Hi-Power Questions

PDA

bratch
September 26, 2004, 09:48 PM
Was thinking about looking into the BHP but don't know a lot about it so I've come to learn. What should I look for and what should I stay away from? I saw the Argentine's on SOG. Are there good surplus models or just go comercial? Thanks for any insight you can lend me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Power Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stephen A. Camp
September 26, 2004, 09:58 PM
Hello. I've not owned either an FM or an FEG so I cannot give any kind of answer based on personal long-term experience. The several I've shot over the years have worked fine. I have been shooting Browning (FN-made) Hi Powers for decades and have had good luck with them.

Best.

Wildalaska
September 26, 2004, 10:27 PM
Im a snob...spend the few extra $$$ for a Browning or an FN

WildnoseintheairAlaska

Dorrin79
September 26, 2004, 11:20 PM
I have a commercial FM that I picked up at a gun show for $300.

My experiences with it are as follows...

Fit/Finish - pretty bad. The gun is parked, but the finish is already wearing through on the sharp edges from being carried. Tool marks are everywhere- it looks pretty crude, especially as compared to a FN/Browning. The slide-frame fit has a LOT of play in it (she rattles).
Trigger - pretty good. It's lighter than the trigger in my new FN SFS, but not quite as clean-breaking.
Accuracy - extremely good, which is surprising given the poor slide-frame fit. I shot a 248/250 at my CHL test with it.
Features - it came with a nice set of pachmeyer knockoff grips - they're a little fatter than the plastic mil-spec grips, but very comfortable. Safety is small mil-spec type, which is bad for a carry piece, as it is hard to manipulate from a firing grip. Sights are simple 3-dot fixed, it shot to POA out of the box. Feed ramp is not humped - it has not had any trouble feeding various HPs.
Reliability - here's the bad - the gun has periodic, bizarre FTE's where the extractor drops the spent case part-way out of the chamber. Lightening the recoil spring to 15lbs, replacing the extractor spring reduced the frequency of these failures to about 2 in 50. Cleaning the extractor channel has it running fine for about 100 rds, then it begins failing until the channel is cleaned again. Extractor test with spent casing indicates that either it or the channel are out of spec; I have a new extractor on order so we'll see if that fixes it. It has never failed to fire or feed, at least, so if I can get this extraction problem fixed it will be 100%.

Overall, it's an alright gun, but I would have dropped the extra $150 for a FN or Browning if I had realized the troubles it was going to give me.

I'm much happier with my new FN SFS I picked up Friday - you can read a review of it
here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103341)

Good luck - my recommendation would be to find a used Browning or FN if you are trying to get into a hi-power for a dececnt price. You may be luckier than me if you get an FM - but you could also be unluckier ;)

MrAcheson
September 27, 2004, 06:35 PM
For a while CDNN had a good deal on FNs ($450) plus transfer fee and shipping. I'd try that first if I were you.

Jim4003
September 27, 2004, 08:47 PM
I have a Browning practical with the two tone slide/frame finish. My model is a 9mm with the fixed sights. Accuracy, probably one of the best compared to my other guns. Reliability, over 1000 rounds of various brands and types of ammo with no problems as of yet. Price, more than I cared to pay but I cannot complain with the gun I got. I think with Hi-Powers I think you get what you pay for most of the time. You want a real hi-power, get a Browning.

Rascal
September 28, 2004, 07:40 PM
I can't speak for the FM or FEG, as both my Hi-Powers are Brownings, but I can tell you that after thousands of rounds through them, I have never had an FTF yet. Once you put your hand on one, you will know that you want one. They feel that great in your hand, and they point incredably well.

RatFink
September 28, 2004, 08:49 PM
The CDNN HP's were down to $429, their newest catalog shows them at $450 for the matte black version both with or without the SFS system, $500 if you want what CDNN calls a "Rare Polished Version".

P95Carry
September 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
I'll echo Jim4003 ... I also have the two tone BHP Practical ... sights would be nice if ''special'' but as it is - a fine gun even tho for me too - it was quite pricey. A great pleasure to shoot. Love it.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/bhp_s.jpg

I will add ... IMO the FEG is a very good clone for the money - I find mine very good - tho the ammo thruput is hardly huge, only in the 100's. It is fun with a 30 round mag!:p

MrMurphy
September 28, 2004, 09:19 PM
The Arcus-94 is a High Power clone, you can find them on gunbroker.com, etc, and uses the High Power mags, etc. It has a squared slide, but it's also half the price of a HP. :) If you don't want to blow $600, this might be your choice.

BHPshooter
September 29, 2004, 01:08 PM
I've got both a FEG and a Browning.

I don't want to sound like a snob AT ALL, but you want a Browning or FN. To date (about 2,000 rounds) my MkIII Browning has had no problems whatsoever.

My FEG, on the other hand, has been... a challenge. I enjoy the gun vastly, don't get me wrong, but it has had plenty of problems... One of these days I ought to just write about them in a wordpad document so that I can cut-and-paste them.

Anyway, here they are:
The original FP9 slide that it came with had its firing pin retaining plate channel machined too wide, allowing the plate to be beat to death.
The original retaining plate was made from pot metal. It crumbled.
Tool marks everywhere (but only inside).
The original magazine release was so gritty it took a straight-in push from an olympic thumb-wrestler to get the mag out.
The hammer could be coaxed to follow, which means full-auto wasn't too far into the future :uhoh: .
The original hammer was cast, and fairly soft, as indicated by the pockmark made by hitting the firing pin.
RUST. I guess this really isn't totally the fault of the gun, but it irks me all the same.

That's all I can think of right now, at any rate.

Don't get me wrong, the FEG is a fun project gun. It's had only a handful of malfunctions in about 3,000 rounds, but it can't compare to the Browning.

Wes

kokapelli
September 29, 2004, 03:04 PM
I have a BHP, Arcus and a FEG.

The FEG was a pretty good shooter until the lug broke off of it's barrel!

I think the Arcus is a better clone than the FEG and has better sights too, but the BHP is better than both and is especially better at longer distances.

All three were trouble free until the lug broke on the FEG barrel!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/jnib/images/ktog/browning_hps.jpg

popeye
October 1, 2004, 10:10 AM
If you want a true idea of why knowledgeable people rave about this model get a Browning, not a copy. I've got a HP made in '76. I had a .40 I traded away. What a dope.

MK11
October 1, 2004, 01:06 PM
My Mark III is my only auto that hasn't malfunctioned yet.

P95, what are the grips on your Practical? That's a beautiful gun.

Jon Coppenbarger
October 1, 2004, 03:19 PM
I sold my pre-war P35 to a friend for his collection early this year and did not fire it but have shot all of my inglish war high powers and love my practical in 40 S&W.
They are the most feel natual handgunds I own and I can not ever remember them not firing .
I have owned a few over the years but started buying them for either my collection or self denfense about two years ago.
I get a kick out of putting the stock on and firing some of the early one's.

Nice weapons
Jon

P95Carry
October 1, 2004, 04:44 PM
P95, what are the grips on your Practical? That's a beautiful gun. MkII ...... those grips are Uncle Mikes ... #59508 .... suitable for the BHP .. they are indeed excellent grips ... best I have so far come across. I have quite large hands and these fill nicely ... great for control.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Power Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!