Annoying Barrel Bands

PDA

Silent-Snail
October 4, 2004, 10:47 PM
I have a MN 91/30, and am extremely interested in fully disassembling it but I cant get either of the barrel bands off. Help me members of THR you're my only hope. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Annoying Barrel Bands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
October 4, 2004, 10:53 PM
Most of the time they are on there pretty tight. Getting them out on a friend's 91/30 was an experience. Quite hard to do it without damaging the stock.

Basically, we ending up taking a screwdriver and hammer and prying the damn things off by force - I held down the release latch thingy, and my friend slowly bumped the rings upward using the aforementioned screwdriver for leverage. Scratched the wood up slightly, but, hey, it's a rifle, not a china plate. :)

I'm sure a more experienced Mosin fan will come around shortly to tell you of a better way to do it. ;)

pbhome71
October 4, 2004, 11:30 PM
I use a c-clamp to clamp over the retainer. Then carefully tap the barrel band out with a block of wood.

Okiecruffler
October 5, 2004, 04:13 PM
I'll second the c-clamp and block of wood. I use pieces of cardboard between the clamp and the wood to help save that.

WhoKnowsWho
October 5, 2004, 06:23 PM
Some sort of C-clamp or mutant third hand, and I used a brass punch and brass hammer to move them on down.

MN_Strelok
October 5, 2004, 06:31 PM
Much like the others, I use a hammer, wooden wedge or dowel, c-clamp and some denim to protect the stock.

The only other word of advice I can offer is to get one of those small mallets that is rubber on one side and plastic on the other. With some practice, you can use the rubber side to strike the band itself pretty hard without damaging the rifle. (If the retention spring isn't gummed up too bad, I can get the band off this way without a c-clamp. They're usually filthy though.)

It also seems easiest to work the band off by hitting one side, then the other.

Okiecruffler
October 5, 2004, 06:40 PM
It also helps if while tapping the band off you bite your lower lip, just a little left of center. That's how I do it anyway.

Silent-Snail
October 5, 2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the advice it will be implimented as soon as I get paid. A problem that I forgot to mention earlier is that the thing that keeps the forward band on wont depress far enough for me to even move the front band. Is this what the C clamps are for

If you enjoyed reading about "Annoying Barrel Bands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!