I am so proud!

PDA

BluesBear
September 23, 2004, 03:44 AM
I received a phone call here at the nursing home today from my Adopted son (Lady45’s son) Shaun (aka P14Enfield).
He called me as soon as he got home from school to tell me what had happened today and what he had done. Let me tell you I have never been more proud!

There was an assembly for all Juniors and Seniors at his school, Edmonds-Woodway High.
It was to promote voter awareness among teenagers and to promote a new school approved political club called J.S.A. (Junior State of America).
It was attended by about 200 students and there were guest speakers representing the Republican, Democratic and Libertarian parties.

Due to the selective memory condition experienced by most 16 year olds, who was who is a little fuzzy.
It seems that the Republicans were represented by the Washington State Party Chairman.
The Libertarians were represented by the female candidate for Governor.
While the Democrats were represented by Some Guy In A Suit.

Following addresses by each speaker there was a question and answer segment. About a dozen students were chosen at random and allowed to ask any question they desired. After hearing questions about the Alternative to Social Security, Washington State School Testing procedures and several questions about the “War” in Iraq, the next to last student chosen was Shaun.

His question was, “Are you in favor of reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban like the one that just expired?”

Right away I am proud of him for asking this question.

The Republican answered first and stated that he was against any such ban since, in his opinion, “I don’t think it helped at all.”
The Democrat answered that he was in favor of such a ban.

Shaun then asked him why he was in favor and was told, “It will keep guns like those out of the hands of the wrong people.” :rolleyes:

Shaun then explained to everyone the definition of an assault rifle and that the ban had nothing to do with such weapons and then proceeded to recite, from memory, ALL of the cosmetic features that determined what made something a “semi-automatic assault weapon”. Did I mention I was proud?

After mentioning such details as detachable magazines, collapsible stocks and flash hiders (“They really don’t hide the flash. At least not from everyone else, they just suppress it from the shooters viewpoint.”), he asked what difference the presence or absence of those features had made in keeping anyone safer or in decreasing crime.

The Democrat then spent a minute hemming and hawing about how that nobody needed to, err, um, they should be kept out of, hmm, that it was about, uhhh, crime rates are down, and…
Well we just need it. :barf:

By this time I am damned proud!

For some strange reason one final student was chosen to ask a question before the Libertarian candidate could reply. :(

After the assembly was over Shaun’s history teacher said he did a good job and his “History of Rock & Roll” teacher (yes it’s a real class) told him that she agreed with him.

Have I said that I am mighty damned proud of that boy?
There just may be hope for the future of this country yet.

Then he says to me on the phone that he doesn’t understand why most newspapers, radio/TV stations and schools are so anti-second ammendment since it’s the first ammendment of the very same Constitution that enables them to stay in business. He said, “It’s like the Ten Commandments, you can’t pick and choose, you gotta take ‘em all or nothing.”

There’s a lot of hope for the future in my house.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am so proud!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Highpower1
September 23, 2004, 04:56 AM
Blues,

Thanks for posting that. It's apparent that the young lad has a good head on his shoulders. Good for him!

Highpower1
September 23, 2004, 04:56 AM
..computer problem

Highpower1
September 23, 2004, 04:57 AM
..dang sorry puter

Highpower1
September 23, 2004, 04:57 AM
okay think i finally got it all taken off.

stealthmode
September 23, 2004, 05:14 AM
great story:D

stealthmode
September 23, 2004, 05:15 AM

stealthmode
September 23, 2004, 05:17 AM

Highpower1
September 23, 2004, 07:45 AM
I see stealth has a sense of humor...hahaha! lol

Tharg
September 23, 2004, 07:53 AM
heh i'm proud of yer kid too...

but of course - have to play the devils advocate at this point...

of COURSE he said those things - i'm sure they were drilled in his head from birth and why would he think any different living in a evil terrorist's house? (causeof those big evil guns ya know...)

hehehehe

please please no one take offense... at least the kid was right - a anti's kid who spouted off the brady sites definition's would make an anti proud - even if it wasn't remotely factual =)

J/Tharg!

keano44
September 23, 2004, 10:29 AM
Somebody is raisin' that boy right! Good job. I am proud of him, and his parents.

Chipperman
September 23, 2004, 10:33 AM
That's Great!
Goog on ya' Shaun.
Hopefully you made some of your classmates stop and think about it as well.

twoblink
September 23, 2004, 10:38 AM
Remember, facts to a democrat is like cryptonite to superman.

You got yourself a fine boy there..

Leatherneck
September 23, 2004, 11:18 AM
Hey, B/B: about time you had something to cheer about, Mate!

Shaun did good. Is he a member of THR, or just a lurker?

“History of Rock & Roll” Sounds like a great course; they start with the Thompson, right? :D

TC
TFL Survivor

Leatherneck
September 23, 2004, 11:27 AM
Man, these double-taps are outta control!

TC
TFL Survivor

mack69
September 23, 2004, 11:57 AM
Blues, good on ya bud and on your very level headed and knowledgable young man. If only every teen were as well versed in these things we wouldn't have to worry about the anti gun sentiment. Congrats again to you and Lady, and most of all....welcome back to the board....we've missed you. ....peace and health to you.....mack

garrettwc
September 23, 2004, 02:10 PM
Excellent!

Blues, you got yourself a good one there. Give him a big pat on the back from me.

Hemicuda
September 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
I'd like to buy that kid a cold one... (Coca Cola, of course) for his afternoons work...

Heck, iffin he's home and gonna stay there, I'd buy him a beer anyway (with his parents approval, of course!)

Ktulu
September 23, 2004, 02:23 PM
NICE!

BluesBear
September 23, 2004, 03:16 PM
Tharg,
You have to stop and realize that this way of thinking was not "drilled in his head from birth and why would he think any different".
3½ years ago I didn't even know this boy. It was only less than 2 years ago that he came to me and said he was sorta interested in guns and asked me if I would help him learn more about them.

His opinions are his own. His mother (Lady45) and I offer him guidance but we don't tell him that he has to think the same ways we do. In fact it is only through his interest in shooting that his mother, in the past year, has transformed from being afraid of guns to drooling over the glass in the local shops even more than I do. She now pesters me about when are we going to the range again. She can even identify many of the common guns in movies now and can notice many of the "goofs" in them.

He told me he almost asked a question about health care. During my recovery he has seen first hand how terrible the health care system in this state is. He said he decided to go ahead with the gun issue because, a) he knew a lot more about the gun subject than the health subject and b) there are lots of other people out there arguing about health care reform, that people his own age needed to learn not to afraid of guns and gun owners.

I wish I could take full credit for his raising but I can't. That's his Mother's doing. He just comes from good stock. She has instilled a sense of value and taught him right from wrong. He is smart enough to study the facts and draw his own conclusions. Now if we could just get him to put in a new trash bag after he takes the garbage out after being told umpteen times.

Hey I said i was proud of him, I hever said he was perfect. :neener:

aguyindallas
September 23, 2004, 06:39 PM
The thing that makes me smile is this...

Most kids that age don't pay too much attention to things that political types say unless it has a special place to them.

They will however listen to what their peers have to say in almost any discussion. My thinking is that they don't care what the politician said but if they do listen to your son, he has made a positive impression on them.

Anyway you look at it...awesome work and priceless to say the least!

aguyindallas
September 23, 2004, 06:47 PM

Most kids that age don't pay too much attention to things that political types say unless it has a special place to them.

They will however listen to what their peers have to say in almost any discussion. My thinking is that they don't care what the politician said but if they do listen to your son, he has made a positive impression on them.

aguyindallas
September 23, 2004, 06:47 PM

Standing Wolf
September 23, 2004, 07:15 PM
Good for your lad!

Chut1st
September 23, 2004, 07:58 PM
Great story, BluesBear!

You have a right to be proud of your son. Sounds like you've taught him something that the schools fail to teach today . . . . how to actually think.

GunnySkox
September 23, 2004, 09:52 PM
Mr. Bear,

I wish I had the cojones your boy's got, I'd be stammering harder than the dimmo candidate (I'm nae s'good at linking syllables into words when I'm under pressure, y'see)

~Slam_Fire

CAS700850
September 24, 2004, 05:39 PM
Sounds like quite a boy. No fear of publically debating an issue, esp. one which may be not so cool to his friends.

You are right, sir, there is hope for the future...

P14Enfield
September 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
That boy may not have a fear of "publically debating an issue" but he does have a fear about posting in response to this topic

http://forums.liquidinsanity.com/html/emoticons/blush.gif

4v50 Gary
September 25, 2004, 08:49 PM
Please tell Shaun that we're proud of him.:cool:

hjaeger
September 25, 2004, 08:58 PM
JSA is a pretty interesting organization; The eastern chapter met in Arlington last year, with roughly 800 students. It is a mock Congress of sorts. The prevailing atmosphere was certaintly not libertarian in nature, but on the whole it was a decent experience. I do remember some bill sponsored to extend the AWB and reduce mag capacity restrictions to 8 rounds. As far as I know, it did not "pass"...

krusty311
September 25, 2004, 09:03 PM
Congratulations

krusty

Dorian
September 26, 2004, 01:45 AM
Hot DAMN!

Go Shaun!

Hey do you guys mind if I use this quote as my sig line:

"Then he says to me on the phone that he doesn’t understand why most newspapers, radio/TV stations and schools are so anti-second ammendment since it’s the first ammendment of the very same Constitution that enables them to stay in business. He said, “It’s like the Ten Commandments, you can’t pick and choose, you gotta take ‘em all or nothing.”"

-BluesBear talking about his step-son, P14Enfield

joe sixpack
September 26, 2004, 01:51 AM
Great story and a fine boy, here's to the future.

cheers, js

BluesBear
September 26, 2004, 07:51 AM
LOL Dorian,

Feel free to use it.

It will be an honor to both of us.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am so proud!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!