What pistol is the most durable

PDA

forcefed
September 22, 2004, 06:21 PM
What pistol do you think is the most durable, either because of the finish or materials used? I can't stand rust nor babying my equipment.

Thanks, Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol is the most durable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZ Jeff
September 22, 2004, 07:22 PM
Well, you did not specify whether it's centerfire or rimfire, but I would give a good rimfire an edge here.

Specifically, I would rate a Ruger Mark I or Mark II, in any of their variants, as pretty close to having an infinite life, especially in stainless steel.

R.H. Lee
September 22, 2004, 07:29 PM
All steel CZ, but it's blue so it may rust. Stainless Milspec 1911? Get a Glock. :p

Jason Demond
September 22, 2004, 07:34 PM
How about a Glock 17. Chuck Taylor claims to have shot 186,000 rounds through a stock G17 without any replacement parts. Refer to Glock's 2004 Glock annual.

Ala Dan
September 22, 2004, 07:46 PM
I'd suggest a Glock, or better yet a Springfield XD.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

forcefed
September 22, 2004, 07:52 PM
I should add that my duty weapon is a Beretta 96G with the inox/stainless (not really sure) finish. It shoots fine but I do not like the upkeep. I was just wondering about other finishes and materials which require less involvement.

Thanks again.

AZ Jeff
September 22, 2004, 08:12 PM
I misunderstood your question when I responded with the rimfire comment. If you are looking for a durable finish, I think it's sort of a tossup between the Glock "tennifer", and stainless steel offered on other brands.

Here are the pros and cons--
Tennifer (and similar from S&W, Walther, etc.) pros: VERY rust resistant, very scratch resistant
Tennifer cons: finish is actually almost the natural color of steel (off-gray color) and requires an outer coating of oxide to be dark in appearance. This outer coating CAN be worn off through normal handling, holstering, etc.

Stainless steel pros: fairly rust resistant, but NOT as good as tennifer
SS cons: tends to show scratches easily, so duty "wear and tear" is more likey to be pronounced on any polished stainless.

In my opinion, the BEST overall durability comes from the tennifer, but even that is not perfect, and the oxide WILL wear away eventually. At least if the oxide wears off, what's underneath is pretty indestructable.

TroyR
September 22, 2004, 10:46 PM

Best Wishes,

I 2nd this..

TroyR
September 22, 2004, 10:49 PM

Best Wishes,

I 2nd this..

cratz2
September 22, 2004, 10:54 PM
Are you having rust issues with your Beretta? Or are you looking just for the most durable/lowest maintainence gun you can find?

Overall, hard chrome is likely your best bet. If the gun is something you handle daily (which I assume your duty weapon would be) and you clean it maybe once month, I'd think hard chrome would be pretty high on the list of finishes to consider and the good news is that you can have pretty much any gun hard chromed... Assuming you have a temporary replacement duty weapon.

Acccurate Weaponry and Plating is a good place to have your gun hard chromed.

As others have mentioned, the Glock Tenifer finish is pretty durable as well.

armoredman
September 22, 2004, 11:07 PM
CZ PO1 - alloy frame, polycoat finish, durable as all get out. http://www.cz-usa.com/press.releases.php?msgid=37

cratz2
September 23, 2004, 12:03 AM
I love my PCR and look forward to owning a P-01 in 40 or 45GAP, and I have zero complaints about current PCR and very few complaints about any of the CZs I've owned, I don't think I would recommend any of them for someone super anal about keeping their guns looking showroom new with minimal work. The barrel and slide rails on all my polycoat CZs have shown wear in pretty short order.

Now, a PCR or P-01 in hard chrome might be just the ticket. ;)

Longbow
September 23, 2004, 12:57 AM
Glock 17!

JohnKSa
September 23, 2004, 01:06 AM
For corrosion resistance and finish toughness, I don't think you can beat the Glocks. I think the P99/SW99 uses a similar finish which should put them in the same category although I would probably give the Glock an edge in raw durability from a mechanical standpoint.

The Ruger stainless/polymer autopistols are pretty corrosion proof and very durable. They really just get better the more you shoot them in my experience.

I have gotten a Ruger stainless revolver to rust :( but it wasn't serious and was easily dealt with. The Glock finish is more rust resistant than any stainless steel that I'm aware of--and definitely tougher.

As pointed out, the Glocks have a dark finish that goes over the base finish. The dark "overfinish" is either parkerizing in the older guns or a teflon based finish in the newer guns. That finish can and will wear off with heavy use, but the base finish is virtually indestructible and essentially corrosion proof.

ezypikns
September 23, 2004, 01:08 AM
any calber....you can't destroy one. Extremely accurate. You won't have to baby or break in one of these.

Hal
September 23, 2004, 06:31 AM
I do not like the upkeep
A real large part of my job involves travel.

I don't like changing oil and checking the tires on a regular basis all that much.

Some things you do simply cause your ass and the asses of your loved ones depend on it.

Maybe you should consider another line of work.

jc2
September 23, 2004, 08:26 AM
I can't stand rust nor babying my equipment.
I do not like the upkeep. I was just wondering about other finishes and materials which require less involvement.
He's not looking for the most durable (long lasting) pistol, he's looking for the pistol best suited for a lazy man. There's not a working Glock over twenty years old so it's durability is still in question, but it is definitely the answer for a lazy man! :)

clipse
September 23, 2004, 10:52 AM
My vote would be for a Glock 17. I've never owned one but I have heard great things about it. Second would be a CZ75B with Nickled finish. CZ is coming out with a Stainless version that I can't wait to have. :D

clipse

ruger357
September 23, 2004, 11:16 AM
Glock

GOT
September 23, 2004, 11:20 AM
CZ is coming out with a Stainless version that I can't wait to have.

Really? Awesome! Was wondering if CZ would ever make a pistol in stainless.

Clipse, do you know what model is going to be first in stainless?

Black Snowman
September 23, 2004, 11:36 AM
The rumor mill at CZForum.com says the standard CZ 75B is already available in stainless in Europe and it's just a matter of time until it makes it over here.

MrMurphy
September 23, 2004, 11:38 AM
Glock.

Clean it after shooting and a wipe with a silicone cloth and you're done.

Get one Roguarded or Duracoated and skip step 2 (superduper corrosion resistance).

Black Snowman
September 23, 2004, 11:39 AM
Double Tap.

Black Snowman
September 23, 2004, 11:39 AM
I, and many others, prefer Gun-Kote to Duracoat. It's more durable, less apt to flake. I coated my Glock with it when the old finsh started showing it's age.

RON in PA
September 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
Glocks and Ruger SS autos.

schromf
September 23, 2004, 12:30 PM
A 1911. Not one of the new tight toleranced, mim part wonders. But a original Colt ( there were a couple other manufacurers they are just rare and expensive) the old ones that had spring steel extractors, made to the original spec's. These guns worked, and worked, and worked. Built like Browning designed them.

When the Army started scrapping these in the late 70's some were WWI vintage, most were WWII vintage. They stood the test of time and three major wars and just kept on working. No handgun has yet to match that record. It could happen maybe, but it hasn't happened yet.

Yeah they need to be taken down and cleaned occasionally, and they didn't like prolonged exposure to saltwater. But they didn't break. They go bang every time you pull the trigger. And they last longer than most of us will. My oldest is a 1913, still working 100% with almost all original parts, something was right there.

Another oldy but goodie is a Browning HI Power, nothing bad on its track record either.

Hard chrome is reported to be "the" most durable finish currently available.

My comment after owning two stainless guns, if you don't care how your guns look its easy to take care off. If your picky like me, and don't like the black power residues, they are more work, and a lot of elbow grease and Flitz are required to keep them looking top notch, defiantely more effort when cleaning.

New guns: Glocks, HK's, CZ's and maybe Sig's.

Advice it you don't want to clean guns, get a different hobby, they all need some maintenance. Would you fly in a plane that wasn't being maintained? So why would you trust your life to a handgun in the same condition? It doesn't take long almost every model I listed on this page can be cleaned in less than 10 min.

forcefed
September 23, 2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks to all who responded.

Don't appreciate the comments about looking for a different job if I am to lazy to clean my weapon, but everyone is welcome to post.

I was merely interested in durable finishes and materials and I got what I was looking for.

Thanks again, Michael

forcefed
September 23, 2004, 06:24 PM
Computer was running slow and must have got too excited

forcefed
September 23, 2004, 06:26 PM
sorry

forcefed
September 23, 2004, 06:27 PM
about

forcefed
September 23, 2004, 06:32 PM
that

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol is the most durable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!