Badges

PDA

Karate
September 24, 2004, 09:07 PM
What is the general concensus on CCW Badges...I see them for sale quite often...are they a good thing...I would like to hear from some of you who are in law enforcement...I have never really seen the need for one myself...But if they are useful I may consider one

If you enjoyed reading about "Badges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spot77
September 24, 2004, 09:21 PM
Just for kicks I'm gonna' say it first:

CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED!!!:D

Karate
September 24, 2004, 09:25 PM
Amen...and again let me say Amen...then why do they make those badges

jsalcedo
September 24, 2004, 09:28 PM
CCW badges are for wannabe types.

They serve no purpose other than to make you look like a
doofus or a target.

XLMiguel
September 24, 2004, 09:31 PM
Bluntly, they make them for posseurs and hosers and immature dweebs. They have no legal standing or recognition AFAIK, and have good potential to get someone dumb enough to flash one arrested for impersonating an officer. Don't waste your money. Any questions?

JMNSHO.:rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
September 24, 2004, 09:37 PM
Well, okay. Fine. How about a concealed firearms tattoo, then?

Karate
September 24, 2004, 09:46 PM
I felt the way you guys feel but I thougth that I was missing something

gunsmith
September 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
:neener:

Moparmike
September 24, 2004, 11:54 PM
Well, okay. Fine. How about a concealed firearms tattoo, then?On one's forehead.

I might buy one just to point to it and laugh, or to take some of those pics we all see here. We need a Mall Ninja badge...

Edmond
September 24, 2004, 11:59 PM

Would the tattoo be concealed too?:D

DMF
September 25, 2004, 12:16 AM
What's more likely to draw attention to your firearm:

1- Subdued finish on a gun, in a nice dark holster, or

2- That same rig with a highly polished piece of metal clipped right next to it.

The answer seems obvious to me.

I will wear my badge on a neckchain if I'm processing a crime scene and my gun might be exposed, ie take my jacket off for the dirty work. Seems like a some cops love to have the badge on the belt, I'm not a big fan of it for the reason I mentioned.

So that's the practical reason for not having one of those badges. The other reason is you would look like a wanna be. Here's my theory on wanna bes, whether it's cop wanna bes or something else: do what it takes to actual become whatever it is you're imitating rather than living in a delusional fantasy world.

OK, I think I'm going to have some nachos now.

Edmond
September 25, 2004, 12:36 AM
OK, I think I'm going to have some nachos now.

You know that if you post something like that, you have to invite everyone over and have enough nachos for everyone?:D I love nachos.:D

Greg L
September 25, 2004, 08:01 AM
The only people that I've seen with CCW/Mall Ninja badges are people who I would feel uncomfortable having them armed around me :uhoh: .

Greg

Mixlesplick
September 25, 2004, 08:19 AM
We don't need no stinkin' badges!:neener:

Sorry, someone had to say it. No way I would want something that is going to draw attention to me or my firearm like that.

BeLikeTrey
September 25, 2004, 08:35 AM
just in case it is exposed in Wally World while you are getting your wallet or something it would keep the soccer moms happy and keep unwanted calls to the cops...

It makes sense to a degree and I'm not knocking it, but people see what they wanna see. trust me, I have exposed my piece by accident and still had no one notice except the cashier (at wally world) and she saw my face (kinda sheepish uh-oh) and just smiled. No one else was the wiser. Carry a muted color gun and keep as much as possible hidden. Most are blissfully ignorant and unaware of it. You are always more paranoid of it showing. I've even walked into places with a full size 45 (springfield 1911) with just an untucked shirt (printing like hell) and bought ammo. no one knew then either. realistically, save your cash;)

WT
September 25, 2004, 09:29 AM
CCW badges are used by those who want to impersonate a police office.

sendec
September 25, 2004, 09:39 AM
The dropout at McDonald's who screws up your order wears a badge, peace officers wear shields, even if they are star-shaped.

JPL
September 25, 2004, 10:03 AM
What's the point of these badges?

If you're carrying concealed and someone tries to start something with you you whip it out and say "Concealed Weapon Carrier! Hit the dirt!"?

I'm thinking that the best than can come out of of it is you look like a freak.

The worst?

Maybe Joe Donut takes umbrage that you have one of his toys and arrests you for impersonating a cop?

Easy way to avoid that scenario, though, by staying out of donut shops.

The only TRUE advantage I can see is for the people who make or sell them -- they get money.

CannibalCrowley
September 25, 2004, 10:09 AM
A CCW badge pretty much defeats the purpose of CCW.

Sendec, LEOs wear a badge and that's your problem if you don't like the terminology. We can play dictionary if you're still confused.

George S.
September 25, 2004, 11:26 AM
Badges?? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
:neener:

Beat me to it!! :D Great line, great movie!

What would the reason be to have such a badge? I don't want anyone to know that I carry concealed (isn't that the point anyway??).

pinblaster
September 25, 2004, 04:21 PM
CCW badge ? I can't believe there a enough people out there , that are stupid enougfh to pay money for a ccw badge , for the people who are selling them to make enougfh money to pay for thier ad in the back of a magazine . If I want a badge , I'll go to the toy department at Wally World and get one , that way I get the plastic handcuffs too ! BTW I have tinfoil hats for sale . They are only $50.00 each and are guaranteed to protect you from outer space aliens , black helicopters , the evil eye , and even the evil leprecuan that is hiding in your sock drawer . :D

Chuck Dye
September 25, 2004, 04:28 PM

This is my rifle,
this is my gun...

It depends on where the tatoo is!

sendec
September 25, 2004, 06:29 PM
Mr. Crowley,

Ouch, looks like I hit a nerve.

No thanks, I do not want it supersized. If I did I'da asked for it.

4v50 Gary
September 25, 2004, 06:59 PM
I guess you figured out by now that it's a waste of money better spent on ammunition for practice.

Zundfolge
September 25, 2004, 07:45 PM
Here in Colorado Impersonating a Police Officer has been elevated to a rather nasty felony (apparently some guy here in CO was raping or murdering women while disguised as a cop, so they increased the penalty in response).

CCW badges are just a little close to that "Impersonating a Police Officer" line for me to be comfortable.

If some soccermom at Walmart sees my piece then absolute worst case, I have to waste a few minutes talking to a CSPD officer and then I'm on my way ... rather risk that then being charged with a felony.

OldStar
September 25, 2004, 07:48 PM
The only people impressed by badges are the (non-law enforcement) people who carry them.

A couple of deputy sheriff friends of mine told me of an experience that they had once, while working in plainclothes, when they approached a street hood and flashed their badges.

He looked at them and said, "That don't mean nothin' man. Show me some paper!" He wanted to see photo ID.

Wise law enforcement officers carry a folder which permits display of the badge and the photo ID at the same time.

When I was a fed (no uniform) we were trained that if we got into a shooting or had to draw our weapon that we should display our badges prominently so that local police would know our identity. BUT, when local police came on the scene we disarmed until they could come closer and verify the photo ID.

With regard to "badge" or "shield" - it's geographic. Different areas have different frames of reference. In big cities in the northeast, "shield" predominates. In the southeast we tend to say "badge." That may be, in part because in the south you see a lot more badges configured as a star rather than as a shield.

It seems to me that anyone who wants to display a CCW badge is saying "Look at me, look at me."

Spot 77 said it best, "Concealed means concealed."

tcsd1236
September 26, 2004, 01:55 AM
Bad.Screams wanna be.

Unisaw
September 26, 2004, 10:56 AM
Bad. You might as well have "I'm stupid" tattoed on your forehead.

Edmond
September 26, 2004, 10:58 AM
I wonder if Mr. Brinks lost his job over being a dumb@$$...:rolleyes:

CentralTexas
September 26, 2004, 11:25 AM
would there be a use at a crime scene?
Say you are holding criminals at gunpoint or have intervened in a Columbine and awaiting police?
Would it be a way to keep the local cops from just killing you?
I could see holding it up as they arrive so they don't assume you are the bad guy and take you out- they would never take the chance of hurting a fellow officer.
CT

iiibdsiil
September 28, 2004, 12:32 AM
If you actually had to have a CCW permit to get one and possess it, I could see it being a good thing. There is one on ebay though...

I mean, it might be kinda nice to have something that in the even something happens, you could flash it, and people won't totally trip out when you open fire. Maybe they would just think you are an off duty officer, just don't yell POLICE!

But, next thing you know, you have the BG's getting away because they flashed some damn badge and Officer Farva didn't check ID, and now they are gone.

borderguy
September 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
What's the point? Even the badge I wear says it conveys no authority unless accompanied by credentials. It's more likely to get you into trouble than save your ass. Some people like flashing em at the checkout when they pay for their goceries.

Sistema1927
September 28, 2004, 09:31 AM
G. Indicia of licensure. No person may carry a badge, patch, card, or any other indication of authority to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico other than the license issued by the department.

Non-issue in New Mexico (thank goodness).

gunsmith
September 28, 2004, 05:02 PM
I thought open carry was legal in PA,of course I could be wrong.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89564&highlight=open+AND+carry
I'm guessing you're talking about PA.
As to the armed guards choice of weapon some companies and some states have confusing regs,like FL for instance you can CCW allmost anything off duty (if you have a CCW) but armed guards there are only permitted to have .38's on duty (though I've heard some may get to carry 9mm with a lot of bureacratic judo) it may be that was the only gun he had that was acceptable to his employer.
When I first started looking for work in that field I went to wacky hut. Wacky hut in Frisco only lets you carry .38 revolvers,the company I work for now lets you carry just about anything except 1911 .45's -but a glock in .45 acp is fine!.
Wacky hut in Frisco insist that only their firearms and ammo may be carried by their guards,so you get a crappy not very well taken cared of abused revolver instead of your own well taken care of Ruger that you have fired accurately a million times.

El Rojo
September 29, 2004, 12:38 AM
My plan for not getting shot while I wait for the cops to arrive after I shoot or hold someone at gun point is to be on my cell phone. I have the local jurisdictions on speed dial and you can bet I will be talking to them directly and giving them a person discription of myself and the perp(s), emphasizing what I look like and to not immediately shoot me. That is my plan. A CCW badge is a sure sign of stupidity and will not look well to anyone there wanting to investigate why you drew your gun and/or shot someone.

borderguy
September 29, 2004, 12:57 AM
Well said El Rojo. Thinking a shiny badge will keep you from getting shot is the first sign of poor judgement. Rather than flash the badge at oncoming LEO's like your one of the boys, let the 911 operator know what's going on.

You never know if someone called 911 and said a cop impersonater just shot somebody.

In any case, chances are you be asked (ordered) to drop the weapon when the LEO's arrive.

CentralTexas
September 29, 2004, 07:54 AM
"You never know if someone called 911 and said a cop impersonater just shot somebody."

And the person calling 911 would know this how? Psychic ability?
-CT

OldStar
September 29, 2004, 02:02 PM
"You never know if someone called 911 and said a cop impersonater just shot somebody."

And the person calling 911 would know this how? Psychic ability?

Easy. The person calling 911 saw what a crummy wannabe badge you had.

AND, if it looks too much like a real badge, you ARE a cop impersonator.

By the way. If a cop says "DROP the gun," that doesn't mean lay it down - DROP it. I know of a cop friend of mine who shot a man who wouldn't DROP his gun because he didn't want to get it scratched up.

The best course of action is to lay it down as you see the police approach. Keep it close enough to retrieve it if the bad guy makes a move, but when the police get to you, step away from it.

And - use your voice. Shout to the cops that you are the one who stopped the crime, and point to the bad guy and tell them he is the bad guy.

The cops will trust no one until they have complete control of the scene, which might mean that they handcuff you as well as the bad guy. Don't resist. It will all get ironed out.

:cool:

Archangel
September 29, 2004, 02:07 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, what about this:

In Virginia, concealed carry in any establishment that sells alcohol is illegal, but open carry is still ok. So a CCW'er going into a restaurant for dinner has to go from concealed to open carry, which brings up the possibility of a blissninny freaking out and causing a scene.

Now, if the CCW'er had a badge on their belt next to their gun, the blissninny could happily assume they had just seen a cop, and the CCW'er could enjoy their dinner without a big drama being made, and without having to explain to the management / responding officers that yes, open carry is in fact legal.

I agree that any badge flashing / waving around / impersonating of an officer is a big no-no, and that CCW badges are more likely to be owned by posers and wannabes, but in the above scenario it does seem like a useful conflict avoidance tool, no?

OldStar
September 29, 2004, 02:23 PM
Absolutely makes sense to me.

However, I've got to believe that the Virginia legislature is going to say "Ooops," and change the open carry law.

As paranoid as Northern Virginia county governments are about firearms, I find it hard to believe that the open carry law ever passed.

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Badges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!