Army MP shot in head, pummels shooter into submission

PDA

ZeroX
October 1, 2004, 09:13 AM
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2004/09/29/news/news01.txt

Vet shot in Dunkin' Donuts parking lot: Weymouth man gets stitches to forehead

By ROBERT SEARS
The Patriot Ledger

WEYMOUTH - An Army MP just back from a tour in Afghanistan was shot in a donut shop parking confrontation but then beat his alleged assailant into submission.

Jeremy Bailey, 24, of Weymouth, received stitches at South Shore Hospital to close a gash in his forehead left by the bullet, and was released.

‘‘He's lucky,'' Weymouth Police Capt. Brian Callahan said. ‘‘This was a dangerous, dangerous incident around 9 at night at a Dunkin' Donuts that is pretty busy.''

Police arrested Edward Green, 20, of Mattapan and charged him with attempted murder, and Nicole D. Pina, 21, of 11 McCusker Drive, Braintree, who was with him. Callahan said she assaulted several police officers.

‘‘These people were totally out of control,'' Callahan said.

Bailey, who grew up in Braintree, was an Army military police officer for five years. He returned from Afghanistan six months ago and went on inactive reserve.

Bailey went to the Dunkin' Donuts in Weymouth Landing with his 16-year-old brother, Casey Toole, of Braintree shortly before 9:30 last night and found a car with two women and a man inside blocking the parking lot entrance.

Bailey said he squeezed past the car, rolled down his window and yelled to the woman driver, ‘‘Why not just move over, honey.''

He said she yelled something back at him and backed up as though she was trying to hit his car.

Bailey said he drove to a parking space, and started walking towards the donut shop with his brother when the man who was in the other car came towards him.

‘‘I saw the guy take a pistol out of his pants about 10 feet away. I ducked and charged, and he shot me in the head,'' Bailey said.

He said he managed to punch the man, who police identified as Green, and knock him to the ground.

Bailey said he was feeling dizzy, and as he kicked the gun out of Green's hand, he saw Pina get into his car, where he had left his keys, and begin driving it away.

‘‘I jumped in the window and slammed it into park,'' he said. ‘‘She was hitting me, and I pulled her out of the car through the window.''

Bailey said that was when he saw Green coming at him with the gun again.

‘‘I punched him down to the ground, got on top of him and kept punching and trying to get the gun, and he was yelling, ‘stop,''' Bailey said.

He said Pina kicked him on the side of the head three times as he struggled, and that Green hit him on the head with the handle of the handgun.

Callahan said officers found the gun in a nearby trash barrel.

Callahan said Green kicked out a police cruiser window when he was handcuffed and put inside.

Bailey, who provided security for high ranking military and civilian officials, served two tours of duty in Kosovo, and had assignments in Albania and Serbia.

He has been working as an apprentice plumber since returning from Afghanistan, and has taken the Civil Service test with hopes of becoming a firefighter or police officer.

Wow.

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Army MP shot in head, pummels shooter into submission" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
October 1, 2004, 09:45 AM
25 ACP? 32 ACP? BB gun? Doesn't matter, what luck.:cool:

Indy7373
October 1, 2004, 09:49 AM
Tough guy. Good for him.

SunBear
October 1, 2004, 09:52 AM
There's a huge, very, very, VERY important lesson here for the goblins of the world (not that they'll read it here). In our society it is often impossible to tell the sheep from the sheepdogs.:neener: There are not only millions of former military folks out here but a growing corps of trained and armed folks who are not gonna take it! Goblins beware. We're housebroken but not de-fanged! :evil:

TallPine
October 1, 2004, 09:54 AM
He must be one heck of a plumber, too .... :D

4v50 Gary
October 1, 2004, 10:09 AM
Go Army! I see his training came in handy and I hope the miscreants spend a long time if not perpetuity behind bars for attempted murder.

It's one heckuva a rotten homecoming. You're out there protecting your country, your loved ones and your way of life and to come home to this BS.:fire: The soldier deserves credit for his self restraint and not killing those bozos.

NMshooter
October 1, 2004, 10:17 AM
I thought everybody knew you can't shoot an Army MP in the head with a pistol. Too much concrete...:neener:

Atticus
October 1, 2004, 10:17 AM
"We're housebroken but not de-fanged!"

He's a brave and tough individual ..but...it was in Taxachussetts, and he was defanged. As usual, the criminal was armed and the law abiding good guy was not.

Carlos Cabeza
October 1, 2004, 10:27 AM
I think that woman needed a few punches to the head too ! Good thing MP's are hard headed. :D My uncle Vic was an MP and he is one tough SOB.

KRAUTGUNNER
October 1, 2004, 10:36 AM
That's a REALLY tough fellow! :what:

45R
October 1, 2004, 11:06 AM
Thats one good outcome!

middy
October 1, 2004, 11:34 AM
MPs have to be tough. Just think of the people they have to police. A bunch of young, fit, and aggressive men...

Well done on his part.

Devonai
October 1, 2004, 11:40 AM
He got lucky, which is good because I can't imagine the kind of bad luck that gets you assaulted almost completely at random like that. I have no doubt that his military experience created his fighting mentality.

He's a brave and tough individual ..but...it was in Taxachussetts, and he was defanged. As usual, the criminal was armed and the law abiding good guy was not.

I also have no doubt that a guy with a background like this would have no trouble getting a pistol permit. If he was a Boston resident, maybe, but most other municipalities are more reasonable. If he was not armed, it was by choice. Massachusetts may suck but don't blame the Commonwealth unless we find out later that he applied for a permit and was rejected.

cslinger
October 1, 2004, 12:07 PM
I don't care what I am armed with. If I shoot you in the head and all it seems to do is piss you off then I am going to start thinking to myself..."Awww damnnnnn"

Good for the MP. Glad the Lord was watching over him that day. Boy does this guy win the best drinking story portion of the night when out with his buddies.

Chris

shermacman
October 1, 2004, 12:28 PM
Another important point here: even if the Good Guy were armed, it takes time to pull from your concealed carry holster. The Bad Guy already had the drop on him. The only course of action is to go to hand to hand combat. In a roll around on the ground fight you are never going to be able to pull your gun and get a clean shot off.

And, yes, in Massachusetts the CCW permit process is no where near as bad as is commonly thought.

Mikul
October 1, 2004, 12:29 PM
Bailey, who provided security for high ranking military and civilian officials, served two tours of duty in Kosovo, and had assignments in Albania and Serbia.

He has been working as an apprentice plumber since returning from Afghanistan, and has taken the Civil Service test with hopes of becoming a firefighter or police officer.

Does this remind anyone a bit of "Under Seige?" He's just a plumber sounds a lot like "I'm the cook."

wmenorr67
October 1, 2004, 12:47 PM
See what trying to be polite gets you? Bet the BG think twice about who they pick on next time.

Stinkyshoe
October 1, 2004, 01:03 PM
As great as it is that there are young tough guys that don't cower down when the heat is on, it saddens me to think that there would be someone so selfish and worthless, to try and take a mans life, a man who spend two tours in military service in harms way...over money and a car. I am glad Mr. Bailey is okay and that he beat the crap out of the guy. We need more guys like him.

Robert J McElwain
October 1, 2004, 02:27 PM
All those tours of duty, and he has to come back home to get shot.:fire:

Bob

Cosmoline
October 1, 2004, 02:32 PM
He was very, very lucky. Welcome to Kerry's gun-free utopia.

Shot in the head in Braintree. Interesting.

strambo
October 1, 2004, 02:38 PM
Good for him.

He did get lucky though and I'm not talking about the first shot. Once he had him on the ground and disarmed, but not out of commission (he only punched the guy once) he then turned his back on his primary assailant and went after the girl in the car. The primary assailant then picked up the gun and they had a "do over." Once you get a lethal threat down make sure he can't get up to stab/shoot you in the back as you deal with the other threats.

You don't necessarily have to kill them (situation dependent) but stomping and crushing into the concrete the guys knee and/or ankle as you get up and move towards the other threat would help. Also that would prevent the girl from kicking you in the head as your dealing with the first guy...again.

I don't want to seam like an armchair QB..the good guy won thats awesome! I like to learn from every situation and from others though...so I don't have to learn it the hard way myself.

OH25shooter
October 1, 2004, 02:47 PM
He is definately an "Army of One."

Keaner
October 1, 2004, 02:49 PM
Ah hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster:

Im at school in boston so I saw this story on the TV news the night. There it had pictures and an actual interview with the guy, which seems to go slightly agianst the story in this news report.

According to the TV news:

MP and brother see car blocking enterance, drive around (he said he went over a part of the curb), and says (sarcasticly) "Nice Parking spot!". The Car starts moving toward him, so he moves quickly to a spot.

A guy jumps out of the back of the car, with a gun (reportedly a 9mm). The MP runs toward the guy, and takes him down with a barrage of punches, but not before taking a graze from the 9mm. Once he finished beating the gunman into submission, our hero notices the female not-so-do-gooder running away. He chases her a short( got the impression it was like 20 feet) distance, holds her down, and waits for the police.

Both bad guys( or bad guy and girl for those who care about PC) were arrested, and our hero went briefly to the hospital where he got what looked like 10+ HUGE stitches.

That is about as much as i remember from the TV (i think the local CBS feed).

Shootcraps
October 1, 2004, 02:54 PM
Two maggots in jail and the good guy is in fine shape. Hurrah for our side!!

Evil_Ed
October 1, 2004, 04:26 PM
Tought guy... I am amazed the criminal didn't have that little voice in the back of his head go "oh, sh**" of course that's probably the same little voice that says "don't rob people" and was out to lunch right then.

Seriously, to those that are doing the after action analisys... He got shot in the head before he left bad guy 1 to go after the girl stealing the car, the concussion probably dazed him so he wasn't exactly in the most coherent frame of mind by the time he made the decision to engage BG #2.

crewchief
October 1, 2004, 04:32 PM
Right On! My Wife looks innocent and sweet, but goblins beware she is a former Army MP and she also packs a .357.;)

shermacman
October 1, 2004, 04:43 PM
Welcome Keaner!
From a fellow Mass-hole to another!
The shooting happened only a couple of miles from my house. I am glad the MP dude did not too badly hurt. I am sure that the Bad Guy had a full Class A Concealed Carry permit!:rolleyes:

Ex-MA Hole
October 1, 2004, 05:31 PM
And, yes, in Massachusetts the CCW permit process is no where near as bad as is commonly thought.

Depends on where you live...

I also have no doubt that a guy with a background like this would have no trouble getting a pistol permit.

Sorry, TOTALLY not true. This, unfortunately, has little to no bearing.

most other municipalities are more reasonable.

It depends on the city/ town. I lived there my whole life, until January of this year. I know the rules all too well.

I'm glad he came out ahead, though. Sorry for the pun.

M

WhiteKnight
October 1, 2004, 11:53 PM
a gun (reportedly a 9mm).

:what:

ZeroX
October 1, 2004, 11:56 PM
I guess we can be glad he wasn't shooting .45 ACP. :p

Edmond
October 2, 2004, 12:31 AM
I'm glad the good guy came out victorious.:D

UnknownSailor
October 2, 2004, 03:58 AM
I think SunBear is on to something. Just think about it. How many thousands of our troops have rotated through the two current hotspots? Not all of them are going to stay in. In short, we now have many thousands of troops throughout the various services who have seen the elephant. When these troops start filtering out into general socoety, watch for this type of story to become more common.
I'd hesitate to bet against a combat vet in a street fight.

RevDisk
October 2, 2004, 06:36 AM
Happened to one of my Sergeants. Wasn't shot, he disarmed the guy and beat him with his own handgun. He got in a bit of trouble over "excessive force", but eventually was cleared. Excessive force being giving the guy a whooping after disarming him. :rolleyes:

only1asterisk
October 2, 2004, 07:47 AM
I though Super Mario Bros. were butt kicking plumbers!

The skull is hard, round and fairly smooth, hardly a Zane Grey book goes buy without somebody getting creased. ;) Still, our guy is lucky.

David

Blackcloud6
October 2, 2004, 07:50 AM
‘‘He's lucky,'' Weymouth Police Capt. Brian Callahan said.

Well I think the lucky one is Ed Green. He's lucky that he didn't get beat to a pulp!

wingman
October 2, 2004, 08:24 AM
Another training point here is beware of what you say to strangers in our
new WalMart world because you just never know what you will get..;)

Shootcraps
October 2, 2004, 01:34 PM
Another training point here is beware of what you say to strangers in our
new WalMart world because you just never know what you will get..

Yeah, after this GI was done you'd hear "Clean up - Aisle 7" on the intercom. ;)

middy
October 2, 2004, 03:38 PM
I'd hesitate to bet against a combat vet in a street fight.
Reminds me of the story my goju-ryu sensei used to tell about bar-hopping with two Marines and getting mugged by a pair of guys with knives.

Sensei lost 2 fingers (but they were able to reattach them), and one of the Marines had to get about 20 stitches.

The muggers both had a long vacation in the ICU. Sensei was very suprised and relieved to find out that they had both survived. :D

gripper
October 2, 2004, 07:58 PM
I live in the Peoples's Republiuc of Ma.The laws here really ARE that bad;i'm an ex-infantryman myself,with no felony or violent misdemeanor,and I LOST my LTC when the statuory change (Ch180) occurred back in 1998(although it did not hit ME until June of 99 when I went to renew). This is because the Chiefs are allowed to "interpret" the law.Say you have 300 Chiefs of lolice as issuning authourity;now you have 300 possible different versiuons of the same law.
As far as Bailey ther goes,Good on Him!! He rocks and I hope Mr. Green from Matapan gets his @ss kicked further by anyone he tries to impress in lock up,The moral of the story is as follows..."Deny Everything,Take Nothing ,Fight Everything, and Never Quit"....kind of a nice back up to "It was'nt me, no one saw me and you can't prove a thing".:D

Benjamin
October 2, 2004, 08:09 PM
This is because the Chiefs are allowed to "interpret" the law

No, they're not. They're specifically NOT allowed to do that.

If you got railed when you're entitled to a LTC, get an attorney, file a petition for judicial review.

Goal can point you to a few attorneys in MA who do this a bunch.

Tory
October 2, 2004, 08:31 PM
"I LOST my LTC when the statuory change (Ch180) occurred back in 1998(although it did not hit ME until June of 99 when I went to renew). This is because the Chiefs are allowed to "interpret" the law.Say you have 300 Chiefs of lolice as issuning authourity;now you have 300 possible different versiuons of the same law." [misspellings in original]

No; chiefs had discretion for LTC's PRIOR to the enactment of c. 180. What DID change in '98 was that it a host of misdemeanors that were never statutory disqualifiers before (OUI being a significant one) were made so. As there was no limit on the scope of the new law's effect in this regard (such as "on and after" the effective date of c. 180), a lot of prior licensees became barred.

Moreover, there were no references to, still less any authorization of, restrictions prior to c. 180. Chiefs are now expressly authorized to fabricate and impose whatever restrictions they wish:

"...subject to such RESTRICTIONS relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such RESTRICTIONS relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper." M.G.L. c. 140, s. 131

"This is because the Chiefs are allowed to "interpret" the law
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, they're not. They're specifically NOT allowed to do that."

Really? Got a cite that "specifically" supports that assertion?

What chiefs are allowed to do is set their own standards, add superfluous conditions, and impose whatever restrictions they feel like. An applicant can challenge the BS of course; however, the burden - both evidentiary and financial - falls squarely on the applicant.

It is not the chief's job to prove the applicant is "not suitable;" it is the applicant's ludicrous burden to prove the negative: That he is NOT "not suitable."

You're both right on this point: The system sucks. :barf:

dustind
October 2, 2004, 10:05 PM
I had a friend who was a MP, so I know how thick headed they can be. Just kidding.

I hope he does not get into any legal trouble over defending himself.

shermacman
October 3, 2004, 11:20 AM
Gripper:
You are correct that each town's licensing officer has discretion over the permit process, the reality is that there is a great deal of uniformity. Join GOAL, they love this stuff!

www.goal.org

gripper
October 4, 2004, 01:52 PM
I've been a GOAL member for years.On October 31,the partial reform to CH180 kicks in;setting up an appeals board for those of us who had licensing prior to the statutory ammendment in1998.This won't "grant us a new licens",it will simply give us somewhere else to take our appeal.For the record,my case can be looked up in Dupont v,.Davis;it ranfrom 1999 (petition for juducual review,Ayer District Cout,2 appearances, to Middlesex SDuperior Court(Lowell,petition for certiori) in 2001, to the Ma. court of Appeals(2002). In each case , the court refused to consider ANYTHING but whether or not the chiefs actions(however retroactive or ex post facto were legal under the current legislative scheme,not whether or not he could apply a new legal interpretation to an old case that had been disposed of breofre the passage of 180.
Translation;GOAL is good,but theydon't(or did'nt in my case)do more than tell me a few avenues to approach.
I had to do this and pay for it all myself. The Appeals court knew I could beat them above the Ma. system;they also know that its a coin operated legal system(not a justice system),and I was out of money. What heurts,is the fact that I caught the AAG,Sysan Paulson, and the Town Counsel trying to mis-state dates,and use non-relevant case law to argue my case,and while the judges spanked them in court,they did'nt do anything but allow the status quo.Meanwhile I had to pay both MY way, and THEIR way(tax funded expenses for our 'public servants",you know).
I could have (and was setting up to) gotten out from under this stuff simply by movung to NH,butsome family medical, and other situations came upt to keep me stuck here a bit longer. WTH, I was always a stubborn SOB;let THOSE @ssholes leave the state,I wazs here first. in the meantime.....
:neener: :neener: :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Army MP shot in head, pummels shooter into submission" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!