Anybody have an Arizona NON-Resident Concealed Weapon Permit???

PDA

BigBlueEyedDevil
September 22, 2004, 11:40 PM
I am considering getting one. Will it still be valid after I move into Arizona and am in the process of setting up residency? Should I just wait until I move there or would be not be a big deal to get the out of state one and then get the resident permit?? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody have an Arizona NON-Resident Concealed Weapon Permit???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Das Pferd
September 23, 2004, 12:12 AM
There is no distinction between resident and non resident permits in Az.

Edit: One more thing, you have to take the 16 (or is it 8) hours of training in Az. No way to get around that.

BigBlueEyedDevil
September 23, 2004, 12:19 AM
One more thing, you have to take the 16 (or is it 8) hours of training in Az. No way to get around that.

Yeah, I have already found the place to take the class in. I just wanted to get my out of state permit so as SOON as I move to Arizona from California, I want to be able to carry.

Das Pferd
September 23, 2004, 12:24 AM
Ya I know what you mean. I am moving back to my home state, Az, in a few months.

rayra
September 23, 2004, 05:30 AM
Anyone know if some enterprising individual has set up such a course in Bullhead City? Seems like a good idea, while taking a vacation in Laughlin.

pytron
September 23, 2004, 01:14 PM
I was thinking about getting a non-res permit until I figured out that the Utah permit was cheaper and easier to get (and allows you to carry in AZ). Look into the Utah permit, it might be what you are looking for.

-Pytron

rl2669
September 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
I used to have an AZ nonres CCW, didn't have to go there for training first time around because I am an NRA certified instructor. But even that doesn't help for renewals - for that everyone (including LEOs) has to attend a 4 hour training refresher, and said training MUST be held in AZ. So I let that one lapse after its initial expiration.

Now that AZ has reciprocity with so many states, I don't see the need for an AZ permit. Utah is a good way to go at this point now that they've eliminated the requirement for personal letters of reference from UT residents...or you can get FL even easier and just do that.

Check out packing.org for all the gories -

beemerb
September 23, 2004, 04:28 PM
If you move to AZ with a non resident CCW just be sure to let the state know your new address within ten days.( can do it on line)
Bob

cidirkona
September 23, 2004, 05:16 PM
In AZ, it's 16 hours, $50, and fingerprinting (usually $8). It lasts 4 years, then there's a 4 hour refresher class. Can't carry in class 06 business licences (buy, sell, resell, deliver alchohol).

-Colin

Dave T
September 25, 2004, 03:19 AM
Correction to earlier post.

You can carry in someplace that sells package goods (grocery store, liquor store, convience store) but you can't carry in a licensed premises that sells open container beverages (bar, saloon, restaurant, etc.)

As stated earlier, there is no destinction between a resident and non-resident permit. In training over 1000 people I had any number of non-residents take my class. They got the same permit as anyone else.

Oh, and as someone said, DPS wants to be notified of a change of address with-in 10 days.

Dave

Lennyjoe
September 25, 2004, 01:17 PM
Oh, and as someone said, DPS wants to be notified of a change of address with-in 10 days
Funny you should mention that. Took me 11 days to send it in and I havent heard anything since. Been about 60 days so I guess I wont get any response in return.

The Az CCW license doesnt have address on it anyway but my Florida one does. I also sent a change of address to them the same time with the same effect.

Dave T
September 26, 2004, 02:10 AM
An interesting side note to this "10 day notification" business. It is not written into the statute and it is not in the 16 hour lesson plan or the 4 hour renewal lesson plan, but it is a test question and a DPS "administrative" requirement.

Further proof that the government doesn't have to follow the law, they can make their own.

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody have an Arizona NON-Resident Concealed Weapon Permit???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!