Would you let a relative or friend borrow your handgun, rifle or shotgun?

PDA

AirPower
September 24, 2004, 11:05 PM
For most people I would guess the answer is no due to liabiilty, but are there any legal cases involving this? Say, for example, your little sister who just came out of a bad relationship is fearing for her life with threats from exboyfriend. She asks you for a handgun, what do you tell her?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you let a relative or friend borrow your handgun, rifle or shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
September 24, 2004, 11:25 PM
I've loaned them out for family members who needed a gun for hunting...but never for someone needing protection.

If a person needs a firearm for protection they'd better get their own gun, some training, instruction, practice, and a CCW.

Double Maduro
September 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Depends on who it is.

DM

boofus
September 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Family, maybe. Anyone else, forget it.

JohnKSa
September 24, 2004, 11:34 PM
NO!

Because if they are reasonable and have taken the time to learn the basics of firearms safety, I've already helped them buy a gun or have GIVEN them one permanently.

If they don't already have one it's because they have a screwed up attitude about guns--their emergency doesn't change that--in fact the emergency is probably a product of the same kind of attitude.

angrywalkindude
September 24, 2004, 11:51 PM
Depending on the friend or relative, yes.

I have borrowed brown bag specials more than once myself.

I will not let people borrow or use anything of mine if their going to abuse it.

Say, for example, your little sister who just came out of a bad relationship is fearing for her life with threats from exboyfriend. She asks you for a handgun, what do you tell her?

Sure you don't want the M4?:D

MaterDei
September 25, 2004, 12:14 AM
Depends on the person and the reason they need it.

I'm more likely to lend to a friend than family though. You get to pick your friends, know what I mean? There are probably less than 10 people in this world I consider a friend, so by friend I'm assuming you mean somebody that you truly KNOW and not just an acquaintance.

Michael

White Horseradish
September 25, 2004, 12:53 AM
The ancient Cossack wisdom says that there are three things you never lend to anyone - your gun, your horse and your wife. In that order. :D

rick_reno
September 25, 2004, 01:59 AM
I have a few loaned out to family members now. About 15 years ago I bought a Rem. youth rifle in .243 for my daughter to hunt with (she's in graduate school now) and it was sitting in my safe not getting used. I was talking with the neighbors twins who wanted to hunt deer but didn't have a rifle, so for the last two years it's put meat in their pot. My rule is pretty simple - if you use it - clean it.

stealthmode
September 25, 2004, 03:01 AM
no, if they want to shoot they have to be with me.

Feanaro
September 25, 2004, 04:57 AM
Depends on who was asking and for what. If a suitably responsible and truthworthy guy(I am obligated, by threats from a tide of shaggy women with armpit hair, to say "gal" as well) needed a rifle to do some hunting with, sure. But he by God best take care of my property or he buys me another one. If someone needed a firearm for self-defense, I might do it. Might. I would really have to trust the person and they would have to be in a bind. I would make it understood that the loan was temporary. As soon as possible the party in question would buy his(or her) own firearm.

And if there is so much as a speck of rust, I hope the offender has prayed to Vishnu lately. ;)

Black Majik
September 25, 2004, 06:08 AM
Nope no one gets one of my firearms. The only one I'd let borrow for say, a range session would be my dad.

Other than that, even my close friends wont be able to take a gun outta my sight.

Greg L
September 25, 2004, 08:58 AM
I would be more likely to loan one to a friend than family.

That said, most of my friends are well armed to begin with & wouldn't be asking in the first place (I do remember one occasion when I loaned someone my P-32 as he needed a tiny pistol for one day).

Family is essentially clueless about any type of weapon so there would have to be an overwhelming need for me to loan them something (in a SHTF scenario I envision them being more gainfully employed reloading magazines than providing covering fire :D ).

Greg

Mixlesplick
September 25, 2004, 09:07 AM
The ancient Cossack wisdom says that there are three things you never lend to anyone - your gun, your horse and your wife. In that order.

That pretty much sums up my attitude but I would let someone use my guns if they were at the range with me or hunting with me. That's all.

stevelyn
September 25, 2004, 09:18 AM
Nope.
If they'd paid any attention to anything I've ever said about the subject of gun ownership, personal protection, etc. they would be properly prepared for any contingincy.
P!$$ poor planning and performance on their part does not constitute an emergency or obligation on my part.
And what JohnKsa said.:D

MR.G
September 25, 2004, 09:33 AM
I have no problem doing it, as long as they know how to handle the gun.

MP5
September 25, 2004, 09:38 AM
Only at a range with me after they've been well instructed. Otherwise, for legal liability and safety reasons, no way in hell. (Plus, I wouldn't want to give the antis something new to crow about if something went wrong.) Friends or relatives should get instruction and buy their own. I'd of course be happy to help them with that process if they asked.

Blackcloud6
September 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
I'm with MP5.. only on the range with me there. Otherwise, no.

WT
September 25, 2004, 10:27 AM
Yes, I would loan out a firearm to a family member. I would trust them to use it responsibly. If they needed a firearm for self protection I would flat out give it to them.

Some close friends would also be on my list.

Newguy1
September 25, 2004, 10:34 AM
With my true friends, anything I own they are welcome to have, and they know it. Guns are just things, the buddies (true friends) I have are valued more than a mere item. I am lucky that I consider my father a true friend (I did just lend/let him have a .357 revolver).

mcneill
September 25, 2004, 10:47 AM
Dad always said "Never loan or borrow a gun or a car." Kinda like the Cossack and the horse thing.

I have given guns to my son, but I can't envision a situation where I would be comfortable in loaning one for all the reasons already stated - liability, lack of planning, etc. My wife's neice once talked about needing to borrow a gun because of some "problem". She didn't come right out and ask, but no way in H**l would I have loaned her one. She was a complete airhead.

Jim

JuniorG
September 25, 2004, 11:01 AM
I'll go to the range and let ya shoot my guns but, they ain't leaving my site.

If you want a gun like mine to take home with you go buy your own.

Guns_and_Labs
September 25, 2004, 11:29 AM
I've loaned a (spare) rifle or shotgun to my son or a couple of trusted hunting buddies, many times.

Then I've got a buddy with whom I've swapped stuff with...but I think I've been a net borrower...he has LOTS more cool stuff than I do.

klover
September 25, 2004, 11:37 AM
Seriously (pleeease don't ban me for life, I love THR!!),
my family and most of my friends are gun folk already anyways.
Those who would ask me for a loan would probably NOT be safe with one.

Shootcraps
September 25, 2004, 11:39 AM
I would trust a couple of my good friends with anything I have. That's cool.

And probably my family, but not my wife's. ;)

Highland Ranger
September 25, 2004, 11:42 AM
PRNJ forbids it for handguns.

Not sure about long guns . . .

ExtremeDooty
September 25, 2004, 11:43 AM
I have one friend and one brother that I would loan to if hunting with me. The rest of my family has no clue and don't understand why I carry a gun.

In the self defense scenario, I'd rather give them $100 and have them buy a Hi-Point or a used revolver.

TallPine
September 25, 2004, 11:49 AM
I would loan a gun to another "gun person" if it was something he or she didn't have for something they needed - say a caliber for a certain hunt, etc.

I don't really even like to borrow guns ... a neighbor wanted me to just go take this or that for a few days to try it out, but I really didn't want to be responsible for his gun(s). I'd rather shoot it with him present, but he didn't have the time at that moment because he was getting ready to move :( (why is it the GOOD neighbors that move away?)

I did borrow a short barrel pump shotgun a couple times while up in Alaska. All I had at that time was a muzzleloader and a 22. Now I can't figure out why I didn't just go out and buy one myself at the time ...:confused:

gigmike
September 25, 2004, 11:54 AM
For range shooting or trap sure, if we're on the sam hunting trip sure. That is for long guns, handguns a definite no. For protection no, that means they're probably not proficient with the firearm.

JerryM
September 25, 2004, 12:31 PM
I have a few friends that I would loan a gun, either a handgun or long gun, to. One must use good judgment in this, but I am not going to let the lawyers control my life any more than I can help.

I will use the best wisdom I have and let the chips fall where they may.

Jerry

YodaVader
September 25, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have had friends loan me guns before. I was interested in a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk and friend said "I'll let you borrow mine!" No problem! Another time someone else let me borrow their 357 lever action. I once offered a friend the use of my custom 10/22. I have had friends loan me the use of their vehicle before - worth a lot more than most any gun. At the moment I have a borrowed Contender barrel.

mtnbkr
September 25, 2004, 01:17 PM
Family: Absolutely.

Friends: Depends on their experience level and my trust level.

Chris

Mannlicher
September 25, 2004, 01:30 PM
I have, and would, lend a firearm to a family member of friend, if I was sure of their skill level with guns. No one would get a loaner if I was not sure that they would not hurt themselves or others due to no knowledge of the gun.

WEPS
September 25, 2004, 02:08 PM
no

joab
September 25, 2004, 02:42 PM
I've done it twice.
I won't do it again.

I loaned my step dad a beautiful Yugo SKS I got back a rusted blemished stock POS. And that was after a week.

I loaned a pistol to my son because he wasn't old enough to buy one and depsperatly needed it after a home invasion with threats of more to come even if he moved. Turns out it was a drug related situation. I had always told him that if he was introuble I would always help if he called. if it had any thing to do with drugs, DON"T CALL.

Now I operate under the same rules as I do for lending money, if I can afford to loan it to you I can afford to give it to you

grislyatoms
September 25, 2004, 02:43 PM
No. I declared a moratorium on "loaning" anything to anybody when my $300 carpet steamer came home broken.

goon
September 25, 2004, 04:07 PM
I would loan one to my dad or my brother if need be. Hell, I have given guns to them.

I would not loan one to my little sister though. Seriously, she is one of those morons you hear about. I barely trust her with scissors. I wouldn't give her a gun unless I was participating in an Alamo type shootout/standoff. Even then, I would have already accepted that I was going to die. Arming her in that scenario at least does me no additional harm.

As for friends, nope. Don't have any to loan.

mcmoyer
September 25, 2004, 04:32 PM
I would loan my brother anything I have, and the same goes for my best friend. Otherwise, it would be on a case by case situation.

jefnvk
September 25, 2004, 05:21 PM
Family would be mostly yes, most of my family and extended family are all proficient with firearms. The only reason they would is because they were trying something they were thinking about buying, or theirs was broke and being fixed.

Friends, MAYBE one or two, depending on the situtation. Definitely not for protection, I would help them get one. I don't want my gun tied up in an investigation, possibly confiscated, and me potentially having liabilities.

Handguns are a no, says Michigan.

birddog
September 25, 2004, 05:37 PM
I usually carry a "spare" rifle or shotgun (depending on where I'm hunting) and also usually carry a backup shotgun during bird season. I've loaned these to friends on countless occasions for various reasons such as breakdowns. My trusted hunting partners (3 of them and they know who they are) can borrow anything of mine they want. If they don't know how to handle it, I'd show them. Here in NY, you can't let anyone handle handguns that aren't on their permit, so loaning a handgun is not an issue. However, if I COULD, I would not loan one out for personal protection. I'd encourage the person to take the mandated safety course, and get their own handgun.

GrayBear
September 25, 2004, 05:53 PM
Yes, with minor reservations. In my family, the only question would be, "Which one do you want?" On my wife's side of the family there's a BIL and a nephew who would be treated the same way. Others might or might not qualify but only after a trip to the range.

As for friends, I wouldn't be calling them a friend if I couldn't trust them. There are prople you're friendly with, then there are friends.

GrayBear

countertop
September 25, 2004, 06:51 PM
I routinly trade guns with family members for all sorts of purposes as well as with some of my neighbors

In fact, for the last 6 months, I've actually been carrying one of my neighbors guns day to day because its smaller and easier to conceal with summer clothes.

motorep
September 25, 2004, 07:26 PM
Sure, I've had competitor friends offer me loaners when my stuff had to be in the shop, I've loaned some out for the same reason.

one45auto
September 26, 2004, 01:04 AM
My brother-in-law once loaned his Ruger Blackhawk to a relative who left it outside on the deck overnight, and worse yet in the pouring rain. :eek: Amazingly, it didn't rust and after a thorough cleaning was as good as new.

My own policy is, select members of my immediate family, yes, but everyone else no.

Dorian
September 26, 2004, 01:25 AM
I re-enlisted in the US Army and got sent to Korea.

I left my car and guns with my best friend.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 26, 2004, 02:44 AM
Friday I stopped at jfruser's house and offered him the loan of one of my Swedes to get a feel of it, since he's considering a CG63. but I'd forgotten he already had a model 38. Offer still stands, though.

I've lent longarms to my brother before. I even bought him a H&R 12 gauge after he was burgled and all his were stolen many years ago.

All in all, it sort of depends.

Regards,
Rabbit.

schromf
September 26, 2004, 03:25 AM
My immediate family wouldn't ask to borrow, if my sons or daughter asked I would either give them it or go buy them something suitable. Whats mine is my wifes so to speak although I have taken back guns and given her something simpler that she likes better.

Family outside the above. Don't even ask, isn't going to happen.

I really don't like borrowing other peoples guns, would never feel comfortable with more than a few test clips or cylinders at the range. Basically if you lend me a firearm, I am responsible for it and will return it to your possesion in the exact condition I borrowed it in. Hence I have undue concern whenever I have it.

On the flip side I expect the same. I have been in situations where I have had both to borrow and lend guns. Always in hunting camp where some failure ended up leaving a hunter without a firearm. I am never on the recieving end anymore because I carry spares. In these circumstances to a responsible party yes.

For self protection, I doubt it, but circumstances dictate. In my past I have worked in some very low rent crappy places similar to Iraq. If you were with me and I thought you needed to be armed, I would hand you a firearm, make sure you knew how to use it, and pray you didn't. If I got it back later that would be a bonus. Most scenarios here in America I don't consider that dire and I would be extremely hesitant on arming someone, I'm not saying it could never happen but it would be a extremely rare situation.

ENC
September 26, 2004, 04:19 AM
I have loaned a gun twice (meaning it left my possesion and sight). I share at the range often.

Both times I have had good experiences.

One a close friend wanted to borrow my scoped deer rifle for hunting season because his rifle had a loose sight. He returned it and said, "Man that thing is sighted in real good for 10 yards."

Other time another friends wife called us at work and she had won a considerable pot in Bingo and didn't want to claim it without her husband present. He has a CWP but wasn't carrying that day. I lent him my gun for the night and got it back the next day.

When I loan guns I do stipulate that they use my ammo so I know that it being fed well, and that I clean it so it is done the way I want it done. I am picky and it suits them and me equally well.

themic
September 26, 2004, 05:23 AM
never has happened, but the short answer is:

depends on the person. and the reason.

i have no problem if they have the right training or attitude. or, if they have the right attitude but no training, i'll fill that in if need be.

but i'm also the type to borrow or loan a car. will do so quite easily, without thought. as long as it's the right person. with the right skills and attitude.

this encompasses all immediate family, and about 80% of my friends.

4570Rick
September 26, 2004, 06:19 AM
Short answer...NO

But ponder this...You can pick your friends...You can't pick your family.:scrutiny:

SAG0282
September 26, 2004, 06:22 AM
Depends....for the most part the answer is yes. I DID loan a buddy my P226 after he became a courier and got his CPL...he ended up buying it recently after carrying it on loan for six months.

Sam Norton
September 26, 2004, 07:17 AM
I would risk my life to protect my friends and family. Of course I would, risk a $500 gun.

Best Regards,
Sam

c_yeager
September 26, 2004, 08:12 AM
Im not friends with people I don't trust. So, my answere is yes I would gladly loan any of them any firearm in my collection without question.

entropy
September 26, 2004, 09:03 AM
Friends or Family, it depends on the the person's abilites, skill level, and intent. I had one lapse of judgement and soldt a pistol to a BIL's brother, fortunately he had sold it before his stay in the rubber room. My family has the guns it needs, generally, or I usually help in the decision process. My wife's family, no, except I did offer my 870 to her Dad for turkey. I have lent rifles and shotguns out to friends for hunting, with no problems. I go case-by-case there.
Of course, at the range, hey sure, you can fire any of my guns, that's what makes range time fun, and I often end up buying a gun like somebody's that I just shot.:D ( I want a Yugo SKS real bad!)

aerod1
September 26, 2004, 11:46 AM
I have loaned guns to my daughter and son in law to take to the range for some quality shooting time. My daughter takes her CHL renewal with my Ruger P89DC. My son in law has dove hunted with one of my shotguns. He and my daughter can borrow any gun I own. After all they will all belong to them someday.
I have loaned a Remington 300 win mag. to my brother to Elk hunt with in Colorado. I have loaned a 270 to a friend, who is a Dallas police officer, for deer hunting the entire deer season. I loaned a 30-06 to a hunting buddy after his gun malfunctioned.
I have several friends whom I would loan a gun for range time or hunting or CHL classes.
Will I loan mine to just anyone? No! But there are friends and family whom I trust well enough to loan my guns. They are very responsible and safe.
I have a friend who can borrow any gun I own just because he wants.
Is that being irresponsible? No. I know these people very well.

Jim

ReadyontheRight
September 26, 2004, 03:45 PM
I would loan one to a friend for hunting.

If for self-defense, I would give them one w/ some sort of signed receipt or more likely help them buy one. Some training would of course be involved.

borderguy
September 26, 2004, 03:55 PM
I have an SKS, Kel-Tec 9mm and Llama .45 I will loan out to family members and close friends I trust. My good stuff stays with me!!!

Skofnung
September 26, 2004, 04:43 PM
It depends on the person.

All of my immediate family members own multiple guns, so that is not a problem.

Most of my friends own multiple guns as well, so no problem there.

I did have a close friend ask me a few years ago to borrow a pistol. Upon further inquiry I found out he wanted it for his wife (a very irresponsible person)to use for HD. I told him "you have half a dozen shotguns, she needs one of those and training, not a pistol."

I've had other "friends" ask to borrow guns because of "stalkers" "ex-boyfriends" and the like. They all got the "NO. You wouldn't know what to do with it if you needed it. I'll be glad to train you though..."

I have loaned guns to friends from out of town on a need to use basis though.

Roon
September 26, 2004, 07:52 PM
I had an old Navy buddy from the days in SEAsia show about 2am once, showed me an ID he faked, "DICE", Dept of Intelligence and Counter Espionage, and wanted to borrow my S&W .357.

I passed.

He was pissed.

Better pissed than dead.

JoeWang
September 26, 2004, 08:56 PM
True friends and brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents yes. Some aunts and uncles, cousins too. I have a large extended family. Others on a case-by-case basis.

I have some friends I would trust to protect my wife and children. I am blessed. They are too. The respect is mutual.

MikeB
September 26, 2004, 11:20 PM
Well every one of my immediate family has their own guns, but I would loan one of mine to them. I also wouldl loan one to uncles that come to visit from MA on occasion - they always bring their own though. As for friends there are one or two I would loan one to, and I have had a couple different friends hand me one of theirs to work on for them.

At the range - I generally always will let people shoot anything I've got with me. The look on a couple young teenagers faces when I let them shoot my .50 Beowulf was priceless. There father was there shooting a couple .22's and a handgun or two and they were looking at my rifle - not touching just looking from a few feet away; so I asked the fathers permission and then let them have at it for a couple rounds each.

Oh and I borrow guns from my father all the time his collection dwarfs my not so small collection. I'm also the official test firer for his home built 1911's; as I get to the range a little more often than he does.

LASur5r
September 27, 2004, 06:10 PM
Lent a friend a Galil because there were a bunch of home invasion robberies going on in his area and he wanted to protect his wife and newborn son.

He got busted with the rifle in his vehicle and he had a prison record....disturbing the peace when he and his wife were going on hard times.

My rifle, three 25 round mags, folding stock, and 1000 rounds of .308 ammo is now part of the melt down that L.A. county has every year.:( :cuss:

Russ
September 27, 2004, 06:25 PM
LASur5r,

Ouch, what a drag and a half. That would make me fume for the rest of my life.

To the general question:

I would never loan a gun to a friend. My wife, my kids and my brother are the only ones that I would ever loan to and even then, I would want details on why they need it. If it is to "protect" themselves or go after someone, forget about it. If they need protecting that bad they can come and stay with me.

JoeWang
September 27, 2004, 08:41 PM
Yes. I keep plenty of non-gun-snob but effective firearms at home. SKS, ruger P89, P94, remy 870, etc. Those are the weapons I don't trade in because a friend in need may stop by. Or my son may need one in 20 years. Whatever. Yes, I will loan out my lesser pieces to those in need who are legal to posess. No I will not loan out to an illegal posessor.

Ky Larry
September 27, 2004, 10:05 PM
I have loaned my S&W Model 29 to my friends daughter for deer hunting since she was 16. She's 23 now and in grad school. She always fills her deer tag. My revolver comes back clean and I get a venison stir fry dinner. Good deal for all involved.

rust collector
September 27, 2004, 10:48 PM
Yep, feels good to help others enjoy the shooting sports. I check out their skills thoroughly and go through the operation drills repeatedly, making sure that they will be comfortable and safe with the gun. None of my guns is extremely fancy, and I am fortunate enough to have a few "experienced" guns that will win no beauty contests, so a few extra scratches or dings won't matter.

I especially like loaning deer or varmint rifles to young friends and relatives whose parents may not be big on the shooting sports. Parent and child both learn from the experience and usually ask for advice when it's time for them to buy. It's good for them to be able to take a test drive so long as they're safety conscious.

But I'm probably a little funny this way. I have a second set of power tools for demolition work and lending, so my good ones get to stay in my shop.

field70
September 27, 2004, 11:46 PM
I did...my closest friend had only a 10/22..78 years old..lots of stuff going on in the neighborhood..I let him have a S&W mod 15, 4". He kept it for a year, never had to use it and at that time I sold it to him...In October of 03 he found that he had cancer of the voice box, with only a few months to live. He passed on Aug 30th, 04,, About a month before he passed, I bought the gun back from him for what he had paid me for it...After he passed, his widow gave me his 10/22...It's older, but fired very little. If I could do it over, for him, I would...But not for many others.

CAS700850
September 28, 2004, 11:38 AM
I would (in the right circumstances) and I have.

My best man flew in from Arizona for my wedding, and did not have the time to pack a handgun in his luggage and prepare to comply with the regs. No problem. I picked he and his wife up at the airport, took them to my place, and handed him a Smith Model 19, 2 1/2 barrel (just like the one he left in Arizona), a box of 158 grn +P LSWHP, two speed loaders, and a belt slide holster (just like he has in Arizona). Two weeks later, he handed it all back, along with a new holster, new grips, and a second box of ammo.

Of course, he and I spent three years of law school shooting at every opportunity, and I helped him pick out his Model 19 at a gun show. Trust was never a thought.

Shootcraps
September 28, 2004, 11:47 AM
My best man flew in from Arizona for my wedding, and did not have the time to pack a handgun in his luggage and prepare to comply with the regs. No problem. I picked he and his wife up at the airport, took them to my place, and handed him a Smith Model 19, 2 1/2 barrel (just like the one he left in Arizona), a box of 158 grn +P LSWHP, two speed loaders, and a belt slide holster (just like he has in Arizona). Two weeks later, he handed it all back, along with a new holster, new grips, and a second box of ammo.

That must have been some wedding if the best man needed a gun. :eek:

Binkster
September 28, 2004, 05:44 PM
Yes, which leads to a couple of questions. Is it legal to loan a gun to a friend? How about a long term loaner? And, does it make a difference if it is a handgun or long gun? I know in PA there are no private handgun transactions anymore. I recently inquired at the local shop if it is OK to give or loan a gun to a family member. I was told that is allowable for immediate family members only. Sorry for highjacking the thread.

MikeB
September 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
Blinkster there is language allowing the loaning or giving a firearm to someone in PA who is licensed to carry. And yes between family members is generally legal.

6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.

(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.

(b) Exception.--

1. Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
1. The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
2. The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.
3. The person who receives the firearm is engaged in a hunter safety program certified by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a firearm training program or competition sanctioned or approved by the National Rifle Association.
4. The person who receives the firearm meets all of the following:

Note exception number 1. I have had someone argue that this section contradicts the section about transfers of a firearm. I'm not a lawyer.

Oops forgot the link.

PA firearms statutes. (http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6115.html)

notbubba
September 29, 2004, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine has my Ruger 10/22 right now.

Kamicosmos
September 29, 2004, 01:56 PM
DeJaVu on this thread...coulda swore this came up already.

Well...I would only loan my guns to a very short list of people. For protection purposes....well, pretty much the same list. Most already have guns for that role so it doesn't matter much.

That said...if they wanted to borrow, say my SP101 to take on an out of state trip or something....no. I don't like to loan my car to someone for out of state, or even long drives, too much hassle if they get pulled over. Add a gun that's not their's into the mix? It's not that I don't trust them....I just don't want to see them getting into a situation that could get hairy on a legal aspect. Espcially for a speeding ticket or something.

As far as legal proplems if they borrow a gun and have to use it in defense? I'll take the courtroom drama about my borrowed gun over a dead friend or relative any day of the week.

Vic303
September 29, 2004, 02:28 PM
I'd loan anything requested that I own to my sister's husband if he gets sent TDY back to Iraq.

xdoctor
September 29, 2004, 02:52 PM
I do this all the time. A good friend of mine has had one of my AK's on loan for about three months now. I keep joking with him that he'd better just write me a check because he's never going to want to bring it back.

I have a .38 on loan to my brother in California right now, he knows how to shoot, but the communist people's republic won't let him buy a gun yet.

Gave my last girlfriend a .45 hi point. No idea why.

cratz2
September 29, 2004, 06:22 PM
If I thought a family member was in serious danger, I'd get the familiar with it, sell them the gun for $1 under the provision that then would sell it back... This is assuming they couldn't afford one at the time.

I'm not going to let a family member be killed or maimed or whatever just because they didn't share my view on guns before the fact.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you let a relative or friend borrow your handgun, rifle or shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!