What can we do about this?

PDA

71Commander
September 24, 2004, 06:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3716&item=5126019056&rd=1

If you enjoyed reading about "What can we do about this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Benjamin
September 24, 2004, 06:23 PM
Let it be.

There are nutters in every crowd. It happens.

Malice
September 24, 2004, 07:28 PM
What do you mean, what can we do about it?

You mean, what can we do about our un-sustainable lifestyle based on fossil fuels?

Start by driving less, with the windows open in the summertime and a nice coat on in the summertime.

Turn off everything when you are not using it.

Come on people... did your "liberal alert" go off before you even read what that thing said?

America's lifestyle IS unsustainable. The world is only so big and there are only so many deposits of oil and coal. At the rate we are using them, and the rate of our popluation growth, along with the economic development of hightly populated Asian countries, they will be gone before we know it.

Deavis
September 24, 2004, 07:39 PM
America's lifestyle IS unsustainable. The world is only so big and there are only so many deposits of oil and coal. At the rate we are using them, and the rate of our popluation growth, along with the economic development of hightly populated Asian countries, they will be gone before we know it.

No offense Malice, but prove it. Go on and prove to me that we are going to run out using all the facts and consumption data you have. In the end, your prediction will not come true.

People have been saying that we will run out of energy for many years. Trust me chief, there is more energy under this earth than you can imagine, we just haven't had the economic need to drive its extraction. I'm sure that most liberals who opposes "fossil", which may not actually be from fossils, also opposes nuclear power.

Developing countries will not develop based on our past model of economic infrastructure. Case and point, phone service in rural China. Do you see anyone burying huge lines of cable? Nope, they all have cell phones because towers are a better alternative. The plants they build, if properly guided, will be the better than the average American plant that is 15-25 years old.

Don't forget that we are fairly ingenous people and have a vested interest in making sure our air conditioners keep running! Until people atually start living without, I'll keep mine, thanks.

jefnvk
September 24, 2004, 07:53 PM
Buy it and tell us all what it says :D

Other than that, it is from Britain, listed as a computer and a skateboard, asnd despite what the owner says, is probably about as true as CBS's military records.

2nd Amendment
September 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
Hmmm...may have to be high bidder and then play deadbeat. I'm pretty sure an old account is still active.

Opens all the windows, turns on the air conditioning, lights the wood stove, goes out to the Escalade, jump starts the Huimmer and off the wife and I go, one to each...with the AC on...to search out the lowest gas prices around.

geekWithA.45
September 25, 2004, 06:25 AM
America is actually playing a deep game with respect to nonrenewable sources of energy.

It all snapped into focus one day when CNN interviewed the secretary of energy...forget who it was..., and he said something very close to

"The energy policy of the United States is to use nonrenewable sources of energy, beginning with foriegn sources".

What he didn't say was the point that this has the effect of holding domestic sources in reserve for when such supplies are exhausted or no longer economically feasible, which buys us runtime to develop alternative sources, such as hydrogen, and/or whatnot. (Note GM's billion dollar investment in hydrogen based vehicles, scheduled for widespread release starting in ...uh...2008 I think) which pretty much leaves us on top of the heap energywise.

The reality is that we're in the best position, and have the best chances of success for developing alternatives, which serves not only our own interests, but that of the world at large as well.

As for this fellow's assertion that oil benefits only the elite, he fails to apprehend that without oil, pretty much everything grinds to a halt, and as a result, people starve and die, including him.

oil = energy.
energy = life.
energy = power.

Yes, people are going to continue killing each other over oil.

The rest is mostly "why can't we all just get along?" blissninnyisms.

migoi
September 26, 2004, 12:43 AM
we should all go read the amendment just above the one we spend so much time discussing on here....

migoi

cracked butt
September 26, 2004, 01:06 AM
Looking at the auction, methinks I could get on the gravytrain and defraud some gullible liberals from their money too.

Marxists don't believe in property or gaining financially from spreading their ideas, but I do. :evil:

PMDW
September 26, 2004, 01:09 AM
"Invalid item".

What was it?

71Commander
September 26, 2004, 07:32 AM
"Invalid item".

SUCCESS

Car Knocker
September 26, 2004, 05:49 PM
Start by driving less, with the windows open in the summertime

I concur with the driving less, but it should be noted that at speeds above 20 MPH using the A/C is more fuel efficient that driving with the windows open.

If you enjoyed reading about "What can we do about this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!