Sven's Carbine (To shoot or not to shoot)

PDA

Yohan
February 23, 2003, 12:15 AM
Now with voting ;-)
and an embarassing typo which I can't seem to fix :-p

If you enjoyed reading about "Sven's Carbine (To shoot or not to shoot)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgun_symphony
February 23, 2003, 12:21 AM
guns were meant to be used.

Clean it after a day at the range and it will last longer than you will.

3 gun
February 23, 2003, 12:26 AM
Given the rarity of an original Winchester M1 carbine and the ease of finding a non collectable rifle, Don't shoot it.

10-Ring
February 23, 2003, 12:27 AM
Looks like this POLL is a little late...Sven has already shot it :what: :D

CZ-75
February 23, 2003, 12:56 AM
I'd shoot it.

BTW, it's "buy" not "bye."

Oh, I see you know you committed a homonym.

Sven
February 23, 2003, 02:08 AM
Folks - the gun has been shot before. Ed Silva's testing showed that the barrel had very light wear - test firing, perhaps sighting in, etc.

Let me say one thing about this: The taste I had of history in firing the weapon today (as well as cleaning it with CLP) increase the value of the weapon TO ME greatly, as I know now it is accurate and, moreover, believe it could work reliably in a far-flung self-defense / survival scenario.

Click on the picture for other pictures from the firing:

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/_m1_2shots_25yds.jpg (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=130321#post130167)

If my usage of the gun today shaved $100-250 off the value of the weapon in 20 years (still at, say, 97%), then I don't mind - I'm still up, right?

And, regarding the preservation of history angle, at this rate, 6 more generations of future owners with similar mindsets could enjoy this weapon, easily. If they could be trusted not to shoot it.

The folks I spoke with today actually convinced me that saving the 1943 headstamped Lake City loads is even more important than keeping the gun completely unfired. This ammo will be left alone... I should drop it into an ammo can with some dessicant and forget about it.

Below is a link to a digital movie (3.6 Megs - large download) of the firing, filmed by John Paul "Fitz" Jones.

Please be patient with the download - we throttle our bandwidth on this server - you may want to 'pause' playback until it has been completely downloaded, then play it:

www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/m1_mix3.AVI

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/2003_02_22/m1_cycling.jpg

Schuey2002
February 23, 2003, 02:23 AM
^^^^^^^^....he shot it.:D :what:

dude
February 23, 2003, 02:37 AM
he should keep on shooting it and enjoy

Sven
February 23, 2003, 02:59 AM
Dude!

Pendragon
February 23, 2003, 03:14 AM
Personally,

I would shoot the gun.

If I inherited some ungodly rare bottle of wine that everyone told me to keep, I would have a party and open it (well, these days, I would put it on ebay - but you get the point).

Save the rare ammo - definately.

You only live once.

Marko Kloos
February 23, 2003, 10:48 AM
It's a gun...it's meant to be shot. Not shooting it for the sake of collectibility may make fiscal sense, but it goes against natural law. It's like having a perfectly preserved '65 Mustang or split-window Corvette in the garage, and never driving it.

If you're looking for investments, buy some gold. Use a tool for what it's made for...any loss in monetary value will be more than offset by the fun you'll have while you use such a fine piece of machinery.

Blackhawk
February 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
Now it's just another used M1 carbine.... :(

riverdog
February 23, 2003, 11:37 AM
Sven knows how much it's been fired, how it's been maintained and that it still has all of its orignal parts. That's hardly just another used M1 carbine.

Blackhawk
February 23, 2003, 11:43 AM
It's no longer a NEW M1 carbine, and the SINGLE other descriptive choice is....? :rolleyes:

Redlg155
February 23, 2003, 11:52 AM
I don't run a museum, so I'd definitely shoot it if it were my rifle. Either that or loan it to a museum. I just think rifles with history should be shot or displayed and not hidden away. Loaning it to a museum might even increase the value! :D

I still remember going to the Phillips 66 museum (I'm not sure if it had another official name, but that is what I remember) in Oklahoma and seeing some beautiful historic weapons on display. The number of weapons they have in there is just astounding as well as having a bit of historical documentation for most of the weapons. I've never seen so many original weapons as well as prototypes on display in one place before.

Good SHooting
RED

Sven
February 23, 2003, 03:53 PM
It wasn't NEW when I got it. The bolt showed use marks, etc. Sorry if I misrepresented or failed to state that.

Autolite
February 23, 2003, 08:19 PM
and I think it's just a personal choise thing. I mothballed one of my rifles this week because the collectibility value is creeping up steadily. I've got a pistol that I'm going to permanently store also because of the rarity. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. It's just a personal preference. I have other guns very similar to the 'collectables', so I shoot them ...

cratz2
February 23, 2003, 08:25 PM
I voted to shoot it a few rounds. I wouldn't abuse it or use it as a truck gun or anything, but if it's been shot, a couple hundred rounds a year isn't going to decrease its value too much.

cracked butt
February 23, 2003, 09:19 PM
I voted to shoot it a few rounds. I wouldn't abuse it or use it as a truck gun or anything, but if it's been shot, a couple hundred rounds a year isn't going to decrease its value too much.

You wrote exactly what I was going to write.

I've said it before and said it again for those who think he ruined his virgin carbine- if it was made for the military it had to have been fired before at least to proof test it. No such thing as an unfired military weapon- even an unissued rifle would have to be tested to be safe and ready to use if it were ever called upon to be issued.

pbman
February 23, 2003, 09:42 PM
The folks I spoke with today actually convinced me that saving the 1943 headstamped Lake City loads is even more important than keeping the gun completely unfired. This ammo will be left alone... I should drop it into an ammo can with some dessicant and forget about it.

Is all old m-1 ammo rare or just the lake city loads, and how do you tell.

I ask becasue my dad still has several loaded clip of 43 ammo.

He used to a have a few thuosand rounds, but me and my brothers shot most of it up in the 70's. I remember that they were gray and stamped 43.

Kahr carrier
February 23, 2003, 09:50 PM
Heck Im glad he shot it ,you might as well enjoy it. You only live once.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Sven's Carbine (To shoot or not to shoot)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!