How do I get ahold of this gun?

PDA

Warren
September 29, 2004, 04:12 AM
Please take a look at this page (http://www.hmss.com/qbranch/qb0101.htm) and then let me know where I could find the gun at the very bottom..the Asp.

Anyone know any more about it than what was presented here?

I know it is super-duper spec-ops piece but certainly there are some on the civillian market.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I get ahold of this gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
September 29, 2004, 04:32 AM
I don't think the backstory isn't EXACTLY as cloak and dagger as described, but they are a custom cut down Model 39 that no doubt found some use by people that truly cared about concealment.. They can be found, but there are so many many new small pistols these days the ASP is more of a collectors item than a shooter. I've seen prices from $2k up. A S&W CS9 comes pretty close for a few dollars less.

David

WhoKnowsWho
September 29, 2004, 06:07 AM
Here you go (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976052299.htm). Only $4950

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976052299-1.jpg

I think I would rather buy
http://pictures.auctionarms.com/5372145611/Image052.jpg
for 1/10th the cost... :)

isp2605
September 29, 2004, 08:03 AM
The ASP was from the 70s. They suffered from feeding problems altho for the time they were a slick little 9mm. They're in the collectors market now.

prisoner6
September 29, 2004, 10:39 AM
I have one. Its true, its mostly a collectors piece now, any number of guns currently produced can fill the role for actual use. The Kahrs are actually smaller, and the S&W 3913 is very similar. Having said that, its a ridiculously cool little gun. The sights do take a slightly different mindset to get used to though. In person I have only seen one other actually for sale, though I have seen some online. Most of the ones you'll find have quite a bit of wear, as these were usually purchased for hard use.

shoobe01
September 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
People even make clear stocks, so it shouldn't be too hard to replicate the whole thing. I don't think good two-piece sights (like Novaks) existed, so this was radically good then, but we have better answers now.

I would tend, for a carry piece, to slick slides. The Kahr is a good choice. Else get a smith and have someone customize it. A few people do an ASP homage, I believe.

I did a very smooth, rounded out, Firestar Plus. Partly because it was cheap enough I didn't mind filing on it.

Trebor
September 29, 2004, 04:27 PM
I had a friend use an ASP in the first CCW class I taught. His family's machine shop (also licensed FFL gunsmith shop) did the actual conversion work on the Smith Model 39's for the person who was then selling the ASP pistols. This was, I believe, in the early to mid '80s. My buddy's pistol was the one his uncle, the shop owner, made for himself.

The pistol was neat. It did have numerous failures to go into battery though. I'd attribute them to a combination of the reloaded ammo he was using and the 20+ year old mag springs in the original mags.

They are out there, but they are pricery. In my opinion, there are better choices available today. The Kahr PM 9 comes to mind. My buddy with the ASP carries a PM 9.

Warren
September 29, 2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses.

That is outside of my price range and if newer guns are doing it better I'll stick with them.

Angus Podgorney
September 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
You should check out the "Devel" guns by the late Charlie Kelsey. You can check some out at Novak's site.

http://www.novaksights.com/devel.htm

Ed

Warren
September 30, 2004, 09:10 PM
Sweeeeeeet!

MrMurphy
September 30, 2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah, Charles Devel made them originally. He died a couple years ago. The S&W CS9 or Kahr P9/K9 would be a better choice now. Guttersnipe sights can still be had, and clear stocks can be too.

Jason Demond
September 30, 2004, 11:55 PM
Charles Devel was murdered.

Badger Arms
October 1, 2004, 03:30 AM
WildAlaska had one last I heard. You might want to PM him.

MrMurphy
October 1, 2004, 09:27 AM
Yes, he was. I know the location, and the officers who investigated it. But it wasn't relevant to the conversation. Devel made a lot of enemies, and a did some things of questionable legality regarding weaponry and overseas customers in the last few years of his life from what I heard, so it sucks he's gone, but...... it happened.

Jason Demond
October 1, 2004, 06:43 PM
There was a nice article about him a month or so ago, in one of the gun rags. I don't remember which one it was though. It seems like all the luck he had, was all bad. Quite sad really.

Angus Podgorney
October 1, 2004, 09:09 PM
Actually his name was Kelsey. The gun/company was Devel.

MrMurphy
October 1, 2004, 10:10 PM
My mistake.

buy guns
October 1, 2004, 10:17 PM
how does it produce such little recoil?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I get ahold of this gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!