How come the recent topics are displayed the way they are?
For example. On other forums, if I click Recent topics, I get a list of all the active threads but they are never repeated.
If I see a thread started by X that pertains to Y then why do I see Y post again because Z posted in it?
1. How come I can't delete my replies,
2. Or qoute somebody by clicking next to that "edit" button
3. No avatars?
If you enjoyed reading about "recent topics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
September 30, 2004, 06:49 PM
I'll give it a try, Brick.
"Recent Topics" - you got me there. What are you looking at when you see Recent Topics? Is it a button or a menu selection? I'm not familiar with that.
1) We don't allow members to delete their own posts since deleting the first post in a thread will delete the entire thread. A quirk in vBulletin that we must live with. Since we don't want to let a member delete a thread with any number of responses, we have set the delete post option so that only moderators can fully delete posts. Any member can effectively delete one of their posts by replacing all text with a single character such as a period. That is done frequently.
2) The "Reply With Quote" feature is often overused and misused. We see an entire post of several paragraphs quoted followed by a single word response. Often, that quoted material is from the post immediately above it. That is very annoying to most. Therefore we have disabled the "feechur".
3) Avatars? Nope. They're not necessary and take up valuable resources.
October 1, 2004, 02:56 AM
2. :o not me (I know what you'll say...they do...skip it)
3. uhh...ok...but again this is a big forum...one of the biggest i've been to. :scrutiny:
recent topics: :o lost ya?
ok i click recent topics.
then i see a list of a whole bunch of posts. ie. i see post a,b,c,d...
then on page X for example i see post a, b, and d because another member posted in it. i always get about one or two "active topics" pages on other forums, including TAC. but this one i see 15 pages because it appears that the listing is screwed up
becuase more members posted in that active thread so then it has to be listed again :rolleyes: :o
sorry for the lousy writing i just don't feel like writing "properly" today.:uhoh:
October 1, 2004, 04:01 PM
ok i click recent topics
I'll try is with an "in other words". Where do you see the term "Recent Topics"?
first study the first page, then move on until you've seen all of them.
tell me how many were repeated.:banghead:
October 2, 2004, 12:36 AM
It's obvious that you still don't understand what my question was. Do you actually see a button anywhere called "Recent Topics"?
However, I suspected, but wasn't sure, that you might be talking about the button called "View New Posts". Your info above confirms it.
tell me how many were repeated
I saw 19 new posts when I looked and none were repeated. If you are seeing repeated posts in the list, then I understand your frustration. I've never seen that happen. I'll have to defer to our gurus to see if they have a clue what might be happening.
October 2, 2004, 01:14 AM
I think he's clicking on a user name field to see threads a user has contributed to recently. The wording is a little vague....
AFAIK the getnew function is still working great. It's pretty much all I use on the board.
October 2, 2004, 06:33 PM
ok .... what link do you gentlemen use? http://thearmedcitizen.net/forums/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://thearmedcitizen.net/forums/images/smilies/Worried.gif
October 7, 2004, 01:22 AM
October 7, 2004, 08:24 AM
Sorry, Brick, I've given up on this one since you refused to answer (or simply ignored) my question 3 times.