Why people drive me nuts.

PDA

Ex-MA Hole
September 28, 2004, 09:28 AM
A woman that I work with, that I considerED to be sane, is like the rest of THEM.

She was a victim of a home invasion this morning. The guy came in her house and threw her against the wall. Then he threatened to break her neck. She told him that she would throw her cat (not a tiger, a cat) at him. He then told her that he would kill the cat.

He then pushed her again and the cat jumped out of her arms and latched on to the guys face, drawing blood.

He finally left and she called the police. I told her that I would take her shopping for a gun and she laughed at me and made play gun noises in the air. I swallowed my pride and asked about mace, she said that she had some, but could never use it.

***?!?!?

She said that she had lived in the same apartment for 7 years and had never had a problem before, and it was a freak thing. She said that she did not need any protection, because she had an attack cat.

Then continued to mock me for suggesting a gun.

***?!?!?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why people drive me nuts." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ACP230
September 28, 2004, 09:35 AM
Even with an alarm clock banging away right next to their heads, some people won't wake up!

jsalcedo
September 28, 2004, 09:38 AM
She sounds still has not fully comprehended the gravity of the home invasion or she is a pathological liar.

I think she is trying to get attention.

ZeroX
September 28, 2004, 10:01 AM
Like some people just need to be killed, maybe some people just need to be robbed?

aguyindallas
September 28, 2004, 10:06 AM
You can't help those that don't want to help themselves.

What a waste of brain cells.

TimRB
September 28, 2004, 10:24 AM
I'm with jsalcedo. This pegs my BS meter.

Tim

gigmike
September 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
Darwinism at work!

If she's not concerned for her own well being then I guess society shouldn't be too worried either. Kind of sad but not really.

MuzzleBlast
September 28, 2004, 10:30 AM
This person would rather continue being harmed than to harm someone else. It is weakness on her part, but there it is.
I wonder if she appologized to the goblin on behalf of her cat.
She should appologize to you for patronizing you when you were trying to help. That was rude.

P95Carry
September 28, 2004, 10:32 AM
My BS meter quivered too!:p

Bottom line anyways ... it is each and every person's OWN responsibility to empower themselves to be able to defend self.

Was this a pre-ban attack (or assault) cat I wonder. Hi-cap claws etc .. fearful weapon.:D

effengee
September 28, 2004, 10:33 AM
Yes! Chalk one more up to the politically correct assault feline!
When I need to defend myself in a life threatening situation, I simply toss my assault feline at the attacker(s) and with a flurry of fur, fangs, and clawed feet, my attack kitty tears up the face of the attacker which serves two purposes: 1) to distract the attacker(s) while I call 911 and wait for the police to arrive. and 2) The scratch marks make identification of the perp that much easier for police...

So throw away your silly hand cannons and your vulgar assault rifles and go to the local shelter and adopt a homeless kitty to train into an offensive weapon. Just toss kitty at the attacker(s) and watch him learn!

Of course, don't tell the ASPCA or PETA about your intentions or a million cat owners will try to get the "death kitty" banned from our streets.
These are cats so effective, that 99% of public places ban them from carrying. Wonder why the local Mc Donald's won't allow pets?
The assault feline is much too effective as a weapon and can't be trusted to maintain controlled carry in the hands of a competent person.

rotflmao
Sorry, I couldn't help it...

So let me see if I got this straight...
She won't own a firearm for any reason and thinks that you are a looney bin escapee for even suggesting that...
She owns mace, but won't use it even when being attacked...
She'd rather toss her family pet at an attacker who has threatened to kill said pet, than to use her own God-given talents to defend herself...
Scream, bite, scratch, kick for the genitals, diamond ring to the eye, etc?

I've never met a woman yet who couldn't nag a guy to death (sorry hunny)

I'd give up on her...
A violent criminal attacked her and she doesn't even seem phased.
Maybe she's having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...

It was a miracle he gave up after a simple cat scratch.
She should count herself truly blessed that he didn't snap the cat's neck and beat the snot out of her for tossing the cat at him.
Did she even call the cops?
Maybe the guy didn't like cats, but because nobody stopped him, he's moved to women who don't have assault pets in their arsenal...

Explain it to her like this:
"I have a fire extinguisher, but I don't go around fighting fires. I own a gun, but I don't go around fighting crime. I have these items so that when the fire or crime comes looking for me, I have the best possible tools to deal with the situation."

jim

sturmruger
September 28, 2004, 11:24 AM
My meter went off a little on this story as well, but the way some people are about their cats it makes me think this might be true. Oh and their is the fact that this story is so out there I don't know how someone could think it up!!! Unless she is really crazy.

Ex-MA Hole
September 28, 2004, 11:38 AM
It's legit. It's a woman I work with. Really. She did call the police, who sent out 2 cruisers. I'm going to keep an eye out for the police log/ newpaper to see if I can find anything to post here.

sigh...

Pebcac
September 28, 2004, 11:48 AM
I gotta go with BS on this one, too. I've known a couple of people like this who would make up ridiculous stories to get attention. The "attack cat" thing only reinforces that idea. She laughs at the gun suggestion to try to gain some kind of moral superiority to cover the lie.

Or, maybe she was just trying to bait you so she could berate you.

[/Freud]

:D

If it's not BS, she's just a moron that hopefully won't dilute the gene pool.

Pebcac
September 28, 2004, 11:53 AM
Well, I can't seem to edit thanks to a database error, so here's what I was going to add:

(Was going to be) Edited to add:

Oops. Just saw Ex-MA Hole's update. Well, I guess she's just not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Sindawe
September 28, 2004, 01:34 PM
Average house cat can really ruin one's day if the cat is intent on such. Unfortunatly, most cats don't have the sense of a 'pack' that dogs do, and so will run and hide from a much larger threat. Hmmm...I wonder if that can be addressed via breeding/genetic manipulation. Mabye make 'em bigger too.

As for your co-worker, I've also run into a couple like that in my life. Fustrating when they are your frieinds (one of mine was work related), but what can ya do? :rolleyes:

CAS700850
September 28, 2004, 01:42 PM
Add me to the BS crowd. I've been a prosecutor for 10 years, and I have never seen a victim of a violent crime able to make jokes about it that quickly. Actually, most get offended if anyone tries to make light of their situation.

Sounds like someone's seeking a little attention...

GlocksRock
September 28, 2004, 01:42 PM
LMAO @ attack cat.

Jmurman
September 28, 2004, 01:57 PM
Yeah, well...you cant tel lpeople anything. Now, when this guy comes back pissed that his face has cat holes in it....

Ex-MA Hole
September 28, 2004, 02:04 PM
when this guy comes back pissed that his face has cat holes in it....

Yup. That's my thought.

For all you that are doubting the story-

You MAY be right, but I don't think so. I know her, and she is not the "type" to make stuff like this up. Also, I asked he a lot of detailed questions (i.e. when the cops showed up what did they do, where did the look), a few different times and a few different ways, and the story NEVER changed.

I'll keep an eye on the Manchester PD log. I do not see anything online as of yet.

M

BJPARKER
September 28, 2004, 02:11 PM
She would rather be harmed than defend herself?!, OMG, please tell me this is mutation and not evolution. This runs from lack of common sense to looneytunes...or, she's talking crap.

spacemanspiff
September 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
i'm not inclined to go on the BS meter, but this womans psyche is really messed up. someone breaks into my home and i dont do anything to resist, or am unable to at least, i'm calling in sick that day, cause my bodys reactions to high stress pretty much makes me inefficient, and at the very least, physically sick.

i dont think the reality of her life being threatened has hit home. it may not, but if it does, it wont be pretty.

it sounds like this woman is on the same short boat that thinks that violent crimes are just anecdotal in nature, and warrant no worries by their victims.
i have talked with several who have said they would rather be robbed, beaten, raped and even killed before they would defend themselves, or have themselves be defended.

anyone who takes their own life so lightly should not be trusted with a ball of cotton.

borderguy
September 28, 2004, 02:35 PM
It will be only a short time before homeowners are sued by criminals for the use of attack cats.

RobW
September 28, 2004, 02:36 PM
Did the cat have "da switch"?

goon
September 28, 2004, 05:06 PM
A cat does absolutely no good against a louisville slugger. If cats were such good weapons, the police and military would be issuing them.
I much prefer my SIG or AK, or most any other gun. Hell, I would take a good shovel over a cat.
This woman is clearly a moron.

jefnvk
September 28, 2004, 05:27 PM
She said that she did not need any protection, because she had an attack cat.

Yep, people are stupid!

My cats would never stand up for me :uhoh: If people want pets as guardians, there is this animal called a dog.

TallPine
September 28, 2004, 05:36 PM
Hell, I would take a good shovel over a cat.
But have you ever had a shovel curl up in your lap and purr ...?

:p

griz
September 28, 2004, 05:44 PM
asked about mace, she said that she had some, but could never use it

Makes you wonder why she would have it then.
Easy solution, arm the cat!

XLMiguel
September 28, 2004, 06:33 PM
Is it just me or didn't Natural Selection used to work better??

Maybe she just hasn't met the right thug.:evil:

All we can really do is pray she doesn't breed:barf:

bill2
September 28, 2004, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. maybe this type of cat should be banned. After all, no decent pet owner really needs a cat like this, and it claws people at several hundred times per minute, it looks eeeevill. and if I pick it up quickly, it's now "reloaded" to kill again. So if it has more than one of the following characteristics, it should be banned:

* two ears
* one tail
* four paws
* more than 5 claws
* likes tuna fish

If we all work together, we can fight this spread of evil in our society. Write your newspaper and elected representatives ASAP!

Posted by Safe Cat owners of America.

Rawlings
September 28, 2004, 06:54 PM
it sounds like this woman is on the same short boat that thinks that violent crimes are just anecdotal in nature, and warrant no worries by their victims.

My boss is like this. We live in a suburban town of 8,000. When she asked me why I carry a knife around and I told her "Just in case," she inferred protection and replied, "What for? We have our own police force."

I can't remember what exactly I told her, but it was something along the lines of, "If I get jumped on the street, I can't pull a cop out of my pocket, now can I?"

Standing Wolf
September 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
People who are too dumb to accept responsibility for their own lives can always—well, usually—count on others to save them.

effengee
September 28, 2004, 07:17 PM
The People's Republic of Kahleefornyah has announced the following assault feline ban:
Any feline lineage from AK-47 producing countries.
Cats that lived in close proximity to the UZI mfg. plant in Israel.
Cats that lived near the H&K plant in Germany.
Cats that lived near the Colt Mfg. plant in Hartford.
Any cat that has claws longer than 6 cm measured at full extension.
Any cat with a tooth in excess of 8 cm.
All fully black cats are to be registered, and their owners will pay a $200 tax, must submit fingerprint and picture ID, and are subject to random compliance inspections.
No cats shall at any time have a tail shorter than 6 inches nor an overal body length of less than 15 inches unless registered or deemed upon inspection by the BATFE/AFD (Assault Feline Division) to be immature.
Any cats obtaining an age of 15 years shall be considered Curio and Relic and be subject to further classification.

Contact your local Law Enforcement Officials for further restrictions...

Justin
September 28, 2004, 08:47 PM
Remember back in grade school when they first started telling you that "violence never solves anything"?

Apparently some people actually believed that.

JohnKSa
September 28, 2004, 11:13 PM
Ask her what she thinks might have happened if the guy had brought a German Shepherd or a pointy stick with him.

SunBear
September 28, 2004, 11:40 PM
RobW: All attack cats, after you throw them, are pretty much 'fulll auto' so yeah, they have "da switch" :neener:

I think the problem with most people that refuse to take precautions to protect themselves is that they then would have to admit that evil exists and they are not just spectators. It would burst their bubble. It appears that this lady is even willing to push her bubble farther and say, "Well it probaably won't happen again and if it does the cat can handle it. :barf: The ability to dissociate and rationalize is amazing but that is what gets them through each day.

Mad Man
September 29, 2004, 12:11 AM
I wondered who adopted Pinky, A Very Loving Cat. (http://homepage.mac.com/whysheep/iMovieTheater6.html) Now I know.

Too bad they're not making any more episodes of Meow TV (http://www.meowtv.com/). I'm sure Annabelle (http://imdb.com/name/nm0348800/) could have used the story about using assault felines for self-protection.

Not related, but speaking of cats, check out the "Spay/Neuter Song (http://www.meowtv.com/spay.html)"

gtd
September 29, 2004, 01:18 AM
"Add me to the BS crowd. I've been a prosecutor for 10 years, and I have never seen a victim of a violent crime able to make jokes about it that quickly. Actually, most get offended if anyone tries to make light of their situation.

"Sounds like someone's seeking a little attention..."

Prosecutors don't get realistic samples. You only work with those who want to prosecute. I've been a violent crime victim more than once, and so have a number of my friends. When you live in a somewhat rough-and-tumble world those things often are not worth reporting.

The only times I've called the police are when other people were at significant risk.

I've known people like the "cat lady", so my BS meter didn't even register!

Brian Dale
September 29, 2004, 01:31 AM
Has she been charged with cruelty to an animal (putting the cat in danger) yet? Effengee mentioned the ASPCA and PETA, above.

fistful
September 29, 2004, 01:37 AM
Even with an alarm clock banging away right next to their heads, some people won't wake up Hey, it takes me an awful long time to hear my alarm clock, but I'm still a gun nut!

tony4311
September 29, 2004, 02:11 AM
The guy came in her house and threw her against the wall. Then he threatened to break her neck. She told him that she would throw her cat (not a tiger, a cat) at him. He then told her that he would kill the cat.

I wasn't thinking bs until I reread that part. So she was thrown against the wall and then took the time to pick up her cat? The guy even allowed her to pick it up?

or she had it in her hands when she was thrown against the wall and managed to hold onto it?

I dunno....

joe sixpack
September 29, 2004, 04:06 AM
Maybe an old boyfriend. You could suggest a "kat-ana"..

Seriously if it's legitimate and she is not worried about it to the point of defending herself with something real, let it go as she doesn't have the sense of a bar of soap.

cheers, js

spartacus2002
September 29, 2004, 08:28 AM
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/AttackCats.jpg

Ex-MA Hole
September 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
She already had it in her arms. I'm getting more to the story now...seems he was on her porch and she went out of her LOCKED apartment to find out what he was doing there. She had grabbed her cat for protection. The first shove was minor, the second was worse, this is when the cat lunged.

mhdishere
September 29, 2004, 12:03 PM
My wife and I are jointly owned by three cats, and I can tell you from experience that one cat in particular would be a handful if he landed on your face, he's about 18 pounds of pure muscle with very sharp claws attached. That said, I wouldn't want to count on him to protect me, cats aren't made that way.

I've known a few people who think that defending themselves, even when in deadly peril, would be "demeaning". They say it would bring them down to the level of their assailant. I don't understand this, if I'm attacked for no reason I'm on the moral high ground already. My attacker is trying to demean me, my defending myself is preventing me from being demeaned.

BluesBear
September 29, 2004, 12:27 PM
She said that she did not need any protection, That's what her father said to her mother 60 seconds before her conception.

In all seriousness, I was attacked by a very angry cat once. Lemme tell you it hurt like hell. But thankfully the attack didn't last long and the I don't think the cat felt any pain.

Hmmmmm On second thought maybe it was one of it's relatives that is responsible for my current condition. :uhoh:

effengee
September 29, 2004, 02:55 PM
She's a mental case worthy of further study...

I know this isn't a BS story because I live in close proximity to Mass. and N.H. and many people are of the same opinion...
"It's morally superior to not defend yourself from crime."

Well, I remember a line from a book called "The once and future king"

"No knight who is false can win in combat against one who is true, in a test of arms, under the eyes of God."

That doesn't mean that I'm invincible. It means that if I must enter into a fight, that it be for a good reason.
To defend yourself should be your most highest moral obligation...
To toss an innocent animal between herself and the threat is a much more vile and disgusting act.
Unless the cat toss tactic was followed by a good sharp kick to the genitals and a quick call to 911. What would she have done if the guy just killed the cat? I'd be devastated if my pet was killed by some bad guy. Then I'd take revenge on the sick demented b@stard for killing my pet!
Personally I would have opened the door with a gun in my hands, pointing safely, and asked him just what the F#@k he thought he was doing...
As a matter of fact, I've done that before when I lived up in Woodford.
15 miles from the nearest town on Rte 9 near swamps and campgrounds.
Well, I have kids, and I have guns, and when some really scroungy looking guy is wandering around in my dooryard, peeking in my car windows, I don't waste time trying to figure out if he's "safe" I just go into defense mode and stepped out onto the porch with my AK-47 pointing safely.
I asked him what part of the posted no trespassing sign he didn't understand and what business he had looking in my car.
He just stuttered something about needing some food and not wanting trouble while he backpedaled towards the road.
I told him there was a small package store at the hotel a mile up the road and that unless he wanted a lead pill in his stomach he should pay closer attention to the signs where he chooses to find something to eat, as my neighbors are even more apt to shoot first and ask questions later.
I never did call the cops about it.
Somehow I would feel inferior if I had to rely upon them.
I did call the hotel and a few neighbors to let them know to B.O.T.L. for this creep and that he might try something else...
Nobody ever heard from him again...
Nooooo, he didn't end up as raccoon fodder. Rte. 9 is well travelled and he probably hitched a ride... As far as I know...

I am so glad I live in Vermont where I can go on errands with a locked and loaded pistol concealed on my hip.

Criminals don't fear my dog or my cat.

A bite or a scratch is nothing compared to a sucking chest wound or fatal brain damage...

jim

Rupestris
September 29, 2004, 04:08 PM
I have yet to hear of anyone having to throw a dog at an attacker.

I wouldn't want to count on him to protect me, cats aren't made that way.

I agree. I got two good size cats at home. Both would hide from any comotion.

Cats just don't care enough about you.

Ever heard the expression "If you were turned into a mouse today, your dog would recognize you but your cat would eat you" ?

P95Carry
September 29, 2004, 04:35 PM
Was this whole thing a cataclysmic event? A catastophe for the victim - or perp'? Maybe a catatonic coma could have been suffered from the shock.

Have to wonder if there was a claws in the insurance contract ... de-limiting liability with feline attacks.

Paw do whichever way you look at it.:p

dustind
September 29, 2004, 04:45 PM
That's what her father said to her mother 60 seconds before her conception. Wow, he is faster than I am. :D

Eskimo Jim
September 29, 2004, 06:00 PM
Advice from my Grandfather ages ago:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Good luck to you.

-Jim

OF
September 29, 2004, 06:16 PM
Then continued to mock me for suggesting a gun.Insulting you for trying to help? Screw her.

- Gabe

DorGunR
September 29, 2004, 06:52 PM
griz - Easy solution, arm the cat!

The cat was armed, at least it drew blood which is a lot more than what it's master did.

Bainx
September 29, 2004, 08:17 PM
I'm afraid you will be seeing this persons name in the obits one day soon.
I hope not but gee, she sure is tempting fate!

Moparmike
September 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
Some people are just beyond hope.

And if someone threw a cat at me, it would be immedeatly caught and hurtled into the nearest (or farthest, for effect) wall where it would impact with great force. Lucky for her the her accoster's thinking wasn't so fluid.

The_Antibubba
September 30, 2004, 06:36 AM
Well, your co-worker sounds like a crazy cat-lady to me. Some people can't be helped.
Maybe she needs this:

notbubba
September 30, 2004, 12:52 PM
Tell her that you're happy that at least her cat is smart enough to defend itself.

And maybe someday she will be as smart as a cat.
:neener:

Don Gwinn
October 1, 2004, 12:13 AM
I'm the nicest, mildest person you'll ever meet, and my response to her making fun of my attempt to help would have been to ask her what her favorite flower was.

Then, whether she asked me or not, I'd reply that since she didn't want my help I would send that flower to her funeral rather than attend.

You can't save the ones who don't want to be saved.
:banghead:

entropy
October 1, 2004, 09:43 AM
When she's gone, take the cat out and have it declawed. Those who can, but choose not to, defend themselves are not worthy of being saved.:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Why people drive me nuts." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!