the scheduled work parties.

There are sheets available with lists of things to do. Just do some work, fill out the new form for the work you did and how long it took you and submit it with your dues renewal.

MikeK
September 22, 2004, 08:31 PM
Range badge - $150 a year. Used to be $50 3 years ago and for many years before. They never made gradual increases and had to buy some real estate next door. They learned when someone put houses on the hill above the range and the complaints started coming in. $45 club membership (several clubs and you must join one.)

It is all outdoors - pistol, rifle (100 and 200 yard) and limited trap. Nice clubhouse(s) and grounds that have been fixed up recently. I need to get out there more often. I don't want to compute the average hourly cost.

cerberus
September 22, 2004, 09:15 PM
At our local indoor range the cheapest you can get off is $75 a year and $13 each time you shoot. If you pay $150 a year then there is no fee each time you shoot. I read where some ranges charge on a 30 Min. use rate so I guess I don't have such a bad deal.:)

monsternav
September 22, 2004, 11:13 PM
$125 a year, 2 members to sign, vote in etc... We do IDPA, 3-gun, BR50 (informal), skeet and High Power. No work requirement, when things need to be done the Club Officers ask for volunteers.

BobCat
September 23, 2004, 11:34 AM
$140 per year, up from $80 - two years ago. Of this, $35 goes into an escrow fund for eventual lead "remediation" at the facility we lease, and $25 goes for periodic lead cleanup.

We have two facilities, one leased from Corps of Engineers, one club owned, in different parts of town. Pistol (informal, Bullseye, and Silhouette) and smallbore rifle (informal and Silhouette) at the first facility - but no centerfire rifle. At the second, informal shotgun, pistol (3/7/15 yard, 25/50 yard, but no formal matches); rifle (100 yard, 200/300 yard, 600/1,000 yard) Highpower Matches but no Rifle Silhouette yet.

The club South of us has much more resonable dues, a full Highpower range (out to 600 yards), pistol and I think shotgun.

I'm afraid range fees / club dues in general are on their way up, owing to growing concerns about the eventual cleanup of lead in the berms. I hope I'm wrong.

Purrrs,
BobCat
http://www.bayourifles.org

BobCat
September 23, 2004, 11:41 AM
$140 per year, up from $80 - two years ago. Of this, $35 goes into an escrow fund for eventual lead "remediation" at the facility we lease, and $25 goes for periodic lead cleanup.

We have two facilities, one leased from Corps of Engineers, one club owned, in different parts of town. Pistol (informal, Bullseye, and Silhouette) and smallbore rifle (informal and Silhouette) at the first facility - but no centerfire rifle. At the second, informal shotgun, pistol (3/7/15 yard, 25/50 yard, but no formal matches); rifle (100 yard, 200/300 yard, 600/1,000 yard) Highpower Matches but no Rifle Silhouette yet.

We do ask new members to come to a work party day during their first year, and sort of expect old members to pitch in as well - but many do not.

The club South of us has much more resonable dues, a full Highpower range (out to 600 yards), pistol and I think shotgun.

I'm afraid range fees / club dues in general are on their way up, owing to growing concerns about the eventual cleanup of lead in the berms. I hope I'm wrong.

Purrrs,
BobCat
http://www.bayourifles.org

md2lgyk
September 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
My club's annual dues are $40, and haven't changed in a number of years. We also have an annual 4-hour work requirement, and requirements to compete in at least one scheduled match per year and attend at least one monthly meeting.

md2lgyk
September 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
My club's annual dues are $40, and haven't changed in a number of years. We also have an annual 4-hour work requirement, and requirements to compete in at least one scheduled match per year and attend at least one monthly meeting.

Pappy John
September 23, 2004, 07:44 PM
Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers.....$45/year. ~2000 members. Lots of facilities....Indoor to 25 yards, two rifle ranges for 50 and 100 yards, seperate black powder range, PPC range and bullseye range for pistols, archery, trap, and skeet.

Boone Run Sportsmen.....$125/year. 8 members. More of a hunting camp, but we have a 50 and 100 yard range with two covered benches.

Eskimo Jim
September 23, 2004, 08:28 PM
I looked at a number of clubs.

The clubs that turned me off typically had the following in common:
1) cost prohibitive dues $200 or more per year

2) Initiation fee -does it really cost so much to print up an application and "process" it?

3) excessive safety class -I required by the state to take a 8 hour or more safety course, why do I need another one? I'm bright enough to read the safety rules and sign an agreement to follow the safety rules

4) mandatory work days -I'm busy enough as it is without being REQUIRED to do more stuff

5) Probabtion period -What differenced would it make if someone had a gross lapse of judgement 4 months after joining a club or 4 years. Perhaps the best is to make them take a safety class (again) or then take disciplinary action

6) charged some outrageous fee for the rest of my family to shoot too. $100 for an indivudual and another $100 if my wife wants to come out with me occaisionally? Geesh

7) No guests -how else am I going to convince a non-gun owner to spend $$$ on a firearm, supplies and club membership if they don't get a chance to see if they like it? Shoot, at least let me bring a guest if a range officer is present or something.

8) Lack of facilities -I want to do pistol, rifle and archery at the same place. Maybe even do a little fishing or a nice walk in the woods.

The club that I ended up joining only lacks in the no guest policy. Other than that, I pay $50 a year for outdoor pistol and rifle ranges, indoor pistol, outdoor archery, trap, skeet, fishing pond, air rifle range. the only cost on top of the $50 is trap and skeet rounds and competition fees which are usually pretty cheap. If I want to get involved in the club, I'm welcome to do so but it isn't held against me if I choose not to.

Good luck.

-Jim

BlkHawk73
September 24, 2004, 06:32 PM
The range/club I used to belong to was, I believe, $50/yr for dues and a minimum amount of "volunteer time" was required. failure to give the time would bring your membership up for vote the following year rather than just renewing. That I didn't mind since it was only 20 minutes away andmost always quiet there. New rules and limitations put strangleholds on the range uses so most - ok, nearly all of my guns were useless there if shot with thier intended purpose. That and a few personal differences pushed me to join a different club.
No for $125/yr I drive 15 minutes and can shoot any legal firearm from 25 yrds out to 200yrds using 3 ranges as well as skeet/trap on another seperate range. More organzied and finacially stable. Much better facilities and fairly aggressive growth. Each committee of the club ahs members that do most of the work but they do ask for volunteers and somewhat expect everyone to help out at least for one event/work day each year.

So...

$125, 25yd handgun/.22, 50 yd handgun/.22, 100yd, 200yd, trap all just 15 minutes away.

TallPine
September 24, 2004, 07:06 PM
I dropped my range membership last year when we moved out of town and onto 40 acres - can now shoot right out behind the garage.

The last year (2002) the yearly dues at the range 1 mile our of town were still $25. No supervision, and a combination lock on the gate so you could go out there whenever you want.

The biggest trouble was finding someone to pay your dues to when the new year came. They griped that no one came to meetings, but often it would be moved or cancelled at the last minute.

One of the old guys was always bitching about having to replace target boards. He lived about 2 blocks from me, so I told him to come by when he wanted to do some work out there, and I would help him unless I was too busy with work. He never bothered to come by, and frankly I am glad not to hear his bitching anymore.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
September 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
Buckeye Gun Club...........

First and formost a shotgun/bow/black powder hunting club with a 100 yard range.

Requirements to join:

Current NJ hunting license
Current FID card
Represented by a member in good standing
Be present to be voted into membership
Work an 8 hour a year work party for fixing stuff

Dues: $250.00 a year (taxes suck)

Benefits:

Reservation of club for private use during certain times of the year
Large rancher style cabin w/too many conveniences to list
Shooting range open to members w/no nazi supervision
Bring who you like to shoot with at no extra charge

A great place to just get away from everything!

RW3

PS: Guys that don't want to do work weekends and such:

Somebody's got to do it and those 5 or 6 somebody's get tired of being the work force for the rest of the club. Especially since the "complainers" are usually the ones that don't show up and lend a hand. We have lives too.

(Sorry for the rant. The guys complaining about work requirements hit a REAL raw nerve with that one)

johnvid
September 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
There are several gun clubs in my area. Most need a reference from two members and they require work time or extra dues.
I just discovered an Ohio division of wildlife range 1/2 hour from my home. Their anual permit is $24.00. They are set up with 25, 50, and 100 yard ranges. Each range has 20 stations. This is where I'll do my rifle shooting.

Mad Man
September 25, 2004, 11:22 AM
PS: Guys that don't want to do work weekends and such:

Somebody's got to do it and those 5 or 6 somebody's get tired of being the work force for the rest of the club. Especially since the "complainers" are usually the ones that don't show up and lend a hand. We have lives too.

(Sorry for the rant. The guys complaining about work requirements hit a REAL raw nerve with that one)

Guys who think that the work requirements are no big deal hit a raw nerve, too.

As I've pointed out, the ranges so far away that many of us barely have time to go use them, much less take time from our busy lives to go work. I would like to join gun clubs to relieve stress, not add to it with another obligation.

I can join a health club about the same amount of money -- yet they don't require members to show up several times a year to clean and maintain the place. Why is that? I would think that the maintenance requirements of a club with an actual building, machines, an HVAC system, pool, hot tub, etc., would be greater than a nearly empty piece of land with a gate and some target stands.

How many country clubs require the golfers to mow the grass and pull weeds?

I think the work requirement is just another example of a gun culture that's stuck about 30 - 40 years in the past. If they want to keep it a "good ol' boys network," fine.

But the gun culture is not going to survive if we fail to attract new members -- and the people we need to attract are urbanites and suburbanites with other obligations. They are probably going to be turned off if told they have to drive one hour each way to work, and decide that taking up shooting is just not worth it.

God knows I don't like many of the people in my clubs. I sure as hell don't want to spend any time with them.

Hopefully, there are enough people here that some of us can think of some new ways to do things -- rather than the "this is the way it's always been done" mentality I keep encountering.

TrapperReady
September 25, 2004, 12:49 PM
Ours is $40/year for a family membership. No work requirement.

grislyatoms
September 25, 2004, 01:16 PM
$120 a year.

oldfella
September 25, 2004, 02:07 PM
We have four ranges nearby - 4 miles; 15 miles; 20 miles; and 30 miles from my house. The closest one is a military installation- $10 yearly dues: pistol, rifle ans shotgun (skeet). The other two ranges charge $5 an hour, but don't clock you; and the last one is in a field in the middle of nowhere, charges $5 all day... if no one is around, you just leave the 5 bucks in a mail box.

mainmech48
September 25, 2004, 02:17 PM
Our club is a small one with rather limited facilities: rifle range to 200 yds, pistol range to 100yds, and a trap range. There is a covered bench with six stations at the 100 yd. point of the rifle range.

Dues are $25/year and all maintenance work is done by the members. While most of it seems to get done by the same 10-15 of us, places where one can go to shoot are hard enough to come by around here that most folks appreciate having one enough to clean up after themselves and show up to help out at least occasionally.

We have an informal match every Sunday morning with handgun falling plates, HP rifle, .22 rifles, and trap rotating each week. In the Fall there are Turkey Shoots every couple of weeks.

While we don't have a formal Range Officer around all of the time, we don't tolerate slobs or unsafe practices. Like a lot of ranges we're threatened by encroaching development and recognize that our best hope for survival lies in making sure that the only thing that leaves our range is noise. ANYONE observed placing targets less than 18" above the ground or farther than 5' in front of the base of the berm, using 'exploding' targets like 'tannerite', or shooting where their bullets aren't directly impacting the berm may be reported by name (any member must produce his card when asked by anyone else on the range) or license plate number to the club officers. Members are responsible for the conduct of their guests at all times. If inquiry and investigation determines that violation of posted safety or range rules has been the case (and pleading ignorance is no excuse; they're posted prominently all over the place) that person's card and key will be pulled. Gross misconduct may be reported directly to the county Sheriff and violators are subject to arrest on the spot.

While those rules might seem too Draconian for some, they're dictated by the realities of some incidents in the past and where our range is situated. We just can't tolerate behavior that places our neighbors safety and our club's existance at risk - period.

Average Guy
September 25, 2004, 02:22 PM
Any gun clubs in the Los Angeles/Orange County area? It might save me some money.

Outdoor: http://www.dmrpc.org/ (Caution: site in desperate need of a real Web designer)

Indoor: The Firing-Line, Huntington Beach http://www.sportshooter.com/socal/Firing-Line/index.htm

Many more: http://www.sportshooter.com/socal/wheretoshoot.htm

LynnMassGuy
September 25, 2004, 02:45 PM
Danvers Fish and Game.

$100 and 8 hours work a year. Most people I know have not done the 8 hours. I'd be glad to, I just have no idea what to do. Immediate family shoots free. Non-family guests pay $10 a head. The only thing that sucks is if you like to shoot in the evening you have to shoot indoors(no magnum calibers, no jacketed bullets) or use the outdoor range on Tues evening in the summer.

ken w.
September 26, 2004, 12:15 AM
I'm the president of our club and I've had to raies the dues 3 times in the past 5 years just to pay the taxes and NRA insurance.The club dues are $100.00.There are non enforced work days-1 per month and you are to show up at half of them.Next year I'm going to push for a work day fee of $25.00 that you can work off.Out of 50 members 4 do everything.I'm sure it's the usual rant about work days,but I have no life anymore because of this club.I have to mow the 5 acres of grass every week.I haven't mowed the grass in over a month and at the next meting I want to hear the members complain about it so I can at least get someone else to help.:banghead:

Sheldon
September 26, 2004, 04:15 AM
I had turned in the membership form for the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club (Southern Ca.) about 5 years ago and this past May I got a letter saying my chance had come up to join........$500 initiation plus $200 yearly dues, for a first year fee total of $700. They did not include anything explaining what the benifits of membership or anything like that. I go there once or twice a month (used to go weekly) nowadays and could not justify joining. I guess it's pay as you go for me.....about $8 a day.

The West End Gun Club in Fontana charges $120 a year plus a signup fee of an additional $100.

Burro Canyon Range charges $120 a year with no initiation fee.

BlkHawk73
September 26, 2004, 10:57 AM
I've often wondered if those that moan and complain about "work days" at thier respective club/range would be willing to give an extra $80 - $100/yr to pay others to do the required work. I kinda like the idea about having a plan where-by members would need to pay a fee rather than not donate some time.
I don't put in the time I used to at the range myself. Trying to finish some of my own home projects is time consuming enough. Spending time with my 3yo son keeps me from the range as it is for shooting (my choice) so it's lkel he'd also keep me from a work time there. Yaeh, maybe adding a bit to the membership as an "extra" would get more to help out at their club but some would rather toss the extra $. I guess, either way the club benifits. then again, it keeps those same folks doing all the work. After all, it's a membership so their should be mebers taking responsibility.

Mad Man
September 26, 2004, 05:08 PM
I've often wondered if those that moan and complain about "work days" at thier respective club/range would be willing to give an extra $80 - $100/yr to pay others to do the required work. I kinda like the idea about having a plan where-by members would need to pay a fee rather than not donate some time.

Yes, and I do.

I think it would be better if gun clubs offered discounts on membership fees for work done, rather than charge extra fees for not meeting one's work requirement.

The money and time are the same, but the psychology of it is completely different. All it would take is a simple change in marketing. But as I stated earlier, I believe much of the gun club culture is stuck about 40 years in the past, which is why more clubs don't take that approach.

The first approach wouldn't be such a turn off for so many people. This was my situation for many years, because I was completely unaware that I could forgo work days and pay a penalty charge. It was usually in the fine print of the membership application, which I never read because I stopped when I got to the part about "work bond" -- which was usually at the top.

I only joined a gun club 3 years ago when I found one that discounted membership dues for volunteer hours -- and I wasn't even aware of that at the time. I just liked that they didn't require work days. The discount was a bonus.

B27
September 26, 2004, 05:45 PM
$300 a year.
We hire a staff to maintain the club.
We also have a caretaker/rangemaster that lives in a house on club grounds right beside the clubhouse to watch over the place.
it is just too big and holds too many state and regional matches to rely on members showing up for work parties.

I consider it a bargain for the facilities I have unlimited use of 365 days a year from 9:00AM to dark.

I have even arranged my work schedule so I have Mondays off to go there and frequently have the whole place pretty much to myself. :D

www.southrivergunclub.com

keyhole
September 26, 2004, 11:17 PM
Ken W

I hear you on that. When we started, I spent a lot of money, and time on getting things up and running. Now, ( almost 8 years later ), it does pay me when I mow the grass.

Dues are 50.00 yearly, ( 65.00 first time ) must be NRA, as we maintain 100%, and insurance because we are affiliated. Open ranges, 200 yard rifle, 25 yard pistol, and skeet range under developement. Can shoot on all 3 at the same time, as they sit side by side, and have berms built up nicely.
Work days are another matter, but hate to have to charge members extra because they may not work. Have a lot of varied backgrounds, professional, to retired, and not always enough time to get out there to play, much less work. I know of some members who just go out there to enjoy the scenery, and watch the critters.( deer, turkey, etc.,.)

www.bonecreekgunclub.com

COK
September 27, 2004, 08:18 PM
$200 to join then , $175 per year – includes indoor and outdoor ranges, archery, club house and snack bar open for lunch and special events.

md2lgyk
September 29, 2004, 01:13 PM
Our club recently modified the work requirement policy to allow people to "buy out" of actually working. It's $25 per hour. There are also numerous exemptions available for disabled, elderly, retired military/LEO, etc.

Interestingly, our work requirement wasn't instituted because nobody was doing any work. We are a fairly small club (around 200 members) and our ranges are private. A few years back while I was still on the Board of Directors, we had several incidents of somebody shooting up the target markers and doing other damage. Since we're not open to the public, the obvious conclusion was that a member (or members) were doing it. Our reasoning for the work requirement was that if members had some "sweat equity" in the facilities they might take better care of them.

The other reason for the work requirement (as well as the meeting and match requirements) is that our membership is limited for insurance reasons and range size, and we always have a waiting list. We felt it was unfair for somebody to keep a membership without ever participating in anything while others were waiting, sometimes for 2 or 3 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Clubs and Dues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!