Decided to give 1911s one more try

PDA

boofus
September 26, 2004, 04:54 PM
I saw this nice stainless Delta Elite for sale at a gunshow for $600 out the door. Just had to have it. I hope it doesn't disappoint me like my first Rock Island 1911A1, that thing was so frustrating it made me swear off the design until I saw this one.

http://webs.tconline.net/jasonk/jignig/coltdelta.jpg
Anyone know where to find some factory Colt Delta grips? These Hogues are too fat and I can't work the controls. I hope it works ok and is fun to shoot. *crosses fingers*

If you enjoyed reading about "Decided to give 1911s one more try" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stans
September 26, 2004, 09:19 PM
Congratulations! You have a Colt Delta Elite stainless, 10mm! And for $600, I think you did well. The factory recoil spring set up was horrible. Dual springs coming in at 23 pounds compressed on a plastic guide rod. Most guide rods came apart by 500 rounds.

To get the Delta Elite up and running quickly, install a steel recoil spring guide rod, short or full length. I prefer a CP Bullets shock buffer on my Elite and I do think the 10mm benefits from the buffer. You will also need recoil springs. I found that 18 pounds was right for reduced loads (180 grain bullet at 900 to 1000 feet per second). I used a 22 pound spring for full power ammo.

You can drop the springs down 2 pounds if you install an EGW flat bottom firing pin, stick with a mainspring of 21 pounds (factory) or more. This will slow down the unlocking of the pistol and not batter the slide stop pin.

boofus
September 26, 2004, 10:53 PM
I took it apart and found that the previous owner had already ditched the factory recoil spring and guide rod and replaced it with a full length guide. The slide is very hard to pull back, so the spring could be 20lbs or more. It had a small rubber buffer on the tip of the spring guide but it fell apart. I got some buffers on order from Wilson Combat.

Can't wait to try it out. What is a good source for 10mm blasting ammo? Or will I have to start reloading?

10-Ring
September 26, 2004, 11:43 PM
Congrats & wise choice ;) YOu have to base your decision on quality info & your first sample didn't allow you that. This time around should be a better experience!
Enjoy :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Decided to give 1911s one more try" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!