To my fellow NC gunnies: Burr--pro or anti-AWB renewal?

PDA

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 12:09 AM
I just got a ILA alert saying I should vote for Richard Burr for Senate in November. It claims he "opposes all anti-gun legislation, including re-enactment of the Clinton gun ban."

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I distinctly remember Burr saying "I support the 2nd amendment---but I support reinstating the AWB, because all police chiefs want it, and I listen to what police chiefs want" on the NPR program "The State of Things," earlier this week. I also distinctly remember turning off the radio in disgust.

So did I mis-hear? Or is the NRA backing yet another canidate who says he'll renew the AWB?

If you enjoyed reading about "To my fellow NC gunnies: Burr--pro or anti-AWB renewal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roon
October 3, 2004, 12:29 AM
I think it's plain ol' politics. Nobody wants the King of Springs! :barf:

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 12:33 AM
Roon -- excuse my ignorance, but I don't follow your reference. I often don't follow state politics as closely as I should. Care to educate me?

Roon
October 3, 2004, 01:03 AM
Sorry, I was being obscure.

I'm not sure how much you know, so I'll go through the whole thing...

As you know, Erskine Bowles is Burr's opponent for the Senate, and a democrat who served as Bill Clinton's Chief of Staff. Hence, he is a true anti.:fire:

Erskine's wife is Crandall Close Bowles, a member of the Springs family (granddaughter of Elliott White Springs) and she is chairman and CEO of Springs Industries of Fort Mill, SC (just across the border from Charlotte) and one of the largest textile mills in the U.S. (Think Wamsutta, SpringMade, Graber, etc.) Elliott Close, Crandall's brother, ran for Senate against Strom Thurmond in SC. Former Democratic SC governor Jim Hodges was a lawyer at Springs Industries. Huge McColl, former head of Bank of America, use to run a credit union for Springs.

Another interesting tidbit is that Springs Industries was taken private by the Close family, with 55%, and Heartland Industrial Partners, 45%. Heartland was founded and is headed by David Stockman, Reagan's old economic guru, and his director of the Office of Management and Budget.

The Close family is very democratic, very liberal, and very powerful.

Since Crandall is head of Springs, the Queen, as it were, her husband Erskine is King.

It is completely within the realm of the NRA's purvue to support Burr, even if he's not an A+ RKBA supporter, and to keep Bowles out.

The last I heard, the race is very close (latest Mason-Dixon poll of the last day or two).

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 01:08 AM
Thank you sir! Much appreciated!

I still don't understand how it excuses a complete lie about Burr's agenda (what he said on the program sounded like Kerry could have scripted it) on the part of the NRA, though. Not that I had much confidence in their veracity to begin with.

Roon
October 3, 2004, 01:15 AM
They're all a bunch of f**king politicians, NRA included. It's up to us to keep their feet to the fire. :fire:

Where you from originally?

Joseph

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 01:21 AM
I never know how to answer that one -- I moved about a bunch as a kid (mostly the Midwest). All my Mom's side of the family is from Leland (outside Wilmington), and I've lived here longer than I have anywhere else now (since '92). I just sorta ended up here after going to Duke.

If you're a Carolina fan, don't worry, I hang out with a bunch of die-hard 'heels. I never let religion get in the way of friendship.

Roon
October 3, 2004, 01:25 AM
I've been here (Charleston and Charlotte) since '92 myself.

Duke, Carolina - I've got an ex from each. :D And an ex-girlfriend from USC (the other Carolina). I love 'em all!

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 02:30 AM
Heh--my wife went to Carolina.

Back on topic -- yeah, I don't know why this sort of stuff even bothers me anymore. I should be used to it by now.

Roon
October 3, 2004, 02:41 AM
I love the politics! After all, in spite of my love of Carolina women, I'm a PoliSci guy out of Berkeley - circa late 60's. ;)

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 02:52 AM
Wow, and you're a gunny? You must be as strange as me -- I used to work on the now defunct left-wing student newspaper at Duke.

I loved Berkley when I visited it back about 10 years ago. Freaks galore! Drop me an e-mail sometime, maybe we can go shooting if you're ever in this neck of the woods.

GeneS
October 3, 2004, 09:05 AM
I read in the paper, during the senate campaign debate last week, Burr said he supported letting the "AWB" expire. Bowles, of course, said it was a huge mistake to let it expire.

Chris Pinkleton
October 3, 2004, 06:20 PM
Maybe I got confused as to who was responding to the question? (I was driving around at the time) I really would be happy to find that I was totally mistaken. It seems very unlikely that he'd give two such different responses in such a short space of time.

Roon
October 3, 2004, 10:38 PM
and GOA gave him a B-, not bad for those bad boys. (Bowles, needless to say, got an F.) I say give it up... for Burr.

I also got my NRA mailing today, the Kerry Poodle Ad ("This Dog Don't Hunt"), with a batch of NRA-Burr bumper stickers.

Time for a beer.

Bartholomew Roberts
October 4, 2004, 09:07 AM
Burr has been consistently against the ban so far in his career. He wasn't around for the original bill to pass the ban; but in 1996 he voted to repeal it (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/1996/roll092.xml).

He has a B- from GOA and an A from NRA. You could not support the ban and still receive a B- from GOA.

Also as recently as September 11, 2004, Burr was being quoted in the paper as opposing the ban (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/2004/09/11/news/9636011.htm?1c).

It sounds to me like you may have had your speakers confused.

cls12vg30
October 4, 2004, 10:47 AM
Are you sure you weren't hearing Esrkine Bowles on NPR? The statements you described sound almost word-for-word what Bowles said during his debate against Burr last week. Including the part about "every police chief in the nation" wanting to renew the ban. Burr immediately pointed out that statement was totally false.

Vote for Burr. I've already had the honor of voting against Erskine Bowles once (in 2002), and now I get to do it again!

If you enjoyed reading about "To my fellow NC gunnies: Burr--pro or anti-AWB renewal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!