Archive forum?

PDA

d2500ram
September 25, 2004, 12:25 PM
Newby here.
Before I post technical questions, there may be previous ones that most likely have the same inquiries that have been asked and answered already, I was looking for an "archive" forum to do reading and re- searching before jumping in. I did not see an archive section. Is there a best way to search past topics on a specific subject?
Thanks- Looking forward to using this site. -fjk

If you enjoyed reading about "Archive forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
September 25, 2004, 12:34 PM
Welcome to THR!

Nope, there's no archive forum. But, we don't throw anything away here with the exception of trolling and junk threads. So you will need to search in a forum for any threads concerning the subject you are interested in. Use specific keywords and you will usually find info on the subject.

On the search page you can search all forums or you can narrow it down to a single forum. Often it is helpful to select a family of forums. For example, if you have a handgun question, you would select "Tools and Technologies" instead of an individual forum. In that way, you wouldn't waste time looking at threads from General Discussion, etc., but you would still be searching in all 3 handgun forums at the same time (along with the other forums in that grouping).

HTH

d2500ram
September 25, 2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. What is proper protocal as to an already similar topic posted of which I want to lean? e.g. I performed a search on "boresighting kits" but the closest topic to this was a short discussion some time ago on just "boresighting." Would you recommend reviving an older, similar topic and carry on or start a new thread? I ask because I belong to a certain diesel truck BBS whose format is similar to this one. As new members come aboard there they ask so many basic questions that a simple search generally does the trick even as the query might only relate to a similar albeit, not exact topic. The last thing I want to do is clutter a forum with useless drabble.

I am glad to see that you folks here do not have a "political" forum (at least not insofar as I have seen while lurking.) Although I'm sure there would be some intersting debates of which to be had. Your "roundtable" looks like an "other than weapons" area that might prove interesting.

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to being aboard. -fjk.

Mal H
September 25, 2004, 01:18 PM
Second paragraph first. We do have a political forum, but it is limited (as much as is humanly possible) to topics concerning the RKBA and civil rights. The Roundtable forum does allow political discussion of a much wider variety.

As for your question about topics and searches. We don't get all hot and bothered when a new thread is started on a topic that has been discussed before as long as you have made an honest effort to do a good search and don't find an answer to your question. IOW, don't hesitate to start a new thread if you can't find the answer in an existing thread. If someone else recognizes that the topic has been covered in detail (even though your search didn't find it) they will usually point you to the thread; it might even be on a different site.

BTW, if you haven't discovered it yet, you should also go register at The Firingline (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/). That site has even more information of the type you are interested in. It was the forerunner of this site and has posts and threads created by leaders of the industry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Archive forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!