High School Nixes Yearbook Photo Of Student With Gun (NH)

PDA

gunsmith
September 25, 2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/3759048/detail.html
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0924/3759647_120X90.jpg

School Says Photo Violates Anti-Violence Policy

POSTED: 3:12 pm EDT September 24, 2004
UPDATED: 6:03 pm EDT September 24, 2004

LONDONDERRY, N.H. -- Londonderry High School nixed a student's request to publish a yearbook photo featuring a gun, saying it violated the school's zero-tolerance policy on violence, drugs and alcohol.
Londonderry High School allows seniors to submit their own yearbook photos. Photos often show students posing with musical instruments or vehicles.

School administrators said the photo of senior Blake Douglass holding a trapshooting gun over his shoulder is inappropriate and will not publish it in the yearbook.

The school's principal, superintendent and Jostens, the yearbook publisher, sided with yearbook adviser Steve Juster's initial decision to reject the photo."Taking into consideration all the things that have happened with school violence, it's not appropriate even though skeet shooting is a fine hobby," said Nathan S. Greenberg, Londonderry's school superintendent.

Douglass' lawyer, Penny Dean, said the photo is no different from any other student photo in representing an interest or hobby. Dean said she is asking the National Rifle Association and church groups for financial support in case Douglass decides to sue the school.

A local Jostens representative says it is not unusual to edit students' photos and messages for appropriateness.

If you enjoyed reading about "High School Nixes Yearbook Photo Of Student With Gun (NH)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darkmind
September 25, 2004, 12:41 AM
What ever happened to the first amendment?:rolleyes:

Desertdog
September 25, 2004, 12:42 AM
Maybe he can use the 2nd Amendment in his fight.:evil:

Moparmike
September 25, 2004, 12:51 AM
I see him purpetrating no violence in the pics, unless you happen to be a clay pigeon.

Even as a car nut, I see a 17yr old sitting next to a hot-rod with more "potential" for violence and harm than some kid with an over-under properly carried over his shoulder. :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
September 25, 2004, 03:06 AM
Somewhere beyond death's door, George III is laughing himself silly.

OF
September 25, 2004, 09:32 AM
In NH of all places. One of the last states I would think you'd see this kind of BS.

Sic 'em Penny!

- Gabe

Mulliga
September 25, 2004, 09:40 AM
Taking into consideration all the things that have happened with school violence, it's not appropriate even though skeet shooting is a fine hobby

I don't see how holding an O/U, action open, over your shoulder and wearing a trap vest make you a violent school shooter.

:rolleyes:

MP5
September 25, 2004, 09:41 AM
Maybe he should contact the GOA and ACLU alike. The latter helped defend a kid who wanted to wear his NRA hat or T-shirt to school.

Great values they teach in schools these days: don't exercise your Constitutional rights or else.

I don't see how holding an O/U, action open, over your shoulder and wearing a trap vest make you a violent school shooter.

Most people are so ignorant and scared of guns, they'd wet themselves if they saw a kid with a cap gun. (Are they even allowed to make those anymore?)

*Remember to vote in the poll on the page linked above!*

BeLikeTrey
September 25, 2004, 09:55 AM
get on and vote folks...

Smoke
September 25, 2004, 10:11 AM
There is a poll on the link provided about whether you agree or not.

Nuke it.

Smoke

Jake
September 25, 2004, 10:28 AM
48\48 on the poll.

And the funny thing is that my highschool yearbook has a picture of a girl like that in it. She was big time into skeet shooting too. Nobody said a darn thing about then and that was only 12 or13 years ago. Scary how much times have changed.

tulsamal
September 25, 2004, 10:32 AM
How amusing that their state motto is "live free or die?"

So are they are going to start falling over dead now?

Gregg

sendec
September 25, 2004, 10:35 AM
I need to hunt down the figures, but I believe that the number of incidents of "school violence" are decreasing, school violence being defined as mass shootings and homicides in which weapons are used. I dont suppose "facts" are much use in a situation like this........:scrutiny:

Should probably ban pictures of the chess club. it promotes aggression.

Slimjim
September 25, 2004, 11:13 AM
Should probably ban pictures of the chess club. it promotes aggression.

As sports also promote agression, and Competition between students. Also it could promote gambling in small groups.

mussi
September 25, 2004, 11:16 AM
I'd propose a picture of a guy with a chainsaw and a blood-red shirt next year.:neener:

Dr.Who
September 25, 2004, 12:02 PM
The poll (our Side) is winning although by a slim margin. Be sure to post your concern...;)

chetth
September 25, 2004, 12:27 PM
Would they post a similar photo if the student had enlisted and posed in uniform with his weapon?

Idiots... blinding themselves to what makes America America

mcneill
September 25, 2004, 12:59 PM
Good guys are now leading poll by 50% to 47%.

Jim

aut2no
September 25, 2004, 04:52 PM
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/3760792/detail.html

ACLU May Also Back Boy, Who Wants Gun In His Portrait

POSTED: 2:37 pm EDT September 25, 2004
UPDATED: 3:12 pm EDT September 25, 2004

LONDONDERRY, N.H. -- The National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of New Hampshire have agreed to support a Londonderry high schooler in a lawsuit, the student's attorney said.

Video

Student Fights For Photo's Inclusion

The student, Londonderry High School senior Blake Douglass, had requested a photo of himself with a shotgun slung over his shoulder be published in the school's yearbook.

The gun is a type usable for skeet shooting. Penny Dean, Douglass' attorney, has said it's similar to other yearbook photos showing, for example, students with musical instruments or other items demonstrating hobbies. School officials have said a photo with a gun violates their zero-tolerance policies.

"This is a case of political correctness run amok," said NRA spokeswoman Kelly Hobbs.

The two gun groups are the only organizations committed to supporting Douglass if the dispute reaches federal court. But Dean said several national groups, including church organizations and possibly the American Civil Liberties Union, would likely back her client.

She estimated the national groups could contribute about $100,000, and said Douglass would sue if his district doesn't overturn its decision on the photo by Oct. 31.

But Londonderry is prepared for a protracted legal battle.

"We have insurance," said Londonderry Superintendent Nathan S. Greenberg. "We believe that the decision that was made was appropriate. I don't have a problem going through the legal process."

Londonderry School Board Chairman Anne Jacoby agreed.

"It seems that the wheels have been pretty much set in motion," she said.

The NRA blamed the district for confusing "the difference between the criminal misuse" of guns and law-abiding citizens' use of them for shooting sports, Hobbs said.

Greenberg said he and other district administrators recognize sport shooting.

"Nobody's saying skeet shooting is a bad thing," he said. "But I think it's a question of appropriateness and venue. If you allow this to happen, you open up a whole series of other possibilities, and I think the school has a right to edit a yearbook."

Hobbs questioned the judgment.

"The photograph clearly has nothing to do with violence," she said. "In fact, it reflects a deep-rooted American heritage that teaches safety and responsibility."

The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence, based in Washington, D.C., did not give an overall comment on the lawsuit. But Associate Communications Director Eric Howard said, "if this had been an AK-47 or a Tech-9, that would be a completely different issue."

The district's late-August nixing of Douglass' yearbook photo is not the first time the school's administrators have disallowed aspects of his hobby on campus. Douglass said assistant principals and teachers took away his gun magazines during a lunch period last year.

Greenberg said he was unaware of previous incidents.

But "this is not a case of singling out a student," he said. "Everyone I've talked to has said he's a nice kid. This was simply a decision that was made based on what we thought was appropriate for a senior yearbook."

aut2no
September 25, 2004, 05:03 PM
In NH of all places. One of the last states I would think you'd see this kind of BS.

For those unfamilar with the geography, NH borders Mass. Due to cost of housing, there has been a population explosion in Southern NH, many from Mass (meaning many Democratic liberals).

This is why NH is considered a "swing state" for president.

Desertdog
September 25, 2004, 05:09 PM
I am wondering if they have archery and javelin throwing at the school and allow pictures of same in the yearbook.

If so he should have an even better case against them.

ssr
September 25, 2004, 05:51 PM
Is this where our society is going? People are losing all ability to reason and be rational. So-called political-correctness is becoming dogma and is stifling free thought.

This picture show a smiling kid with a sport shotgun. A truely American image of a good, responsible looking kid, exactly something that should be promoted. If this was my kid I would be outraged at that school.

Andrew Rothman
September 25, 2004, 07:30 PM
New New Hampshire state motto: Live free (unless we tell you otherwise)

We're winning - 54/43.

Please vote at http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/3759048/detail.html

AZRickD
September 25, 2004, 11:15 PM
http://schools.londonderry.org/lhs/

Phone (603) 432-6941
Fax (603) 425-1022
Principal - James Elefante ext 2200

Londonderry Town Hall
50 Nashua Rd
Londonderry, NH 03053

Telephone: (603)432-1100

Town Manager, David Caron: dcaron@londonderry.org

Town Council http://www.londonderry.org/page.asp?Page_Id=97

Chairman, Martin Bove martyb213@aol.com
Vice Chairman, Michael Brown mikebrown@kronos.com
Tom Dolan katom@aol.com
Mark Oswlad mkoswald@aol.com
Brian Farmer farmernh@adelphia.com

S Roper
September 25, 2004, 11:41 PM
While I think it was a stupid decision, I don't understand why the yearbook staff shouldn't have the right to decide the content of their yearbook.

Devonai
September 25, 2004, 11:53 PM
I'm talking this up with my neighbors and co-workers. Hopefully the school will relent.

AZRickD
September 25, 2004, 11:56 PM
They have the right to make all sorts of editorial decisions. The question is whether we will give them a little pain for their trouble.

I vote for a little pain.

Are you going to let them get away with villifying a sport that happens to utilize a gun, and hence, villify the RKBA in general?

Step up to the plate, man.

Rick

Andrew Rothman
September 26, 2004, 12:00 AM
While I think it was a stupid decision, I don't understand why the yearbook staff shouldn't have the right to decide the content of their yearbook.

That would make sense. But, unfortunately, courts have long held that for school publications, the school administration is the de jure "publisher," and thus may restrict content in any way it wishes, in the same way that a newspaper publisher could tell his editor-in-chief what to print or not print.

The constitutional rights (or lack thereof) of minors in general and of public school students in particular is very interesting and complex, but it's pretty cut and dried when it comes to the student "press": They ain't got any.

So any leverage will come from embarassing and publicly pressuring the school, not from a favorable court ruling.

tulsamal
September 26, 2004, 12:00 AM

Because it isn't THEIR yearbook. They are just the techs and clerks who actually put it together. The people who buy it, have their friends sign it, and then keep it for the rest of their lives are the OWNERS of the yearbook. I don't know or remember who put together MY senior yearbook but I do know we got to decide what we wanted to put in there.

Gregg

Andrew Rothman
September 26, 2004, 12:03 AM
That doesn't make sense, Gregg. The yearbook advisor and principal are making the call, not the student body.

And, being a former high school yearbook geek, I'll tell you that of course the yearbook staff decides what goes in the yearbook. How else? Have a school assembly to vote on each page's layout?

AZRickD
September 26, 2004, 01:14 AM
This is a silly diversion to this thread.

A pitcher (the principal) has every right to throw a pitch. The batter (gunnie activists) have not only a right, but an obligation to hit that m***** f***** out of the park.

It doesn't matter if they have a "right" to edit one of our bretheren out of the yearbook.

The question is, are we going to put some heat on these PC twits?

Sheesh. Too much contemplation of one's belly button. S*** or get off the pot.

Rick

Shootcraps
September 26, 2004, 01:38 AM
It's not just the yearbook advisor and principal's call. It's also Josten's. In their contract to do the yearbook, they have final say over what they will publish.

I disagree with it, and we're winning 56-42.

gunsmith
September 26, 2004, 02:04 AM
thank you for putting the phone # of those pc twits on here,I've hardly been home this month and am writing this response from Nevada, I'll be back in frisco and heating up the phone lines on monday!S*** or get off the pot.
Amen!

AZRickD
September 26, 2004, 02:28 AM
I left a voice-mail on principal Jim Elefantaaaaaay's phone.

I e-mailed the rest.

Rick

El Guero
September 26, 2004, 03:00 AM
I didn't even take any senior pictures with my trap gun in High school (just last year), but out high school yearbook always had at least a half page or maybe even a whole page for the trap team. We always took much glee in getting some good gun pictures in the yearbook.

I do kind of feel bad for the principal in this situation. Lets face it, to be an administrator in a school these days has to require a very open mind and some skills at toeing the line. I'm sure the guy worried that he would get calls about the picture, and to try and save himself some trouble, he went and created a whole lot more for himself.

Nightfall
September 26, 2004, 12:22 PM
Douglass said assistant principals and teachers took away his gun magazines during a lunch period last year.
No unauthorized learning or subjects of interest in school! :rolleyes: The antis are working on them when they're young.

spartacus2002
September 26, 2004, 05:02 PM
Is this where our society is going? People are losing all ability to reason and be rational. So-called political-correctness is becoming dogma and is stifling free thought.

These school administrators are the product of an education culture that prides itself on teaching students what to feel, not how to think.

And now they are passing the same blissninny instruction on to our kids....

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 4, 2004, 12:21 PM
The story made the "Tounge Tied" column on Foxnews (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134334,00.html) today.

- pdmoderator

tulsamal
October 4, 2004, 03:00 PM
And, being a former high school yearbook geek, I'll tell you that of course the yearbook staff decides what goes in the yearbook. How else? Have a school assembly to vote on each page's layout?

I was a yearbook photographer so I know a little about how this works too. In our yearbook the seniors were in the first section. Each one had their "official" picture. And then they had an unofficial picture that they got to chose. If they wanted to put in a picture of themselves playing tennis for the school team, that was fine. (We would probably try to talk them out of that one since there was a sports section and we could just put it in there.) A picture with their car, their dog, whatever. Sounds like what was happening in these pictures.

The point is that the school _asked_ these students for some personal pictures that showed them doing something important _to them._ But then they said no when a student showed he liked to participate in an Olympic sport! Just a little too PC for me.

Gregg

ilcylic
October 4, 2004, 05:25 PM
S Roper: "We're going to put all of the photographs of the black students at the back of the yearbook."

Would you still agree with the right of the yearbook staff to make "editorial decisions"?

-Ogre

txgolfer45
October 5, 2004, 01:10 AM
The school is just plain wrong. They need to go back and learn their history lessons. They obviously failed miserably.

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "High School Nixes Yearbook Photo Of Student With Gun (NH)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!