How much do you know about guns?

PDA

FNFiveSeven
September 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
So, I'm sitting here, writing my Ph.D. thesis, and I think to myself, I wonder if I know more about guns than chemistry? I mean, seriously, I could probably write just as much on either topic. So what about you guys? How many of you feel like you know as much or more about guns than you do about your job/profession?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much do you know about guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hemicuda
September 24, 2004, 01:09 PM
Beihg that I just made a career change (usedta be a draftsman, now I'm a truck driver),

and being that I build my own custom Mausers (NOT BUBBAIZED!) and I mean FULLY CUSTOM re-barrelled, hand-cut stocks and more type Mausers...

Yep... I know more about firearms than I do about my job... at least about SOME firearms!

Edmond
September 24, 2004, 03:44 PM
Don't really know much about guns. I just know how to make em' go bang and to take care of em'. You ask me about guns I don't own and I couldn't tell you much.

But I'm always open to knowing more and I'm looking into reloading in a couple of months.

Archie
September 24, 2004, 04:38 PM
since 1969. When I joined the Marine Corps, they made me a rifleman.

Been carrying guns ever since, various federal lawman jobs.

However, firearms are my burning passion. The history and developement of the modern firearm; the various designs, internal ballistics, external ballistics, finishes and materials and all sorts of things.

What guns were used in what wars, why machine guns weren't invented until they were, ignition systems.... all sorts of things.

Trivia like Frank Hamer carried a Remington Model 8 in .25-35. Why General Patton didn't like 45 Autos.....

I've done some study. And I still don't know much.

shermacman
September 24, 2004, 05:06 PM
The more I learn about guns the more I realize how little I know...!

oldfella
September 24, 2004, 05:11 PM
I am not sure I know how to answer that question - you see, I have not had a job in 25 years (retired). Like Edmond said, I know mostly how to clean and lube the ones I have, and how to make them go Bang... too timid to take them fully appart... so I said "about the same".

GOT
September 24, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm learning about guns as fast as I can find info, read it and get guns and use them. Unfortunately I have to spend more time trying to keep my family fed, housed and clothed.

Ironbarr
September 24, 2004, 05:33 PM
Me? Well, Pardner, let me expound upon this subject with great flair.

Retired (supposedly). Some of my work includes: titivate and field day (compartment cleaner); fixing our kids' and their kids' computers; stores working parties (of 1); chauffeur; gofer; painter, wood worker, yards & docks maintenance (grass/plants). General all-around grandpa duties, ya know.

Guns? 90% of what I know about guns I've learned at TFL and THR and handling, shooting, and servicing the several I've bought since finding these two rare jewels of gunedjucashun.

Oh yes - forgot - start-up shooting trainer for a 12-yr-old... Grandpa mode again.

So as far as the job/guns knowledge is concerned I voted "About the same" mainly since I just don't know too much about anything these days. :)

I just read a paper article about an "elderly man" dying here in a mobile home fire. He was 72. That's "ELDERLY"? Never thought of myself as "elderly" - the word sounds like you're on your last legs, doesn't it?

Guess I'll be "elderly" the end of November. Darn!

-Andy

joab
September 24, 2004, 05:39 PM
I've been doing my job for 23 years and have been studying it for 25. I'm a state certified expert in 2 states. I used to give lectures on different tools and methods of the industry

With guns I pretty much know which end is the ouchy end

Hkmp5sd
September 24, 2004, 05:45 PM
I know far more about my profession than I do about firearms.

P95Carry
September 24, 2004, 05:49 PM
Andy - I'll accept ''elderly'' over ''old'' ... any day!!:p But I prefer ''mature''!:)

I probably know more about guns than work ... but that needs qualified really. Most gun knowledge is aquired over man years of loading and shooting but - still I find huge gaps in knowledge .. so answer there really is - one never stops learning.

Many of the brains here, way superior to mine on guns .. have helped fill many gaps but - for every gap filled ...... another two seem to emerge.

If I use the word ''experience'' then maybe I have approx equal experience with work and guns ... enough to useful but far from definitive!:)

Kharn
September 24, 2004, 07:10 PM
I just started my job 3 months ago, I've been into guns for over 4 years. :D

Kharn

Bridger
September 24, 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm a student, so lets just say I wish these papers coming up were about firearms in some way :(

ZeroX
September 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
I'm a student, so lets just say I wish these papers coming up were about firearms in some way

I hear that.

Old Dog
September 24, 2004, 09:00 PM
Right now I definitely know more about guns than I know about my current job ... but, like one guy said, the more I learn about guns, the more I realize how little I know. But I do know one thing: I've been fortunate that I've had many jobs over the past quarter-century where guns were a big part of my job! Fulfilling part of life in the military (for a gun enthusiast, anyway).

JohnBT
September 26, 2004, 12:27 AM
Well. let's see. I got an M.S. in 1974 and went to work, so that's about 32 years of professional knowledge if you count the M.S.

I've been interested in guns since the mid-50s.

Toss-up I guess, seeing that I usually spend more time at work than at the range.

John

Mulliga
September 26, 2004, 01:35 AM
Like others have said: Enough to know that I don't know enough. :D

jamz
September 26, 2004, 08:40 AM
I know my job pretty well, I like to think.

With guns, I know, like Homer Simpson, "this is the end that you point at whatever you want to die". :p Actually, I know a bit more than that. But I've never detail stripped a 1911. Is that a benchmark of some kind?

-James

Tamara
September 26, 2004, 10:52 AM
D.

My boss asked me once what I do when I'm not at the gun shop. He was a little surprised to find that when I'm not talking about guns at work, I'm talking about guns at home. :o

Skunkabilly
September 26, 2004, 11:20 AM
I know jack and squat about either...

..and Jack just left town :o

hso
September 26, 2004, 11:56 AM
If I know less about my profession than my hobby then I better be looking for another profession.

Kamicosmos
September 26, 2004, 01:29 PM
I work in computers. So, considering the vast amount of information I could (or should, according to my boss, heh) know about computers, and comparing that to the amount of knowledge one could know about guns....I voted About the same.

Alot just kinda depends. I can talk all day about AR15s or .44 Mags, or Linux vs MS or what video card is better for a given situation or which tape media is better for a given storage environment.

But, when it comes to say....Macintoshes and Black Powder? I know diddly on either topic. Which is sad cause I need to learn Mac stuff PDQ.

Eskimo Jim
September 26, 2004, 01:56 PM
I probably know more about my job than firearms. Firearms is a very more vast industry to learn about.

-Jim

Archie-
Why did Patton not like the 1911?

BryanP
September 26, 2004, 02:22 PM
Kamicosmos,

Sounds like you and I are at the same point. I'm moderately knowledgeable about firearms, but not an expert. I make my living running networks. I need to be learning more about various Linux environments, not guns. :uhoh:

Black Snowman
September 26, 2004, 02:48 PM
Good question. I'm in the IT field as well but my career has been a steady string of demotions for the last 4 years with a short stop in OTR trucking so I voted that I know MORE about guns because my experiance and involvement with them has been steadily growing where as my IT experiance is becoming more and more dated.

The truth is I know a lot about a lot of things but I'm not really a true expert in much of anything. I reach a saturation point where I feel I've learned the bulk of the imporant information and then move on to a new field.

I've started doing some of my own gunsmithing, I've been reloading for quite a while, I've always had a fascination with military arms, etc . . . But I can also build a PC based computer from scratch, to a mild porting job on a set of heads for a car or motorcycle, build simple wooden furnature, basic airbrushing, I have a Class A CDL and a motorcycle liscence, I can take off and land a plane even though I don't have a liscence (visual condtions only), I understand the principles of suspension geometry in both on and off road applications, I do all my own vehicle repair, etc . . . But none of it am I good enough at to make a decent wage, except for computers. So that's where I'm at.

Of all the things listed above the gunsmithing has been the most enjoyable. Must be why it doesn't pay crap ;)

Seventhsword
September 26, 2004, 02:57 PM
I know I like em!:D

ArMa
September 26, 2004, 03:33 PM
I am one of the currently 10.73% that said guns are thier jobs, I sell guns at a gun store for a living, the boss sometimes buys us movie tickets for movies that contain alot of firearms so when those customers come in wanting the "sweet pistol thing" that Tom Cruise's character "Vincent" has in the movie Collateral we're supposed to go "oh yea the H&K USP right over here".

Zach S
September 26, 2004, 04:16 PM
I know more about guns than my job. I often write programs for the DNC and CNC machinery at work using a calulator, pencil, and paper, because the programs wrote with CAD software dont work...

I know it sounds impressive, but programming is easy.

WhiteKnight
September 26, 2004, 04:46 PM
customers come in wanting the "sweet pistol thing" that Tom Cruise's character "Vincent" has in the movie Collateral we're supposed to go "oh yea the H&K USP right over here"

Didn't he also have a "sweet" ultra-long barreled Ruger Mark II?

ArMa
September 26, 2004, 05:25 PM
yea I believe that was actually a Mark II with an Advanced Armament Phoenix (http://www.advanced-armament.com/products/rimfire/phoenixp.asp) silencer, he also used a Ruger P-89/94/95/97 towards the end of the movie.

JPL
September 26, 2004, 09:16 PM
I know very little about guns.

Luckily I work with Mike Irwin, and he can usually set me straight on most things.

I don't think he knows much about anything else.

cratz2
September 26, 2004, 10:38 PM
I know exactly thirteen percent about guns.

Not as much as I'd like but more than many others I've met.

Majic
September 26, 2004, 10:49 PM
As my profession entailed working on machinery (I'm a retired millwright) the firearm becomes nothing more than another machine in design so I rate them the same.

entropy
September 27, 2004, 07:09 PM
Well, I know how to make 'em go BANG when they weren't able to before I worked on 'em. But it's only a part-time gig.:( And like you, Tamara, I too come home from fixing and occasionally selling them, and talk about them on THR and the russian Mosin Nagant Forum; (Or Parallax Bill's Forum, or the CETME forum, KTRange, gunboards, etc.) Or I talk guns with my boss at my other job..:)

horge
September 27, 2004, 07:27 PM
The bullet comes out the barrel muzzle thingy-hole, right?
:(

TK73
September 28, 2004, 09:29 AM
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am employed at a firearms wholesale company for quite a few years now.
I have always liked guns and when I was accepted as a new co-worker I was an unbelievable happy fella. Firearms and relating items are a daily thing for me. Unfortunately, when you have them around at your job (and at home!) they naturally loose a bit of attraction. Nowadays, it's getting difficult to impress me with anything "new". Make no mistake, firearms are a passion of mine. I love them and I can hardly think of purchasing and selling anything else. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know that each and every day we ship out quite a few firearms onto the market. Anti-gunners might rationalize the "viciousness" of firearms every waking hour, but I still know that the continuous flow of firearms hasn't stopped yet. Each day, the quantity of guns in civilian hands is getting larger and larger :D :what: :neener:

Back to the original question: Although I am exposed to a "daily learning process" I am an absolute lightweight when it comes to in-deep knowledge of firearms. There are guys on this forum which are absolutely amazing when it comes to thorough knowledge in arms. I always try to keep an open mind, though, in order to learn as much as possible.

Thank you for allowing me to share my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much do you know about guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!