Fixing CCW in California - this is how (Calif gunnies, READ!)

PDA

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 03:31 PM
Attached find a 10 page briefing paper. Read it. It's in "Rich Text Format" which should work in any word processor, even Windows Wordpad.

Done?

Good.

Arnold's veto pattern proves he'll READ such a report.

As you can see, there's a few bits missing, on purpose.

I need committed volunteers from the following areas at a minimum:

Los Angeles (county unincorporated land or a small "sheriff's patrol contract" city)
Los Angeles City
Contra Costa County (anywhere)
Alameda County (anywhere)
Marin County (anywhere)
San Joaquin County (anywhere)
Sacramento County (need county land)
Sacramento City
San Diego County (anywhere)
Santa Clara County (county land)
San Jose City
San Francisco
San Mateo County (county land)
Sonoma County (county land)
Davis City
Walnut Creek City
Pittsburg City
Richmond City
Concord City
Antioch City
Santa Cruz County (county land)
San Bernardino County (anywhere)

---------

This is NOT a complete list of the counties and cities we're going to nail. Suggestions re: other targets welcome :). But we can't stretch ourselves too thin; even armed with a beefed-up Public Records Act, we'll be on a time crunch from hell.

Folks: remember I said Arnold *listens*?

THIS is how we give him something to listen to.

Something loud.

I'll cross-post a link here to Cal-Guns, the CA-F mailing list plus I'll have my own site's rebuild finished tonight with this all over it.

ALMOST FORGOT: need at least two (pref. more!) volunteers with Spanish as their first language, still fluent Spanish speakers, pref. Mexican origin folks. These guys are going to take the lists of permitholder names and work on "Latino name analysis" - we know the state is about 40% or so Hispanic, let's see if the permitholder rosters come anywhere close. Yes, it's a big job - there's 45k permitholders :). Volunteers will sign non-disclosure agreements for these lists and be known to the gunnie online community beforehand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixing CCW in California - this is how (Calif gunnies, READ!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
September 22, 2004, 03:54 PM
Another point: CRPA is working on a competing plan!

California Rifle and Pistol Association, Inc.
271 East Imperial Highway, Suite 620 Fullerton, California 92835
(714) 992-C2R7P7A2 .FAX (714) 992-2996

Media Release October 2, 2004

For Immediate Release: October 2, 2004

CRPA PUSHING FOR STATE AND LOCAL
CCW REFORM

In California and the eleven other states where the laws still
unreasonably infringe on the right of individuals to carry a handgun
for self defense, NRA has announced plans to proceed with
state "Right to Carry" legislation in the very near future. As NRA's
official state association in California, CRPA will be standing side
by side with NRA in Sacramento in this crucial fight to protect and
exercise the right of law abiding citizens to choose to own and
possess a gun for self defense.

The California Legislature has long been dominated by those who do
not believe in the right of lawful individuals to choose to possess
and use firearms. Only through a prolonged strong and well
coordinated effort by self defense civil rights advocacy groups and
their hundreds of thousands of California members can the goal of
enacting CCW "right to carry" legislation in California be achieved.

"The right to self defense does not end at the door of one's home,"
said Chuck Michel, CRPA spokesman. "Especially in these frightening
times, responsible people need to be able to choose to have a firearm
to defend themselves and their families."

As part of its efforts, CRPA will also be launching a pro-CCW local
ordinance campaign in many California cities, urging local officials
to introduce and pass pro-CCW laws in their home towns, and to
support statewide reform. Model ordinances have been prepared by CRPA
attorneys and will soon be distributed across the state.

CRPA is urging its members to take back their rights and our freedoms
from those in state government who have denied us our right to
protect ourselves and our families for so long. Members can help by
registering to vote, contacting their elected officials, and
contributing financially to the effort.

Join On-Line at http://www.crpa.org/memform.html

Jim again.

I've been asked if they're trying to "steal my thunder".

I think not. To me, this looks like somebody is trying to steal from the LCAV playbook: put in local gun-related ordinances in multiple local areas and then "roll that downhill" to Sacramento. That's how they pushed "junk guns", "assault rifles", this year's ammo registration attempt and AB50 (50BMG ban).

Their plan was developed in complete isolation from the CCRKBA/SAF plan, in development for a while by myself, Alan Gottlieb, etc.

My take: CRPA's thing probably won't work on it's own except in a few fairly rural areas, but with CCRKBA/SAF and myself out doing "proctological PRARs" all over the state, it's possible that some agencies will "roll over into shall issue" *instead* of having to face the level of scrutiny I can throw at them under the new supercharged nitrous-injected Public Records Act coming this Nov. 3rd (prop59).

Chuck Michel has probably guessed what I intend to do with Prop59, and may have been factoring in this "good cop, bad cop" effect.

If so, knowing where I plan to dig, he's welcome to approach those counties with his plan to avoid legal issues when I sue for triple attorney's fees and damages for violations of constitutional rights when sheriffs like Lou Blanas in Sacramento, Laurie Smith in Santa Clara and others get stubborn about CCW data release because they've got an entire crypt's worth of skeletons in the paperwork. I figure he'll be doing well if he succeeds with maybe 3 or 4 and yes, I'll gladly back off on the "PRAR WARS" in such cases.

:evil:

That issue aside, Chuck will get his best results (if any) in the Central Valley areas like Kern/Kings counties, Stanislaus maybe, some others. He might be able to tilt some that have Democrat legislators in Sacramento, which would be a big help. Odds are worst in the SF Bay Area and urban SoCal :(.

Sawdust
September 22, 2004, 04:22 PM
Jim, could you clarify exactly what you would want volunteers to do? Go to the local agency and dig-up the CCW records?

Sawdust

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 04:29 PM
Nope :).

Because that's connected with the redacted parts of the gameplan...which they'll get in EMail and which needs to stay out of enemy sight.

Trust me: it's a doozy :).

If you're known among gunnies and want to check it out ahead of time, and can promise to keep it quiet, cool.

Guaranteed: it ain't illegal.

Sawdust
September 22, 2004, 05:02 PM
Gotcha, Jim.

Thanks for all of your efforts to free us from our chains.

PM sent.

Sawdust

jnojr
September 22, 2004, 05:33 PM
Jim - I'm reading your redacted version now. But I don't need to get to the end to volunteer! :-) Go ahead and sign me up. Send me the whole enchilada at joliver@john-oliver.net

gunsmith
September 22, 2004, 05:46 PM
I've been camping in NV for most of the last month and a half,it's so great to be there and breathe free air. but I am willing to volunteer to help out (seriously considering moving),e-mail or PM me.
One thing though,I sent Arnie a letter telling him "he should join the Dems"
and other choice barbs when he signed that stinking AB50, I also said all my time & money will be going to the NRA not RNC from now on-will this preclude me from volunteering?
I know you and NRA disagree on some stuff but it doesn't matter to me,you allways treated me like a pal and will be glad to help in anyway possible

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 06:14 PM
GS and the rest: you have EMail. There's a really neat dirty trick we can pull...

El Rojo
September 22, 2004, 07:39 PM
Contact me if you need anything from Kern County.

sharpie613
September 22, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm in Alameda County, and I'd like to see what's going on...

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 08:27 PM
El Rojo: we won't need to mess with Kern. We'll get the permitholder roster off of DOJ and use that to do "Latino analysis". Nothing else in Kern is of much interest. There's minor issues but we're after bigger fish :).

Sharpie: drop me Email @ jmarch@prodigy.net

All: I just freed up some more PM Inbox space, but EMail is preferred :).

Thanks!

pittspilot
September 22, 2004, 09:57 PM
If I was still in Davis, I would help.

But I currently have a CCW in Arizona.

Good luck, guys, really!

magsnubby
September 22, 2004, 10:36 PM
Jim,
I'm in Fresno county. My health won't let me do alot but i'll do what i can to help.

Let me know what i can do to help out.

atek3
September 22, 2004, 11:09 PM
thanks a lot Jim.

atek3

fjolnirsson
September 22, 2004, 11:16 PM
Jim,
You have mail.

DGoodale
September 22, 2004, 11:17 PM
Jim, let me know what I can do on the Sacramento side. Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish, live w/in the city proper or unincorporated area anymore but anything I can do to put the screws to Blanas :evil: I'm right there.

Dave

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
We're not going to do Fresno either, except the standard last-name analysis and that's out of the DOJ's data versus a Fresno PRAR. Thanks anyways :).

DGoodale: can you please EMail me with your city and county? Atek3: please do the same if you're still in-state?

Thanks!

Das Pferd
September 22, 2004, 11:42 PM
Do you need volunteers from those counties because they live there? Or is this something you can do by traveling and helping in those counties?

Das Pferd
September 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
NM after I took a shower I didnt understand what I wrote.

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
Living there would be better. Let's just leave it at that.

Jim March
September 22, 2004, 11:49 PM
Some traffic from the CA-Firearms mailing list:

------------

donb.civil@verizon.net wrote:

>>
>>Seriously? Do you think there's a chance of rolling back
>>some laws?
>>
>>It would be cool...
>>
>> Don

I think legislatively-obtained CCW is possible next year. Long shot, but possible.

Here's how it stacks up:

1) Arnold will listen...and quite possibly support it.

2) Kerry is going to crash'n'burn this year. Let's assume for a second that happens, and that as with 2000, the Dem/GOP states align very closely with shall-issue states. We put out the word that in those 36 states with good carry laws (either shall-issue or "Vermont"), it's not possible to push gun-grabbing as an agenda. Due to how numerous those are, it's no longer possible for a hardcore grabber to take the White House. Which means the national Dem strategists are going to be even MORE vocal than they were last time that gun-grabbing is a stupid gameplan for the Dems.

3) Most of the worst sheriffs screwing up in CCW permits are NOT Democrats. They're Republicans. Yup. Blanas, Baca, Rupf, Plummer, Smith, many more. They're RINOs every one.

4) Now picture the Sacramento Dem contingent saying "we really hate doing this, but the level of screwups in CCW among the GOP sheriffs has forced our hands into a shall-issue direction".

5) This can't work without the help of the most powerful Dem in Sacramento, the head of the Senate, Don Perata. Which means we're hosed, right? Ehhh...maybe not :) .

5A) Perata hasn't sponsored a new gun bill of any consequence in some time. Mellowed? Maybe. Or maybe he knows we'd read out his "good cause" statement on his CCW app...the one that made Drudge:

http://www.equalccw.com/donperata.gif

5B) So he hates us and won't talk to us, right? Ehhhh...except, Perata sponsored two bills last year involving electronic voting reform that were pretty good. A member of the Board of Directors of a voting reform/education foundation, Black Box Voting (blackboxvoting.org) spoke in favor of those bills...and wrote a multi-page briefing paper on them in support for the Governor's office. That BoD member would be...well...me :) . Yup. I'm as deep-up-to-my-neck in electronic voting reform as I am guns :) . Which means I had near-daily contact with Perata's staff, something no other gunnie has. The Perata voting reform bills were pretty good...nothing bad in 'em, though we need to do some more next year, they're a start. For that matter, I've now got Bill Lockyer as a co-plaintiff against Diebold Election Systems and I'm probably going to have a bankroll up past a million bucks by the end of the year, see also: http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=16031

(Hint: Diebold is NOT going to want to do discovery - they'll settle first as they've already hinted to the LA Times the moment Lockyer joined the suit less than a month ago. I get about 6.5% of any settlement as a whistleblower plaintiff; settlement could run anywhere between $20mil and $90mil. You wanna talk "credibility at the capitol"? <GRRRRIN!>)

5C) What else do we tell Perata? And Arnold too for that matter? The same bill that reforms CCW also needs to seal the permitholder lists from public scrutiny, meaning celebrities such as them, Sean Penn and whatever won't need to fear being "outed as gunnies" under the Public Records Act. See, the California Supreme Court opened the records BECAUSE of the possibility for abuse. Eliminate the abuse, eliminate the need for public oversight. Anybody wrongfully denied can then sue just on that basis and win, if the shall-issue law is written well enough. So Perata could get his CCW back without fearing being labeled a hypocrit. Arnold will realize that this benefits celebs of all sorts, in and out of gov't. Jay Leno will love it...yes, he's a gunnie, he turned down CCW because it was public record...God only knows how many others.

Upshot: we don't want Perata to actually sponsor the bill...just quietly support it while joining in the scorn to be heaped on some nasty GOP sheriffs who we all know have it coming in spades!!! They also help turn around the Democratic party's national image on guns in time for 2008, which people at the national level will be screaming for after the debacle coming this November.

Yes, there's some "ifs" here but...not THAT many.

We're gonna win this one.

Jim March
September 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Das Pferd: they're not keeping track of denial data well AT ALL.

I agree there's a weakness in the racial correlations, but when it's THAT far off...

Fresno County, 1995: 2500ish permits out, 3% of which are Latino in a county that's 44% Latino by census data.

You almost never see data that's THAT far off.

Another way to analyze it is by population trends:

http://www.equalccw.com/ccwdata.html

The third "racism trace" found so far is in cases where sheriffs limit permit issuance in certain towns within their own county which have high minority populations. This is documented in Contra Costa, suspected elsewhere.

Rumpled
September 23, 2004, 03:04 AM
Jim,
If I read you right, you're looking for applicants from your hot list areas?
If not, what kinda time/effort are you looking for?
I'm in Sheriff contracted OC if I can help.

Jim March
September 23, 2004, 03:14 AM
You're reading it right.

You can't do much.

I'll shut up now :).

cpileri
September 23, 2004, 06:36 AM
Makes me almost wish i still lived in San Mateo.

Almost.

Good Luck, Jim!
C-

Mute
September 23, 2004, 02:58 PM
Los Angeles County. If you need my help, let me know. I'll be happy to screw Baca anytime.

CHEVYLIFE
September 23, 2004, 05:44 PM
I have been lurking for quite sometime now and would like to see if I could do anything to help you out. I appreciate all the hard work your doing.

I live in San Jose by the way...

CHEVYLIFE
September 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

Esky
September 24, 2004, 12:06 AM
Jim,

Great! I'm in San Diego County, which is on your list.

Let me know what I can do to help! (& check your email for my details.)

I'd feel a lot better walking around in Oceanside if I had a CCW and could legally carry. Not that it's really dangerous 'round here... but there's a lot of gang activity, & they don't seem to care much who they shoot.

Would sure be nice to be able to shoot back, if caught between the devils and the deep blue sea!

Esky

chunger
September 25, 2004, 12:51 AM
If I can be of any assistance in Alameda county, please let me know. I have time and energy to devote.

-'Chung

cvnhank
September 25, 2004, 11:54 AM
Jim,
I'm in L.A. County. Let me know what I can do. Hank

Jim March
October 4, 2004, 12:56 AM
So y'all know: we have enough volunteers.

:evil:

gunsmith
October 4, 2004, 08:36 PM
you got my last email with my snailmail addy.
I've got good news and bad.
The good is I'm leaving CA and moving to Nevada
the "bad" is I'm leaving CA and moving to Nevada and can't help out with
your new & improved counterstrike.

Whats Arnies problem with Ferrets?

to paraphrase S/Wolf
I'm sure gonna miss the beaches and climate
but they will only be a cheap 1/2hour flight away anyhow

Sven
October 4, 2004, 09:34 PM
Another gunnie leaves CA....

The_Antibubba
October 5, 2004, 12:20 AM
Jim,

Are you covered for the Capitol?

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixing CCW in California - this is how (Calif gunnies, READ!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!