American Derringer 45LC/410 ?

PDA

goon
February 23, 2003, 02:05 PM
Has anyone here ever shot one of these things? I would imagine that the recoil would be enough to make me cry. But, Sellior and Bellot makes 2.5 inch 00 Buck for at 410, and I think that it would be a very effective defense gun.
Comments?

If you enjoyed reading about "American Derringer 45LC/410 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trisha
February 23, 2003, 02:55 PM
Susan and I love ours - and several of our girlfriends own and carry them as BUG's!

They're fun to shoot, and when seen in the applications limitations of their range (contact to 10ft) no one we know who owns one would ever think of not having one in the future.

Trisha

goon
February 23, 2003, 03:05 PM
Cool. The idea of a little gun that packs that much wallop intrigues me. Have you tried regular shot loads out of yours?
It might be good to take squirrel hunting.:D

I still have others that are higher up on the wish list...
Arsenal AK,
CZ RAMI (when they come out),
Marlin Papoose,
VEPR 308 (absolutely no good reason, just want it)
And now this 410 derringer.
And I still want some more C&R's too. I am doomed to a life of firearm induced poverty.:eek:

dairycreek
February 23, 2003, 04:56 PM
was with an American Derringer chambered in 38/357. I fired exactly two rounds in it - one in 38 and the other in 357. That was enough! The recoil from the 357 ended my desire to do it again - and I never did. Sold it ASAP. I must admit that they are handsome little devils though. Good shooting;)

Coot
February 23, 2003, 06:03 PM
A friend of mine had one: I shot it once...the huge hematoma that resulted on my palm dissuaded me from taking a second shot.

You'd do better with a scandium .44 Mag, I think.

Coot
February 23, 2003, 06:08 PM
(Continued)...I have one in .38Spec which IS fun to shoot; think that's a more reasonable caliber for that type gun.

Coot

Oleg Volk
February 23, 2003, 08:06 PM
Fired it today with shotshells, earlier with 45LC. It is one of the few guns which I would consider less useful than a stick for defense.

Recoil: considerable but not terrible. Less than expected due to low muzzle velocity.

Accuracy: At five paces, point of impact is 6 INCHES above point of aim with the first barrel, using 45LC ammo. Group is about 3" across. The second barrel fires in a random direction because the bullet isn't stabilized and keyholes.

With shot, dispersion is roughly 3 FEET at 5 paces (using #6 shot). With S&B 3-pellet 00 buck load, three pellets strike in a 45 degree line from upper left to lower right, with 4.5" inches between each pellet -- at three paces. Velocity is very low but the pellets get very deformed while still in the bore.

Worse, rifling becomes impressed on the crimp part of the shell once it unfolds, so extractor cannot remove the empties and a cleaning rod or a stick has to be used for punching them out.

Loading is slow and has to be done right, else the gun fires as you close it.

Trigger is so heavy I used my weak hand to aid the trigger finger, or I couldn't fire the gun.

All in all, it ranks near the top of my "least useful" gun list.

Kahr carrier
February 24, 2003, 03:58 AM
45LC derringer ouch Ill pass.:)

goon
February 24, 2003, 06:11 AM
"It is one of the few guns which I would consider less useful than a stick for defense."

Well, when you put it that way...

LostOneToo
February 24, 2003, 08:51 AM
I have 3 of them and they are great. I prefer the .45 Long Colt round in it but the 410 buck is nice also. The recoil doesn't bother me but then I am one of those that doesn't think a 12 ga recoil is all that bad either, guess it depends on what you were raised with.:)

popeye
February 24, 2003, 09:26 AM
My S&W mod 42 weighs the same and is not much bigger than the 45/410. So I'll stick with it.

Trisha
February 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
I admit to being a little baffled with you guys' abhorence with the little derringer!

Here's my everyday minimun group!

The derringer carries silvertips in .45lc, and when I load one barrel with shotshell, it's a #7 load .410.

The shotshell works wonders when fired into an attacker's groin or face, and the .45lc round goes into his buddy's gut - great anti-carjacking/anti-rape system, yes?

Trisha

Al Thompson
February 24, 2003, 02:18 PM
Trisha, did you get a better trigger in yours? Seveal I've handled had heavy triggers.

Trisha
February 24, 2003, 02:37 PM
It started out as a fairly stiff trigger, Al, but it's clean; and we've gotten quite used to it over the years.

Wakal
February 24, 2003, 02:41 PM
I have one, and tote it around at Cowboy matches tucked into a holster built into one suspender strap. Cute little toy.

The worst shooting experiece of my life was shooting 200 rounds of my 800 fps/250 grain RNFP .45 Colt handloads through it one afternoon at the SAW range. While trying to hit 300 yard pop-up targets was an entertaining exercise in futility, that many rounds was quite annoying after about number, oh, thirty.

I really wished that I hadn't shipped my Colts the day before.

As far as a carry gun...it is almost the same size and weight as my wife's favorite Kel-Tec P40...and between the two, the P40 has the better trigger and a lot more rounds :)

Alex

If you enjoyed reading about "American Derringer 45LC/410 ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!