The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower

PDA

Wolfy
September 25, 2004, 05:20 AM
Finally the last book in the tale of Roland and his katet. I read the first book "The Gunslinger" back in 1983. The latest book was released on 9/21 and so far it is living up to its expectations.

The reason for this post is because of a reference Stephen King makes in this book to Molon Labe.

The reference is on page 85:

"At Piper school Jake had learned about the Battle of Thermopylae, where the Greeks had held off a Persian army that had outnumbered them ten to one. The Greeks had drawn the Persians into a narrow mountain pass; he had this kitchen door."

I won't say any more about the story because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I was happy to see a reference to this tale in pop culture and wanted to point it out.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
misANTHrope
September 25, 2004, 08:23 AM
Time to head to the library... it's hard to believe the series will be over...

ScorpioVI
September 30, 2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that little nugget in there. Awesome!

I finished the book a few days ago. Good story but I don't think it's my favorite in the series. BTW, when you get to the part where SK tells you to stop, and only continue if you really want to, consider it.

I stopped for about 2 hours but like a crack addict itching for another hit, I had to go back in there and finish it up. I won't tell you what happens but I was sorta disappointed.

Damn you Stephen King for forcing us to make a choice! :cuss: :D

Wolfy
September 30, 2004, 05:25 PM
Scorpio I have not gotten that far I am reading this book at a slower pace than normal. I think subconciously it is almost like sipping a fine wine rather gulping it.
Now that I know about the decision I can already say that I will push on because that is human nature after all.

My least favorite part of the story was when Roland had the run in with the lobstrocities and the outcome I was so mad I almost didn't pick up the next book. Come to think of it I read that story 20 years ago and I am still angry about it.

Beren
October 7, 2004, 11:06 AM
Personally, I loved the ending. I noticed they used the same "stop here because you may not like what happens next" twist in Black House, another book I greatly enjoyed. It was perhaps better written than Dark Tower. But then, I'd always enjoyed The Talisman.

I simply wish they'd tied it into the Tower series a little more closely.

ScorpioVI
October 7, 2004, 05:00 PM
Talisman was good too! Rumor has it that Straub and King are working on a Jack Sawyer book.

Wolfy,

I thought it was refreshing that the "Hero" could actually get hurt, made it more believable.

Beren
October 7, 2004, 11:20 PM
umor has it that Straub and King are working on a Jack Sawyer book.

A third one, or are you talking about Black House?

ScorpioVI
October 8, 2004, 02:24 PM
Yea, a third one. Sorry, I meant "another Jack Sawyer book".

Tag
October 8, 2004, 07:57 PM
have you read 'Gates of Fire' by Pressfield?

an awsome story of the greeks at the hot gates.

nhhillbilly
October 9, 2004, 02:35 AM
I just picked up a copy today to read. I understand it is great. Looking forward to reading it.

Tag
October 9, 2004, 02:40 AM
I've read it several times, I think you'll be impressed.

enjoy :D

If you enjoyed reading about "The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!