Going to have to write AAA

PDA

crewchief
October 1, 2004, 10:01 PM
OK, you're probably wondering what AAA car club has to do with firearms but read on.

Tonight I was over at my in-laws having dinner and such which we do all the time. After dinner I was sitting down and saw the little AAA magazine they put out "Going Places" and started fliping through the pages. While flipping I land on a survey that they conducted about different car safety issues where they had questions such as "Do you wear your seatbelt when you are a backseat passanger?" and so forth. Anyways I stumble across this question and the following figures, keep in mind the survey that was given was multiple choice and not fill in the blank.

What is the number 1 cause of death for children in the United States?

54% Automobile accidents
30% Illness
9% Drowning
6% Fire
1% Firearms

1% Firearms? *** why is firearms even a choice on the survey question as the number one cause of death for children, and to top it off some people believe that!:fire: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to have to write AAA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
October 1, 2004, 11:27 PM
...why is firearms even a choice on the survey question as the number one cause of death for children...

Probably because more than a few people believe firearms are one of the leading causes of death among children. Including the actual 1% number—I believe it's actually less than that—takes a bit of wind out of the anti-Second Amendment bigots' sails.

jefnvk
October 2, 2004, 01:05 AM
Yep, media has that engraved in peoples minds. Haven;t you heard that the AWB really kept kids from carrying AK's to school.

I'm surprised that only 1% think it is the leading cause. But, drowning is 9 times more likely, so we shouild ban all swimming pools. He, its for the kids (see, I can spin facts too :neener: )

Dbl0Kevin
October 2, 2004, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't fly off the handle too much. It's only a survey and as in most multiple choice questions that actually have a correct answer they usually put in a couple answers that are way off as gimmies. But some people are actually dumb enough to pick them.

Chipperman
October 2, 2004, 08:42 AM
AAA is actually doing us a service by showing how few firearms deaths there are compared with other causes.

hso
October 2, 2004, 08:53 AM
Chipperman's got it right. Of ALL the causes of death for children in the US firearms are far and away one of the least common. The problem with the 1% number is that it includes adolescents and young adults in the 1%. If you're going to write AAA you should keep it short so that it gets published, have good numbers breaking down the firearms death statistics by age, and you should be a member.

erik the bold
October 2, 2004, 12:24 PM
If you remove the suicide data from the mix, e.g., self inflicted, the percentage drops to 0.8%. If you remove the homicides, the number drops to 0.4%. If you remove intended injuries, both suicides AND homicides, that number is 0.196%, only 2-tenths of the AAA data

Per 2001 data:

All deaths, childeren 0-14 yrs = 39,770

Accidental discharges = 72
Suicides = 90
Homicides = 246
Unknown intent = 6

Rawlings
October 2, 2004, 02:42 PM
But according to Brady-logic, everybody is somebody's child, so gun victims are 100% CHILDREN!!

Skunkabilly
October 3, 2004, 10:18 PM
So when do we pass a law banning car accidents and getting sick?

hso
October 3, 2004, 11:15 PM
Erik's post should be the letter. Short, informative, and deflates (pun intended) the number given without sounding like a rabid redneck. The source of the data should be given though. It looks like the CDC data and the reason that it's 2001 and not more recent is that '01 is the most current year that the analysis of the deaths data is complete for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to have to write AAA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!