Holster Advice

PDA

boo586
October 4, 2004, 05:53 PM
Hi All!!

Starting a new delivery job and will be carrying my either my 2" barreled S&W M-15 or my CZ75 in 40 S&W.

I will be getting in and out of a truck quite a bit and want comfort as well as accessibility when carrying stuff when out of the truck and and sitting in the truck. Would a cross draw holster be my best option in this case? Shoulder holster?

I am in Indiana by the way, and there is no absolute need to keep the gun concealed at all times, but I will be going indoors at several locations between the hours of 2 to 6 in the morning so I should keep it covered as best as possible. I will be wearing a light coat or large flannel open in the front at most if not all times since it is getting cool out.

Once I save some money I am going to get a hammerless 38 or 357 for coat pocket carry durring the winter.

Thanks,

Boo586

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
October 4, 2004, 08:02 PM
In your situation, I believe I'd go with a cross draw holster, and be prepared to drop everything—literally—in the event of an emergency.

deputy tom
October 4, 2004, 10:48 PM
Boo,I'd go with an Ace Case brand nylon shoulder holster and the CZ 75.In my experience with short bbls and K-Frames I've tried different types of owb and iwb holsters with bad results.Handles tend to lean out.A 4" hides/rides better as it has more bbl leverage to prevent the handle from leaning out.Also,as you intend to do after saving up some cash ,a J-Frame (642 is what I carry) is ideal for coat pocket carry.tom.

john l
October 5, 2004, 11:10 AM
I have carried concealed nearly every day since 1996. Don't carry much on sunday. I am home nearly all day on sundays. I have tried lots of different ways, and have a lot of holsters for a lot of pistols.
I am totally not kidding that my favorite way to carry is strong side with a Dillon CLS ( cactus league slide ) holster. At 29.95, it is a third of what some of my holsters are.
Here's why I like the CLS:
1) it is light
2) holds the gun snug to your body
3) has a good FBI tilt to it- and that lends to better concealability
4) easy to draw from. Holds the gun tight, but not too tight.
5) with a belt cut to 1.75 inches, you can wear almost any width belt with it. I reccomend the Dillon belts I have both the 1.25 inch and 1.50 inch. I prefer the 1.50 inch, but the 1.25 inch works well in a dressier situation.

I am 5-9 and 185lbs, and I buy shirts one size bigger and wear them untucked- either T-shirts or button ups, and so if you are wearing a light jacket all day you should be fine.

I know that some like the crossdraw and shoulder and I have them and think they are great. All types of holsters have their advantages. A crossdraw may get in the way if you are carrying items in and out of places, and you may find that the handle sticking toward the front isn't so concealable. and a shoulder holster as wierd as it seems, just seems too bulky to me, there's just always "something there" under your arms. Some people really like them- I love my Galco miami classic with the "undercover" style mag pouch, but when I wear my strong side holster, with my pistol of choice, then I honestly forget that it is there, and when I do, it's nice, because I am still prepared for whatever.
Main drawback to strongside holsters when driving is accessability. That is where the shoulder or crossdraw would excel. i am fine with strongside driving because I would like to think that I am aware of situations before they are on top of me- meaning that if something is fishy, I am pulling up my shirt on my right side preparing to draw. Gunfights aren't won by quickdraw. the good guy with a gun in his hand because he's aware is going to have a better chance. Remember your vehicle makes a pretty decent weapon, too.

john l

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster Advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!