Marlin 1894SS

PDA

Paladin7
October 4, 2004, 09:24 PM
What is your educated opinion of the Marlin 1894SS 44 magnum, or equivalent in blue steel?

I am considering the rifle for many reasons, plinking, hunting and trail/home defense. Of the examples i've seen, they look and feel like quality, light, powerful and point very well. I reload .44 special so I will continue to roll my own specials and magnums.

What sort of problems have you experienced?

What sort of accuracy can I expect?

How does the combo perform on deer/black bear sized game?

Any thoughts pro/con are greatly appreciated.

- Paladin7

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894SS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
treeprof
October 4, 2004, 10:46 PM
Here's my range report on my 1894SS and a couple of other Marlins. (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24342)

Mine has been trouble-free.

The .44 mag picks up a lot of steam in a carbine. Roughly, I'd say it's a 125 yd deer gun, half that distance on black bear. Someone else will disagree shortly. There are a lot of threads on .44 lever guns.

MrMurphy
October 4, 2004, 11:00 PM
I don't currently own one (trying to remedy that) but have shot many. Quick handling, 10 shots in a compact lightweight package. Powerful enough to drop most animals at under 100 yards, and will do just fine on people (Remember, most leverguns in the old west were .44-40).

I like the XSS ghost ring sight, it really speeds up acquisition time.

They are accurate enough to do the job but no .44 levergun is a "tack driver" however, it will hit what you aim at where you aimed the majority of the time.

Corey ACP
October 5, 2004, 06:17 PM
My Marlin 1894 is the older one with the micro groove barrel. It WILL NOT shoot any type of full magnum velocity loads that use a cast lead bullet. Jacketed slugs, like the 240 gr XTP are another matter as are my own reloads that feature a 200 gr. RNFP at less than full velocity. 1 1/2 - 2" groups with the original buckhorn sights at 75 yds with these loads are no problem. If you want the load data I use, PM me and I will be glad to share.

The rifle itself is a load of fun, the kids enjoy it and that BIG hole in the end is always a good thing. Be sure to check the screws on the sideplate as sometimes they will become loose after an extended period.

Never personally shot 44 specials out of it so I have no first hand knowledge with that.....Corey

Avery Goodschott
October 5, 2004, 11:37 PM
I own one with the add-on ghost ring and it shoots darn well. Action is very smooth and reliable. Solid as a dollar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894SS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!