Gunshop Addicts

PDA

Yohan
December 29, 2002, 11:21 PM
I'll admit it! I'm a gun shop addict. I routinely stop by the gun shop and browse around although I know I can't buy anything (will have to wait 5 more years to buy hand guns legally), but I don't see any harm in looking around. At least I'll be well informed when I am old enough to start stock piling them legally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshop Addicts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
December 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
How to tell you're a gun shop addict:
When you walk in, everyone turns towards you and yells "Norm!"
You know the history of 90% of the guns taken on trade because you were there when they were traded.

10-Ring
December 29, 2002, 11:45 PM
How to tell you're a gun shop addict: When you walk in, everyone turns towards you and yells "Norm!"
You know the history of 90% of the guns taken on trade because you were there when they were traded.

:D ...and your point is? :rolleyes: How about if you got a Christmas card from 2 of your favorite shops?

Wakal
December 29, 2002, 11:47 PM
The local gun shops have your number on speed-dial as a consultant.

You are hanging around the local gun shop on Christmas Eve, minding your own business (and selling rifles for the owner), and the owner sends a customer who is looking for an oddball part down to 'your' end of the counter because he doesn't have that part in stock.

And you happen to have one in your truck's toolbox.

Alex

Schuey2002
December 29, 2002, 11:53 PM
You know that your an addict when you walk in and the dealer lets you wonder around behind the counter.

Or when you look at the person behind the counter and say something like,"Hey,where all the XYZ brand handguns that were here yesterday? Did you sell them?!" :D :D

G-Raptor
December 30, 2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Schuey2002
You know that your an addict when you walk in and the dealer lets you wonder around behind the counter.

Bingo!! :D

10-Ring
December 30, 2002, 12:54 AM
LOL :D This thread is just the funniest I've seen in a very long time! ...kinda hits too close to home tho :(

Yohan
December 30, 2002, 01:02 AM
You walk in and the owner let's you watch the store while he goes off to watch the game.

Preacherman
December 30, 2002, 01:03 AM
I second that, 10-ring... of all the incidents/events described here, most of them have happened to me! It's still funny when my dealer invites me to wander around behind the counter and look around. Now and again, a customer will walk in while I'm doing that. Many of them know me, and we greet each other cheerily, but sometimes a stranger comes in, sees a priest (wearing clergy collar) behind the handgun counter, fondling a Glock or something, and does the most wonderful double-take you've ever seen! :D

sm
December 30, 2002, 01:08 AM
When you get a phone call on your day off and the gunshop owner says, "Hey, we're outta coffee, pick up some & donuts on your way here".

"Hey, I forgot to open that safe", and you open it for him.

When the gunowner says he has already filled out the paper work, including your CHL "just sign and pay"

Politically Incorrect
December 30, 2002, 01:08 AM
"Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name."

How about a show like Cheers set inside a gun shop?

Just think Cliff Clavin, the postal worker, with his hands on an AK!
:p

sm
December 30, 2002, 01:16 AM
But OUR Sam is a whole bunch smarter, and more witty than the one Norm had;)

Don't think you'd hear "gonna buy a round for everyone"

PATH
December 30, 2002, 02:40 AM
You spend your time there even when you are off the clock. Where else can you have so much fun.

John Galt
December 30, 2002, 04:32 AM
I tore out the yellow pages & visited every one within 30 miles. Didn't find a single one that seemed to want customers though. It should be much better when I move to the country.

berettaman
December 30, 2002, 06:44 AM
...when you don't show up for two weeks and they send you a get well soon card.

ruger357
December 30, 2002, 07:48 AM
I got a Christmas card from my gunshop owner.:D

Ledbetter
December 30, 2002, 03:26 PM
The owner introduces you to his dog, who licks your hand.

December 30, 2002, 04:06 PM
When you walk in, everyone turns towards you and yells "Norm!" Check, although not Norm.
You know the history of 90% of the guns taken on trade because you were there when they were traded. Check
The local gun shops have your number on speed-dial as a consultant. Check, although I don't know about speed dial.
the dealer lets you wonder around behind the counter Check
The owner introduces you to his dog, who licks your hand. Check, not only have I been introduced to the dogs, but when I come in, he lets both dogs in so they can see me.
How about when someone comes in to the shop to sell something and the dealer says, I don't want to buy it, but I know someone that probably does and calls you.

RustyHammer
December 30, 2002, 04:34 PM
Your gun shop has your cell phone, direct-dial office number, secretary's number, E-mail address all on file. Also has your home number, and knows NOT to use THAT one -- because your WIFE might answer it (He doesn't want to get you in "hot water" with her. She also knows his name and caller I.D. )

and/or ..

He has a large corner of his gun safe set aside for things "Rusty" orders!

:p :D :)

Dave Markowitz
December 30, 2002, 09:35 PM
When you enter the shop and the owner asks you where your old man is, and why he isn't with you. :D

MountainPeak
December 30, 2002, 09:50 PM
When the owner considers your personal collection backup inventory!:)

Flatfender
December 30, 2002, 11:31 PM
How to tell you're a gun shop addict is when you walk in when they're really busy and the owner stops what he's doing to wait on you. Knowing that a sale is forthcoming.:D

Roadrunner
December 31, 2002, 12:30 AM
Don't overlook your local pawn shops as well. You can find some real gems there.

Cosmoline
December 31, 2002, 01:00 AM
I must admit, they know me by name at most of the Anchorage gun shops. I browse for about a year, then buy something ;)

agony
December 31, 2002, 01:01 AM
...the first person you think of after your family to invite to your wedding is your local gunshop dealer!

TexasVet
December 31, 2002, 01:20 AM
and the nurse in ICU comes in and asks if you feel up to seeing your cousin (only family members allowed), and in walks your gun dealer. Really happened, my wife called my mother, my dealer, my sister and my in-laws. In that order.

December 31, 2002, 01:38 AM
Vet, that takes the cake. That one will be very hard to top.

Zach
December 31, 2002, 01:50 AM
I didn't come by the shop one day and the owner called to make sure I was ok. :D

Zach

Redlg155
December 31, 2002, 02:21 AM
I'm waiting anyday now for my wife to leave the grocery list at my dealer.

Good Shooting
Red

TERRY8m
December 31, 2002, 02:42 AM
When you walk in and the owner tells you not to leave, he's got a couple he wants you to figure out why they don't shoot.
When his wife quits speaking to you, cause your discount is too much.

December 31, 2002, 03:09 AM
My dealer told me one time that his wife was doing the books and mentioned to him how much they owed for sales tax collected. He couldn't believe it and ran into the other room because he thought she must have made a mistake. How could it be that much ?
She said, well it is the fault of this guy, 444.

:eek: I didn't mean to cause him all that emotional trauma by buying all that stuff. After all, all he is doing is sending them a check of my money.

piccolo
December 31, 2002, 03:39 AM
when some guy comes in looking for an obscure part and the dealer tell him he doesn't have any.

And you tell him where he's got 3 of them.

("Go in the back room, on the shelf above the bench in the 4th box, the ammo can that says AR parts on it.............."

citizen
December 31, 2002, 07:22 AM
....when you find yourself day after day after day 'til closing in the same shop, yet never recalling a conscious decision to be there;
let alone how you got there......:uhoh:

Smoke
December 31, 2002, 11:38 AM
Redlg155: I've come close to that one. My wife has called me there. The only gunshop in town is also the only hardware store. So I'm forced to look at guns even when I innocently go into the store for a bolt or other misc. item.

The wife has been known to run parts for me to keep me from taking so long. "I sent you to town for one xyz part. How come it takes two hours?" She knows......;)

cratz2
December 31, 2002, 05:22 PM
I am... I stop in almost every Monday and Wednesday. I have them on active alert for older quality bolt rifles in 257 Roberts, 25-06 and 6.5x55. I've passed on several but have bought a couple. Bad thing, is the prices are often too good to pass up. I stop in to get some accessory or pick up a gun I bought on an auction and I get a Makarov. Or a 1895CB or something almost every week.

Not to keep tooting the 257 Roberts horn, but I find it amazing that my preferred shop has not taken in a SINGLE 257 Roberts in the last two years.

Ledbetter
December 31, 2002, 06:28 PM
When you tell your gunsmith what you did to your 10/22 bolt to set the correct rim depth (.043") and he takes written notes.

Will Beararms
December 31, 2002, 06:33 PM
When you go out for a gallon of Milk on a Sunday afternoon and suddenly you black out losing all recollection of events. Then you get back home and find a Beretta Blackwing O/U in the front passenger seat next to you.

JeepDriver
December 31, 2002, 06:48 PM
When you fill out the background check paper work in bulk.

When you lunch hour is spent there.

You know what time UPS shows up with the latest shippment of handguns.

When the owner waits for you before placing orders.

sasnofear
December 31, 2002, 09:30 PM
When you wake up one day and realise you've been made honourary co-owner.

blades67
December 31, 2002, 09:42 PM
I go into my favorite gunshop so often that they have passed on phone messages from my girlfriend when I came in.

hansolo
December 31, 2002, 10:35 PM
You know you're a gunshop addict when you do such a good "sell job" on the CZ 75B you(I)bought at your gunshop, the part-time sales girl tries one out on her day off and buys one! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshop Addicts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!