Re: CWP Denial -- I GOT APPROVED!

PDA

USMCsilver
September 29, 2004, 04:04 PM
For those lost on the subject, visit this thread: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98612&highlight=denied

Now, to the topic at hand -- here's the letter I got in the mail today!!!

September 23,2004

USMCsilver
Bhah, blah
Camden, SC 29020

Please Refer To: RCWP-31708

Dear Mr. USMCsilver:

I am writing in response to your appeal of the denial of your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit. Your application was denied on July 8,2004 and July 30,2004 by our staff because of your criminal record.

The basis for the denial involves a significant record of traffic offenses. The threshold that the Division used was seven (7) or more traffic offenses within a ten (10) year period represented a significant record of
violations over a significant period of time.

I have direct Regulatory Services to reduce the threshold from seven (7) traffic offenses within a ten (10) year period to six (6) traffic offenses within a five (5) year period.

Based on this revised threshold, your record would reflect three (3) traffic offenses within a five (5) year period.

Therefore, I am approving issuance of your Concealed Weapons Permit.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact Lt. Paul Atenico or Captain Clifton Weir at (803) 896-7014.

Sincerely,
Robert M. Stewart
Chief

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: CWP Denial -- I GOT APPROVED!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OF
September 29, 2004, 04:08 PM
Way to go. You were such a pain the arse the guy changed the regs to get you to leave him alone. :)

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

- Gabe

erik the bold
September 29, 2004, 04:10 PM
Congadulations! Persistence pays off........

Smurfslayer
September 29, 2004, 04:16 PM
It is good to read of the State's albeit late realization that it isn't wise to
p!ss off a Marine.

Congratulations, and thank you for taking the time to stand up, and not be trampled on. You've won the battle, but alas, the war remains.

You know firsthand how tenuous this privilege holds on in SC... Do what you can to fix it.

USMCsilver
September 29, 2004, 04:22 PM
Well, it looks like I did what I determined that I ultimately wanted.

Initially, it was all about me. But, during the end, and after two months, I realized that this whole ordeal was greater than just myself and I set out to get the laws changed for all.

It seems like I accomplished that. Now, people will not be forced to endure such tyrannical stipulations when trying to obtain a CWP in SC.

While it still sucks that they have the speeding tickets holding a determinate amount of weight as to whether or not one is supposedly capeable of posessing a CWP, it seems somewhat fair. As much as I feel the need to have the whole idea abolsihed, I don't think, ultimately, that it would be worth it.

I believe I helped in getting the laws changed, and that is enough for me. Maybe, just maybe, if I get 4 or 5 tickets before my next renewal, then I'll try to get the law abolsihed. :neener:

stv
September 29, 2004, 04:34 PM
Way to go!

outfieldjack
September 29, 2004, 04:39 PM
Even 6 in 5 years is stupid..... but better then nothing! Congrats! Now when are we going to the range?

Nickotym
September 29, 2004, 04:56 PM
Congrats USMCSilver!!

Welcome back to the club.

XLMiguel
September 29, 2004, 05:04 PM
:cool: Congratulations, glad things worked out.

Now, slow down an' behave yo'self:neener:

DWS1117
September 29, 2004, 05:22 PM
Good job!

Now, watch you speed.:D

dustind
September 29, 2004, 05:57 PM
Way to go.

Zrex
September 29, 2004, 06:08 PM
We need permits to carry concealed? ;)

Congrats!

Wildalaska
September 29, 2004, 06:22 PM
We need permits to carry concealed?

:rolleyes:

Wildyoudo...idontAlaska

RRTX
September 29, 2004, 06:34 PM
Congrats :cool:

Valkman
September 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
Way to go! :D

Cacique500
September 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
Congrats Silver - glad it worked out to your benefit. I'd send the guy a Christmas card & a big thank you as well!

Standing Wolf
September 29, 2004, 07:06 PM
You were such a pain the arse the guy changed the regs to get you to leave him alone.

The nation needs Vermont-style carry.

45R
September 29, 2004, 07:11 PM
Mind coming over to CA neck of the woods and bugging the Govanator? We could use a couple of good players like yourself.

Congrats!!!!

Kamicosmos
September 29, 2004, 07:43 PM
Way to Go!! Good Job!

I would send a letter of thanks to that guy, along with a note to his boss if applicable. Also, if he's a guy up for re-election....help him out at the booth!

Blackcloud6
September 29, 2004, 07:43 PM
Congrats on winning a hard won victory and sticking to you guns, so to say. But now you have a big obligation to yourself to be responsible when driving. Don't lose all that you've gained.

kayak bum
September 29, 2004, 07:51 PM
Followed the initial thread as a lurker....Congrats and good job toughing it out.

P95Carry
September 29, 2004, 07:51 PM
Excellent news ..... your persistence has paid off.

As others have said ... you won a major battle tho the war continues. Very pleased for you.

mcooper
September 29, 2004, 07:58 PM
Good for you :) !! Persitence DOES pay off, if only more progun people would be more proactive in achieving their views this country would be a better place for gunowners.

USMCsilver
September 29, 2004, 08:43 PM
Kamicosmos --

I would send a letter of thanks to that guy, along with a note to his boss if applicable. Also, if he's a guy up for re-election....help him out at the booth!

Yeah, no kidding! I think I'm going to send him a thank you note. Kinda cheezy, maybe, but at least it shows my gratitude.

jobu07
September 29, 2004, 09:13 PM
I didn't post on your last thread, but I sure did read it. Congrats on get'r back man. You worked the system to your advantage, that's how it's done! :)

Safety First
September 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
CONGRATULATIONS: I am glad you prevailed, justice was served...

Ryder
September 29, 2004, 10:00 PM
Way to stand up for your rights! Congratulations.

Maddock
September 29, 2004, 11:55 PM
Congratulations, you fought city hall and won.

4v50 Gary
September 30, 2004, 02:25 AM
Congratulations!

ScottsGT
September 30, 2004, 06:07 AM
WooHoo!! looks like your buying lunch now!!!
Great news, for all of us in SC! Don't forget to drop Grass Roots a line. They did assist in this, didn't they? Or was is SCGO assn.?

USMCsilver
September 30, 2004, 07:36 AM
Scott, I believe it was GOSC. I actually e-mailed the president before I made this post. Grass Roots, I assume, did nothing since I am not a member nor did I contact them. Heck, they wouldn't even reply to my question about membership via e-mail... :rolleyes:

So, I gotta buy lunch now, eh? Damn! I shoulda gotten the free meal from you a while back. :evil:

Bubbles
September 30, 2004, 08:16 AM
Good news yes, but...

This is a regulation. That means once there's a change in staff in the office, they can set it back to whatever standard they choose...

Oh yeah, and SLOW DOWN! :D

foghornl
September 30, 2004, 09:07 AM
WAY TO GO, MARINE! ! ! !

p.s. stop tickling the carb (fuel injection?) with your toes while driving, OK? ? ?

Gunpacker
September 30, 2004, 05:05 PM
What gives this Chief the power to deny someone his constitutional rights or to simply change the requirements on his personal whim. Does he have some legislation that gives him this right? Or is he really a king?

carpettbaggerr
September 30, 2004, 05:05 PM
Congrats.

The new regulation is still BS though. You need to follow up with your state legislators and make it clear that a clean background check means no criminal violations. Not speeding tickets, overdue library books, or anything else.

ScottsGT
September 30, 2004, 05:30 PM
My Gosh, where does this "Chief" get his power?
What gives this Chief the power to deny someone his constitutional rights or to simply change the requirements on his personal whim. Does he have some legislation that gives him this right? Or is he really a king?

Yes. SLED is the King in South Carolina :mad:

USMCsilver
September 30, 2004, 06:12 PM
Scott, unfortunate as it may be, you are correct.

Hey y'all, guess what I got in the mail today?

Yep! It has arrived...

Thanks again to everyone for all the support.

I would probably have never persued the avenues I did if it wasn't for all your ideas, opinions, and encouragements!

I truely appreciate it!

Pebcac
September 30, 2004, 06:30 PM
Excellent!

LynnMassGuy
September 30, 2004, 06:34 PM
It's about time they made right. Congrats!:)

Al Thompson
October 26, 2004, 01:19 PM
Grass Roots did help. Took a meeeting with Governor Sanford to get the rules (spit) changed.

Waitone
October 26, 2004, 03:32 PM
I have direct Regulatory Services to reduce the threshold from seven (7) traffic offenses within a ten (10) year period to six (6) traffic offenses within a five (5) year period.

Based on this revised threshold, your record would reflect three (3) traffic offenses within a five (5) year period.

Therefore, I am approving issuance of your Concealed Weapons Permit.

Congratulations!

I still say SLED has too much authority to move the goal posts. Since you just played "Jack the Giant Killer," how 'bout cutting down on SLED's authority for your next act.

mack69
October 26, 2004, 04:03 PM
USMCsilver.... Congrats on your approval...Though the circumstances seem sketchy at best...I'm thinkin the Chief is on a power trip or something....well you got it...that's what is important, but how the PD flexed and then tooted his horn about it kinda torques me off....Oh well, I'll never see that happen to me here in Illinois....not as long as king dick and his village idiot rod are in charge.....:banghead: :cuss: mack

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: CWP Denial -- I GOT APPROVED!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!