Back after Jeanne

PDA

oldfella
September 27, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thank goodness the power to the THR server was restored!

Get a life?

At 87 there is not much I can do but to read the good board (THR).

I hope the folks in Florida are doing well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Back after Jeanne" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SunBear
September 27, 2004, 05:42 PM
oldfella: Hey we're back. I'm in middle-TN just north of Nashville. What part of this beautiful state do you call home?

Edmond
September 27, 2004, 05:43 PM
I hope everyone in FL made out okay. Watching the news reports has been depressing.:(

oldfella
September 27, 2004, 05:48 PM
SunBear - Yes, indeed; this is a beautiful place to live. I'm South of Nashville, off I-24, just West of Manchester... come see us, you hear?

capbuster
September 27, 2004, 06:10 PM
My son moved to Ft. Myers early August.He got a real "welcome to Florida" due to the hurricanes.We flew to Tampa last Thursday and rented a car for the trip to Ft.Myers.We had round trip tickets and was scheduled to fly out from Tampa on Sunday.Needless to say,Ms.Jeanne cancelled our flight and we drove back to Alabama Sunday afternoon/Monday morning using the same rental car.Enterprize car rental will have our business from now on.Driving conditions were rough and we did not get away from it until we headed West from Valdosta,Georgia and headed home by way of Dothan,Alabama through Montgomery onto the Birmingham area. Its was GREAT to be back home!

cslinger
September 27, 2004, 06:47 PM
You two should try to make it to one of our middle TN shoots or get togethers whenever we have them.

Chris

oldfella
September 27, 2004, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a good idee, Chris, thanks for the invite.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 27, 2004, 07:11 PM
heeheehee...

I spoke with my mother's husband yesterday; they had delayed a trip to St. Pete Beach until last week because of Ivan. When I called their cell phone the lights were on, but only in their area, the telephones were out, the wind was 50 MPH or so with horizontal rain.

Mom was taking a nap.

Everybody else was peeking out of the slits in the reinforced plywood, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Glad y'all are back up as much as you are over there.

Regards,
Rabbit.

jefnvk
September 27, 2004, 07:26 PM
Is there anything else lined up to hit in the next few weeks?

Cacique500
September 27, 2004, 08:53 PM
I was serious about the need to move the server to Cheyenne Mountain...

Glad we're back up and hope everybody down there is safe!

El Tejon
September 27, 2004, 10:53 PM
It's good to see you too, old!:)

BTW, oldfella, if you have nothing to do but sit around and be crotchety:D, can you tell us some gun nut stories? The board is full of young pups that need learning up.

How about your first gun? Or, what it was like buying guns before 1968? Tell us about carrying guns openly and no one cared. Remind us of what we have lost.

SunBear
September 27, 2004, 11:19 PM
Chris: I seriously hope to get to one of the rendezvous' here soon.and put faces to some of the fine people I read here.

oldfella
September 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
Tejon - Frankly, I'm not much of a "Story Teller". As a young feller I used to go out in the fields with a friend who had a .22 rifle and do some plinking. As a kid in the '20s and as a youngster in the '30 every one (adults) did carry openly, mostly Mexican style. My father always carried a fancy .45 in a Fancy rig with grips inlayed with silver and gold; his saddle also was fancied-up with all kinds of silver buttons and stars. As a kid I always carried a knife, so did every one else. My youngest got me interested in handguns only couple of years ago. I went on a binge a bought a whole mess of 'em, but sold most. I practice most every week, weather permitting; can't seem to be able to hit the center spot, but tear the heck out of the center mass. In between it was the military (early 1942 - 1971), but that's another no-telling story.

Take care, my friend.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Evil_Ed
September 28, 2004, 05:28 PM
Alive and well in Melbourne, Florida.
I don't think we have more than 3 or 4 working traffic lights in the entire county and a lot of real estate beachside will probably be up for sale cheap real soon due to the damages done over there. Some places were looking like a demilitirized zone right after the storm but we are picking up quickly. When I toured work on Monday you could see daylight through the cieling of our training department and various other places in the front of the building. According to reports from a coworker you could have floated an inflatible raft down the hallway by the training department on Sunday due to the large volume of water collected there. We have had people working on patching stuff up for 2 days now and may have some employees in to work tomorrow afternoon in the dry areas.
On the plus side I didn't lose power for more than 5 minutes during the storm so it was a million times better than the week and a half after frances that we were without power. We ended up with some water in my sons room (wet carpet aganst the east facing wall) and in our tv room where it seeped in under the door to the backyard.

Automatix
September 28, 2004, 06:02 PM
HI all..........anyone interested in a home in S. Florida

ONE.......CHARLIE

TWO........IVAN

THREE.......FRANCES

FOUR........SALE

Nice area, pretty decent folks and the ocean really close.

????????
Automatix

oldfella
September 28, 2004, 08:09 PM
Incidentally - I predicted many Florida folks will be selling and moving to Tennessee.

The_Antibubba
September 29, 2004, 02:41 AM
Automatix,

Was the ocean THAT close two months ago?

:D

Automatix
September 29, 2004, 09:37 AM
TENNESSEE..................yup.

Some dear friends moved to Tenn. a tad over a year ago and are by and large happier then they could have ever imagined. Great land and home prices. Good neighbors (more moo-moos and such the then 2 legged talkers).

I thinks therefore I be...........hmmmm;)

Tennessee sounds and looks like it may be my next backyard........:neener: bye-bye land of many winds............(I am fantisizing for a tad at the moment).

Enjoy;
Automatix

oldfella
September 29, 2004, 09:49 AM
Yes, indeed -Tennessee is the place to go; no hurricanes, for sure - a few tornadoes here'n there, but no where near as "tornado alley". Been living here in mid Tennessee for over 23 years and have not seen any... heard about them, but that's all. Come on down, you hear?

Pete (The Oldfella)

CZ-100
September 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
Well power went off @ 10:15 pm on Sat, it is still off, they are saying Oct. 12th for all to be back on, also No phone so DSL does not work, (at work now).

We are living off generator now and staying in our travel trailer, I'M tired of camping... 10 days for Francis and who knows how long now.

But looking on the sunny side. No real major damage to our house, just some more soffett missing, Lots of damage in the neighborhood, but we were lucky

MAN... was the wind HOWLIN..., house creaking, crap hitting the house and such.

Tennesse... Already have land and a cabin up there, Really nice, but job is here in Florida.

If you enjoyed reading about "Back after Jeanne" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!