AWB BAN get it?

PDA

beckrodgers
February 23, 2003, 12:33 PM
I hate it;but I got snookered once on believing crime bill94?, wouldn"t pppppass.After all of my talking ;trusting ;voting.And then to have some moron at a GUN show ask me very smuggly "Have you ever had to fix bayonet's"? You don"t need em any way. So the best way to keep and bear arms is to keep and bear arms.I aint waiting for the guv a mint to give me anything.I know we each have our tasks and resposibilities;but I still in stunned dibelief & shock at what I; and the rest of us have let fall on us. I still say it is so simple for us. Just say "NNNNOOO" Thank You for letting me post and thanks for typing for me Miss Beck. Bobby

If you enjoyed reading about "AWB BAN get it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benEzra
February 23, 2003, 04:01 PM
I have to say that it caught me by surprise also. My dad, who served his country in the Air Force in the early 1960s, said (naively, in retrospect) "it won't pass. This is America." I felt the same way. I was shopping around for a folding stock for my mini-14, but was being financially responsible and delayed the purchase because my wife and I were trying to get on our feet financially, and it just wasn't a priority. We were delaying getting my wife a Glock 19 for the same reason.

I remember the progression of disbelief, shock, and horror when I heard on NPR the next morning that it had passed. A feeling that in the America I knew and loved, something had terribly changed for the worse.

I read later (somewhere) that 35 or so of the House representatives who voted for the ban (which passed by one vote) were convinced by the media and the anti-gun liars that the ban was a ban on MACHINE GUNS. (If that's true, too bad we can't have the law revoked on grounds of fraud . . . )

If the ban IS lifted in 2004, the first thing I will do is go out and buy the folding stock for my mini that I've been denied for a decade.

bE

Blackhawk
February 23, 2003, 04:59 PM
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance, or something like that....

Hkmp5sd
February 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
There was a lot of warning that the AW ban was coming. Back in the mid-80s, some politicians in California came up the with the idea and sent out requests to all of the LEO agencies in the state asking for statistics on the number of instances these guns were used in crimes. When the data came back, there were virtually no instances of so-called semi- AW's being used in crimes.

Then a moron called Patrick Purdy walked into a school yard in Stockton, California and killed five students using an semiautomatic AK-47.

Next, out pops San Jose Police Chief Joseph McNamara, a true politician and wanna-be "Tom Clancy" type author, who starts hitting the airwaves saying civilians should not be allowed to own military type rifles.

Of course, this made him the instant poster child for HCI. He even ordered his officers, many against their will, to appear in staged protests, political speechs and photo ops while ON duty.

Finally, Bush the First, in an effort to suck up to the gun control crowd, ordered ATF to re-interpret the definition of "sporting firearms", which resulted in the 1989 importation restrictions.

Bush thought that with no other options available, the gun rights activists would still have to vote for him, so alienating them wouldn't hurt his re-election campaign. He thought he might then be able to take some of HCI's voters from the democrats.

With a decision that ranked up there with Coca-cola's "New Coke," he totally buried himself. The NRA did NOT endorse him for re-election for president. Many gun owners didn't bother to vote.

As a result, we got Slick Willie, the '94 AW ban, Monica Lewinski and senator Hillary.

beckrodgers
February 23, 2003, 09:33 PM
I agree with the history. I go back to another question, Who signed the batfarts into law , so called war on drugs & now war on terror? Seriously ,who was in office ? Who did the 68 gun control laws /?

standingbear
February 23, 2003, 09:46 PM
the 94 aw ban is a bunch of garbage-truly not a aw(anyone know what a true "assault" gun is) ban but a cosmetic ban,written by people who have seen far too many rambo movies(and believed every bit too)dont put anything past the antis,they will do absolutly anything to remove each and every gun.believe it.theres big bucks in it and political pressure.if you dont bother voting cause you dont think itll not make any difference,start voting.if we all just sit around thinking naw it wont happen cause its america,guess again.get on top of legislation and voice your opinion before it becomes law.vote.too bad slick willy wasnt impeached and removed from office as he should have been.his behavior was a disgrace.too bad the aw ban he signed didnt go with him.:cuss: :fire:

Hkmp5sd
February 24, 2003, 06:11 PM
The '68 GCA came about as a result of the killing of John Kennedy in 1963 followed by the killing of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King in 1968. Combine this with the anti-war and hippie movements and out popped the '68 GCA.

The 1986 machinegun ban was simply a law that HCI and the other gun control groups managed to push through. It was signed by Ronald Reagan. It appears to be just the first step in the overal scheme of gun bans because no sooner had the ink dried before the anti's were starting to work on a ban on "Semi-automatic Assault Weapons."

standingbear
February 24, 2003, 06:28 PM
an i bet my varmit rifle will be reclassified as a sniper rifle.anyone wanna place a bet that the antis arent already working on it?ill say this for them though,they know how to scare people into believing anything,even lies.

MessedUpMike
February 24, 2003, 08:11 PM
There are those who will also tell you that the '68 ban also had to do largely with the ensuing riots that followed Dr. Kings death. The idea was it became impossible to lock down large areas like Wash DC, NYC etc. in the event of civil unrest when it was possible to procure so many firearms across state lines. As somebody who works in DC I can tel you how well that worked out:mad: . The '86 bill on it "up side" also contains the law for interstate travel that allows you to pass through, say Wash DC, with you handgun in tow, if you where traveling from Md. to Va. and it's all perfectly legal. Explaining it to the idiot cop who pulls you over is another problem all together, but it does give us some sort of vague legal protection. Here's on for the dinosaurs; Explain the whole NFA thing.

ctdonath
February 24, 2003, 10:17 PM
The whole NFA thing came from the golden age of gangsters. When high-class high-power gangs (Al Capone et al) started terrorizing the cities (thanks to newspaper help) with more firepower than the cops, Something Had To Be Done. Machineguns, silencers, and disguised guns were seen as favored weapons of the corrupt, and thus should be banned (as opposed to, say, actually going after the criminals).

The problem was how to ban them because (gasp) the 2nd Amendment forbade any such ban (at least, back in the days when the Constitution meant something to people). After fiddling with various approaches, it was decided that regulating the "bad weapons" industry by means of ownership registration and transfer taxes would pass Constitutional muster. To make the "mere" taxation of business into a ban, the tax was fixed at the then-outrageous cost of $200 per transfer ($5 for the catch-all Any Other Weapon category).

If you enjoyed reading about "AWB BAN get it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!