board identifiers for screening software

PDA

JB3rd
September 30, 2004, 11:13 PM
Mods/Staff:

What type of id info is given by this board for web screening software? Have you recently updated it?

My office utilizes "Websense" to filter online content viewed from office computers. This is done to restrict computer use to business applications during working hours, but is turned off during lunch hour and non-business hours. Up until the hurricane knocked the power off the THR server for several days last month, I could check THR at work and browse when not working, but when the boards started back after the storm, Websense began blocking me out.

Now a message is given that "message boards and clubs are filtered" and it applies at all times, not just working hours.
It's a real bummer and has really cut down on my THR time, since I would often browse during my lunch hour. I used to read the boards daily, but now can only manage 3 or 4 times a week.

can you guys help? withdrawals are setting in!

If you enjoyed reading about "board identifiers for screening software" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyme
October 1, 2004, 11:20 PM
How does websense work? Is it filtering by URL or is it reading the html content and noticing that it's a vbulletin board? Is your web browser set up to use a corporate proxy? How does it handle SSL traffic? (THR could add SSL accessiblity if SSL traffic isn't filtered). Does it only filter port 80?

If you can manage it without generating too much suspicion, you could try to get whoever runs the web filter to email you details of how the filtering works. Then post that here or PM.

tyme
October 4, 2004, 05:23 PM
You could try this. It's not quite trivial to set up, though.

http://freehaven.net/tor/doc/tor-doc.html#installing

JB3rd
October 4, 2004, 10:07 PM
I believe websense reads the html and some other identifiers. I'm not sure, though. it classifies websites per categories such as shopping, vehicles, weapons, etc.

funny thing, sportmansguide is classified as shopping and is filtered during business hours. cabelas is not filtered at all. thefiringline is always filtered and categorized as "weapons". TFL uses vBulletin too, doesn't it?

I may try your suggestion, tyme, but must be careful not to run afoul of the IT folks. though I have some leeway to personalize my computer, the company forbids installing any software without admin privileges, which I do not have.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "board identifiers for screening software" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!