1911 accuracy ?

PDA

Carbon_15
September 28, 2004, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Springfield full size loaded and was wondering how it stacks up (accuracy wise) to the other 1911's in the $600-700 price class. I would just be using it for plinking and informal target practice, but I still want the most accuracy for the money. BTW, I know I could spend $1200-1500 and get much better accuracy, but I'm just not THAT big of a 1911 fan.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 accuracy ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
September 28, 2004, 11:44 AM
Howdy Carbon15,

That stock Springer might surprise ya...My GI Mil-Spec did, even before I installed a better bushing...and that wasn't even a fitted bushing. Just a
plain MGW Drop-In...mainly in the interest of stickin' close to ordnance specs, although the bushing brought the clearances down very close to
minimum tolerances for GI-class pistols.

A neighbor bought a Loaded Springfield about two years ago, and it'll
shoot right up there with the average stock Gold Cup/Gold Match.
FWIW, I think Springfield is currently building one of the better 1911 clones,
even with the MIM small parts issue looming large over the whole industry...but the loaded model still isn't a target pistol. As long as you don't expect target accuracy from it, you'll be happy with it.

Keep an eye peeled for extraction/ejection problems. If it happens, tweak the extractor once...If it starts again, toss it and get a good extractor. Other than that one issue, the pistol shouldn't give any problems for a long time.

Luck!

Tuner

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 accuracy ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!