ammo in a car??whens too hot

PDA

phantomak47
September 29, 2004, 11:29 PM
I am currently living in the south and I travel quite a bit from Alabama to Georgia, and I always carry my sig 226 with me. I live up North when I am not in school in Alabama and the other day I was thinking about how hot a car can get durring the summer here, and while its not as hot as it was a few months ago, do I have to worry about my ammo being in a hot car?

I dont leave my gun in the car for long periods of time and its not a car gun, but what does everyone do out there with relation of guns in hot cars? sometimes I cant carry . thanks everyone

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo in a car??whens too hot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phantom Warrior
September 29, 2004, 11:47 PM
This came up in a thread a while back and, as I recall, the cook off temperature off ammunition is somewhere around several hundred degrees. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Someone else want to chime in on this?

GOT
September 29, 2004, 11:47 PM
Get a load of this little experience...

I was going up a canyon (going east, leaving Salt Lake City on I-15) with one of my co-workers once.

About half way to the summit we started hearing what we thought were backfires from his car. It was intermittent and unexplained. Then I noticed that every time his car "backfired" there would be this THUMP sound coming from the back seat.

So I turned and watched that backseat for several minutes and started seeing those little "THUMPS"! I kept mentioning what I was seeing and he shrugged it off. Then I smelled gunpowder and mildly freaked out!

He FINALLY pulled off the freeway and opened the trunk and there was a melted plastic container sitting there full of .22lr ammo and several spent shells and bullets laying allover his trunk (some where stuck in the back seat!!!). The container was directly over the exhaust pipe.

:uhoh:

Lennyjoe
September 30, 2004, 12:49 AM
Hot? What do you all know about hot?

Down here in Hell, I have had everything from 9MM to 7.62 sitting in the back of the truck for days during August and no rounds have cooked off.

If it doesnt happen in Arizona in August folks, it aint gonna happen;)

September 30, 2004, 12:53 AM
I live not far from Death Valley.
I have had ammo in the tool box of my truck as well as the glove compartment for years on end. Never had a problem.

phantomak47
September 30, 2004, 12:55 AM
thanks for the help!

joe sixpack
September 30, 2004, 04:10 AM
He FINALLY pulled off the freeway and opened the trunk and there was a melted plastic container sitting there full of .22lr ammo and several spent shells and bullets laying allover his trunk (some where stuck in the back seat!!!). The container was directly over the exhaust pipe.

Wow, what a story!

cheers, js

Ukraine Train
September 30, 2004, 01:43 PM
The only concern I can think of is if you have lacquer coated ammo the lacquer may melt and run off, though I don't know what its melting point is, if it even melts to begin with. That was a lot of help, eh? lol

SLCDave
September 30, 2004, 01:51 PM
GOT, there's no way that could have happened! You aren't telling the truth!

(I-15 runs North/South. You were probably on I-80);)

September 30, 2004, 01:54 PM
A friend of mine and I took a fired Wolf .223 case that was coated with lacquer out to his garage and fired up his cutting torch. As we heated the case we used a screwdriver to try to scrape lacquer from the case. We were never able to get the lacquer to melt, and we heated the case until it was cherry red.

Erich
September 30, 2004, 01:55 PM
Lennyjoe and 444 said what I would have said. Having visited their lovely areas in high summer, whoooie, I wouldn't worry about ammo in AL!

Whole Hog
September 30, 2004, 02:25 PM
We know a little about hot in New Mexico too. I'm not worried about ammo cooking off, but what about degradation? Anybody know what effects long term exposure to heat has on ammunition? In my experience, a year or so in the truck doesn't seem to make much difference in how it feels or sounds, or where it hits.

Scott

GOT
October 1, 2004, 02:42 AM
SLCDave, D'OH!!! My bad... and I live in the I-80 state, Nebraska... hah hah. Its been a long time since I've been in SLC, I guess you can tell.

bdhawk
October 1, 2004, 06:16 PM
i have a rule of thumb for ammo. it may be a bit overkill....but here it is:
if it is too hot or cold for me to be reasonably comfortable, then it is too hot or cold for my ammo.

Sactown
October 1, 2004, 08:14 PM
i've left ammo in my car in 100+ temperatures without anything happening. I fgiure it's a lot hotter in the car. It is a good way to get the cosmoline off of old milsurp rifles, just make sure you don't get any on your upholstery.

nitesite
October 1, 2004, 08:54 PM
When I was younger and more stupid than I am now, I talked my equally-stupid neighborhood pal into stealing some 30-06 cartridges from his dads stash. I was doing my weekly chore of burning the weekly trash out back.

So when the fire burned down and there was just a foot-high mound of white-hot coals we dropped a few in the center. We ran like hell and watched/listened from about 100' away. BLAM..... BLAM.....BLAMBLAM!!!

What we raked out of the ashes were burst and splintered cases that looked like pieces of a burst balloon. And the bullets were laying intact about six inches away, still wrapped in the case neck. What it taught me was that a cartridge that is not fully encased (except for one exit path for the bullet) will simply burst outward in every direction and not 'zing' a bullet like being shot through a firearm.

Don't know about .22LRs giving similar results, because they are not crimped at the case neck in a similar manner. Maybe I'll have to re-create the conditions when my wife isn't watching. :uhoh:

The catalytic converter is ahead of the muffler/tailpipe, usually under the front seat. And that's the really hot spot. You can pour water on a tailpipe and it won't even create steam.:rolleyes:

GOT
October 1, 2004, 11:11 PM
Don't know about .22LRs giving similar results, because they are not crimped at the case neck in a similar manner. Maybe I'll have to re-create the conditions when my wife isn't watching.

Yeah, interesting comparison to what you did. If I remember correctly all the .22lr cases were not split. I just remember there were empty brass all over and bullets too and some were stuck in the back of the seat.

The catalytic converter is ahead of the muffler/tailpipe, usually under the front seat. And that's the really hot spot. You can pour water on a tailpipe and it won't even create steam.

All I know is that the tail pipe was directly under the the area of the trunk where that melted container was. It was a 4 door Chrysler K car (about 1984 model).

Have you ever grabbed the tail pipe after you've driven a while... and or after you driven up a steep canyon road? Last time I grabbed a tail pipe after driving, the thing was HOT. But I'm going to run out into the garage when my wife comes home and check it, because now you got me wondering... hah hah:p

Newton
October 1, 2004, 11:17 PM
Storing it red hot is safe, but your results when shooting it may vary wildly from the same ammo at room temperature.

Mike H

If you enjoyed reading about "ammo in a car??whens too hot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!