Hope for Massachusetts???

PDA

FPrice
September 23, 2004, 10:00 PM
My wife and I went to an open house for our 3rd grade son tonight. As the teacher droned on (she wasn't that bad, I was just tired) I picked up a new textbook, "Massachusetts, My Home". Started flipping through it and got to the history section. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the section on the begining of the Revolutionary War was fairly accurate. Talked about the British marching to confiscate the guns colonists had stored for defense. Two pictures, one of a Minuteman behind a team of plowhorses with a musket slung over his back, another of colonists in a home arming themselves. A little bit on the pro-gun side of neutral so far.

A few pages later I came across an explanation of the Constitution. I turned to the Bill of Rights to see how thery mangled it and got a bit of a surprise.

"The Second Amendment

Right to Bear Arms You can own a gun for legal purposes."

Okay, this may not be quite a THR-level statement of the intent of the Second but it's quite an admission on the third grade level. Admitting that the 2A is about personal gun ownership.

Maybe there is hope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hope for Massachusetts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forquidder
September 23, 2004, 10:55 PM
Not a chance with Kennedy and Kerry in office. :mad:

rl2669
September 24, 2004, 04:04 PM
I always thought it was hilarious that MA chose to put "a man with a gun" on their state quarter, given that ordinary men there can't own them! Maybe just like NH (the subject of their state quarter "fall down go boom"), MA should redesign for something a bit more contemporary.

There's a near-urban legend that goes around once in a while that
MA once had to cancel the April 19 Lexington & Concord re-enactments because not all the participants could get LTCs and trigger locks for their muskets?

Leaving Taxachusetts after 22 yrs was the best thing I ever did in my life. Actually to put it more accurately, choosing to live in"fly over" land was the best thing I ever did since I did a stint in PRK too, hated most minutes of that too!

There's a good book all about this subject: www.life2where.com
He doesn't go into gun laws all that much, but he makes it pretty clear that many well heeled, well educated American born people are abandoning the bi-coastal hell holes of this country in droves...

No wonder the liberals are so scared of the electoral college !

Rob

Aaron C
September 25, 2004, 10:58 AM
I used to live in MA. That thing about the re-enactment is party true. I do remember hearing about how a lot of people got crap from cops and stuff and from locals about trigger locks and all that, but I dont think it actually resulted in it being canceled. I do remember reading about it in the Globe.

aut2no
September 25, 2004, 05:08 PM
I picked up a new textbook, "Massachusetts, My Home".

FPrice,

I have kids in 3rd & 4th.. I'll have to check and see if we have this book.

I'm an optimist and think there is some hope for Mass (albeit, small glimmer of hope ) Of course, I'm in a semi-rural area where gun ownership is fairly common.

This past week alone, I've had conversation with 2 anti/fencesitters.I seemed to have turned 1 and the other has been given pause to reflect.
The first was a new employee I hired - conservative, Republican middle aged woman, yet expressed diappointment on AWB sunset.

I won't repeat the whole conversation here at THR, yet basically brought her around since she had been brainwashed to believe the ban was about full auto & the statistical crime lies. Since she already understood media bias on other issues, her turnaround was easy.

Another person was a new neighbor - a single mom, who, in looking for someone to watch her young son after school , asked that new politically correct question "Do you have firearms in your home?"

I was the 2nd neighbor she asked. The first neighbor asked has the size arsenal - well let me put it this way - it's where I would go to hunker down in a SHTF scenario. Not her perfect choice for baby sitting.

I had to simplistically explain to her that most of us on this road have guns,
that I, for one, lock all mine up when not in use and guns don't "go off" by themselves anyway. I gave her the basics of Eddie Eagle for her son to know for where ever he may go in someone's home.

Her little boy has played over here all week and they even watched us shoot baloon targets with our air rifles out behind the barn. Who knows, maybe she'll go out to the range soon?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hope for Massachusetts???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!