Do prices seem high in Colorado?

PDA

fulloflead
October 5, 2004, 04:15 PM
Maybe this is just "The grass is always greener" syndrome, but does anyone else beside me think that gun prices are higher than maybe they could/should be in Colorado?

It's just something I've noticed over the last several years. I search the internet to see what something is going for - used, new - whatever...
Then I narrow my search to Colorado listings or check some gun shops' new and used guns, or walk around the two gun shows here in Denver (or Loveland/Ft. Collins) and get sticker shock. I'm not talkin' a $40-$60 markup. (I understand that local dealers cannot match the internet dealers on new guns.) I mean like $150 bucks!

The biggest pickmeupoffthefloor shock I ever had was with CZ pistols. I was seeing new ones on the net for under $400. When I walked into a local shop I was flaberghasted to see them at over $600!

I read and hear about people finding great deals on used guns at gunshows but they're always from different states. (It sounds like Tennessee is a good place to buy guns for example.)

One thing I would like to note is that I've often see the SAME overpriced gun under the glass of a gunshow dealer's display cabinet for a year. (The example I remember was a Delta Elite 10mm for $900 that looked like it had hit the ground a couple of times.) It seems like some people don't mind if something doesn't sell.

I guess the biggest thing is the lack of decent prices on used guns. It seems like lots of things are treated like collector's items. You don't know how many times I've heard, "You don't see too many of those around anymore..." . It feels like every price tag I see on a used S&W is $500 or if the price is $400 the gun looks like it's taken a trip down two flights of cement stairs.

I'm not looking to get into a price point to price point pissing contest with a Colorado gun dealer here. I'm just wondering about people's general impressions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do prices seem high in Colorado?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TallPine
October 5, 2004, 04:19 PM
Hey, you got to pay for that nice climate and scenery :p

Kamicosmos
October 5, 2004, 04:30 PM
I've noticed when I've been in Colorado, especially down in the Springs, that prices are just higher in general. Probably just the tourist trade causing higher prices across the board.

Haven't paid attention to gun prices though....I'm usually not visiting gun stores when I visit Colorado. :)

Reno
October 5, 2004, 04:36 PM
Prices seem pretty good at Sportsman's Warehouse. As for ordering something, I like www.ak-47man.com . I think they're up in Bailey, so it's a little of a drive, but worth it to me. The other local shops I've been in, well, I won't go there, as it's not very High Road.

Morgan
October 5, 2004, 04:39 PM
Prices in Colorado aren't the cheapest, but they're not as bad as you think - you just haven't found the right places.

My first stop is always Tom and Joe's (www.tomandjoesfirearms.com), at 32nd and Youngsfield, phone 303-231-0998. Tom doesn't have the greatest selection, but he'll order anything you wish, and as cheap as anyone in town. He has a working relationship with CDNN, so if you want one of those police trade ins or such he can get it, fast and cheap. He doesn't normally have new CZs on hand, but he likes them and can get them - there's often a used one about. Tom does a lot of police business, and knows his way around an AR, HK, 1911, Kahr, Glock, Smith, or SIG. All around a good guy, who I don't mind spending my money with.

Up north, go to Jensen's in Loveland (www.jensenarms.com). They knew CZ's when CZs weren't cool. They were giddy over the HS2000 waaay before Springfield put their name on it, doubled the price and re-dubbed it the XD. Lots of AR stuff and mil surplus rifles and handguns, including ammunition. Good guys, good prices, and generally worth the drive.

The Gun Room in the 1500 block of Carr St. in Lakewood has a large and varied selection, from single action sixguns to Les Baer 1911's, and everything in between. They have a lot of consignment guns, and if you're looking for a nice old Smith or Colt DA revolver they're the first choice. Good prices, friendly service.

There are other shops around, but I've found these three fill all of my needs. Gunshows here are mostly a joke - I only go when Miwall Ammo is there or I need relaoding stuff.

Jon Coppenbarger
October 5, 2004, 04:50 PM
Well if you are shopping the regular gun shops they will be higher and a few of them I really do not bother shopping in.
But you do not have to spend your hard earned money at the shops with the internet.
I go to a place called Hickman rifles down on 411B Tia Juana in the springs 719-633-4680 and he has lots of the books right out on the counter like cdnn, aim ,sog and many, many others.
all you do is buy it yourself and have it sent to him as he is the ffl and you get it at that cost plus the $20 transfer.
If you find that $400 CZ you want order it, pay for it, ship them a copy of his ffl if they do not already have on file and when it comes in all you are out is your original cost for the weapon , shipping and his $20.
He does the ffl's on line and it only takes a few minutes usually.

I will tell you how bad a few of the shops are as they tried to get some of the wholesalers not to sale to them because he was cutting their prices so bad and doing transfers. they even got ticked off at one of the moderators here that went to vegas to help represent him as they must think they should be the only place in town.

Jon Coppenbarger
October 5, 2004, 05:23 PM
As far as shows go you just gotta do it right.
Now I would of liked to of sold a few guns at the last tanners show but did not even know I was doing the show untill Carol ask me to as she had some folks that cancelled at the last moment so after I helped her bring her stuff in I headed back home and packed and did not end my setting up till after the show opened as I only had 1 hour to get two tables of stuff in.
Usually like to shop around for those good deals before the rest of everybody gets in.
But so many things that I just do not see everything and if you are not looking for a special item you usually find a decent deal.

Now I have others tell me my prices are to low but even then I did not sell a single rifle or pistol. when I have $400 on a real nice browning practical in 40 and only have a couple of folks pick it up its not the price or selling garands and some cmp 22's at the same prices they do who's cheating who?
I agree some of those folks are nuts for what they ask but the same dealers were crying to get more of my $10 beretta mags and after going threw around 400 of them I ran out on sat.
my ar15 30 round mags were $12 for used and 10 for $100 and new for $16 or 2 for $30 and the beretta mags were $10 each or 12 for $100. Sold alot of them but still only sold around 50 or so ar mags.

With a nice table location I asked alot of folks if they had any guns rifles or handguns for sale and got to look at alot of weapons.
Some were high but some were good and bought some and I kicked myself for not buying some.
One for example I kick myself on was the like new steerling ar180 for his asking price of $800. should of went ahead and bought it but that was in the first hour of the show and I did not want to spend alot at that time.

but did pick up a nice S&W model 63 for $100
a laseraim series 2 in .45 for $220
and a model 41 smith for $150 at my friends table while I helped him the week before. Picked up some other rifles and handguns so I think it was a very good show. Going to do it again until spring when my shooting season starts as that $120 for those 2 tables and will have 4 for the rest of the time it has paid off as most of the dealers now give me a good break or even cost on ammo and other items like that once I got to know them. Its like if I buy say win. white box ball 230 grain .45 ammo for $10 a box at lets say the cost to me from my friends and sell it for only $12 a box and sell 4 to 6 cases of it I do all right on it. I klnow what some of you are saying the same as some of the others are you can not make any money like that.
I look at it like this it gets delivered to me at the show before it opens like any other ammo I want, I do not have to pay for it untill after the show and I pocket on say only 5 cases of 10 boxes thats $100 in my pocket or a free case or 2 of ammo for taking up just a few inches of space. Now if I do the discount on 9mm and 40 and 357 and a couple of others thats A few hundred in my pocket or as I look at it a couple of more guns I get to take home.

the deals and guns are out there just like the internet you just have to hunt and find them. just walking into a shop or into a show that hundreds of others have all ready looked at the deals are usually gone and if you want new just go to someone who will do the transfer for you for a few bucks.

MoNsTeR
October 5, 2004, 05:26 PM
If you really want sticker shock, visit Dave's in Aurora.

My favorites were Gunworks and Green Mountain, both in Lakewood.

bigmtnman
October 5, 2004, 05:33 PM
I'll second Morgan's opinion of Jensen Arms in Loveland. Good selection, good prices, and good people. They are not for the hunting, skeet, trap crowd as they are primarily a law enforcement supplier. Lots of EBR's and handguns.

rl2669
October 5, 2004, 06:21 PM
Biggest gun store in the Springs is Specialty Sports at Drennan & Academy. Not cheap per se, but by far the best selection.

One of the things lacking in the Springs is an indoor range; its been tried with no success, which is weird since it seems everyone's into guns.

Standing Wolf
October 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
Biggest gun store in the Springs is Specialty Sports at Drennan & Academy. Not cheap per se, but by far the best selection.

Service is pretty good there. The prices seem to be full list, but they're still better than lots of other places'. The worst of the lot are the Shootin' Den and the Gun Vault.

stevesmith7
October 5, 2004, 06:49 PM
Wolf,
I've never bought anything from the Gun Vault, but he does transfers for $20 and the things in the display case that were used didn't seem too overpriced. While waiting for the check I've witnessed several deals happen and he will barter a bit on price. I did get a quote on a CZ75SA from him once and the price was a little bit high but not terrible. I agree on Shootin Den.

Steve

fulloflead
October 5, 2004, 07:04 PM
Lots of great suggesting for gun shops here. I used to go to Jensen when I lived up north. They're pretty cool. I've had good experiences with them. I'm going to have to try some of these others like Tom and Joe's that I haven't tried.

Are there any more people who could vouch that the prices here in CO seem higher than par?

IMtheNRA
October 5, 2004, 08:18 PM
Jon Coppenbarger, what are these Beretta mags that you are selling at 12/$100? Are they original equipment, if so, what condition and do you have any more left?

Larry Ashcraft
October 5, 2004, 08:51 PM
Are there any more people who could vouch that the prices here in CO seem higher than par?
Well, it seems to me that everything from the Springs north is higher. Down south here, Pueblo and Walsenburg gun shops are quite reasonable. We have Arctic Shooting Supply for the LEO and CCW bunch, also lots of cool ARs, and there is Pueblo Sporting Goods for the hunting and reloading crowd. Both have good prices and friendly staff people.

Hollowpoint Sporting Goods (cool name, huh?) in Walsenburg is especially nice. Good folks (mom and pop), good prices, and they carry everything from hunting to fishing to camping to recreational shooting. Wanna Dutch Oven? They have them. Salmon eggs or worms? Of course. Left-handed Savage in .270? "Well no, but we'll have one here in a week or so."

Ala Dan
October 5, 2004, 09:27 PM
I was in my favorite gunshop last Saturday (10-2-04) when my
dealer bought a 98 per center 10mm blued Colt Delta Elite for
$325. WOW! $900 on resale would be quite a mark-up would
it not?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Standing Wolf
October 5, 2004, 11:27 PM
Stevesmith7:

The guy at the Gun Vault charged me over $100 for an "action job" that he swore resulted in a two-pound single action pull. It turned out to be over three pounds by an R.C.B.S. scale, plus he wrecked the front sight and digned the rib.

I'll go back there after pigs sprout wings and start flying.

Zak Smith
October 6, 2004, 12:53 AM
Ditto on Jensen Arms and Tom & Joes.

Give Alan Samuel a ring/email (www.alansamuel.com) also. He's a friend, FFL, class III dealer, etc.

-z

Fed168
October 6, 2004, 01:09 AM
What gun shops can I check out when I go to C-Springs next week?

Zundfolge
October 6, 2004, 01:38 AM
The best gun shop to "window shop" at in the Springs is Specialty Sports.

Its at the corner of Academy and Drennan Road click here for map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=3735+Drennan+Rd&city=Colorado+Springs&state=CO&zipcode=&search=++Search++)

rl2669
October 6, 2004, 11:55 AM
Another good place to check out is Dragonman's. He's a Class III dealer and operates an outdoor range as well as paintball.

Just the looks of the place - he has all shot up cars on display all over his property - is pretty neat to say the least.

Edward429451
October 6, 2004, 12:29 PM

Service is pretty good there. The prices seem to be full list, but they're still better than lots of other places'. The worst of the lot are the Shootin' Den and the Gun Vault.

Ditto. Shootin Den has a couple good employees (the archery guy mostly) but is overshadowed by Cal's bad attitude.

Another good place to check out is Dragonman's.

:barf: Mel's ok but his layout sucks and they're getting pretty stuffy of late, and do be careful what you set down out on their range unless you want it to go bye-bye. Ask me how I know.

Check out Hickman Rifles down on Tia Juana. These guys ROCK at what they do (Smithing & special orders) and are the nicest people on the planet, aside from the reasonable prices. No set hours though, gotta catch em after his day job, in the afternoon.

stevesmith7
October 6, 2004, 01:14 PM
Wolf,
Sorry to hear that. I'd stay away too. Never had any smith service done there, guess I won't either.

Steve

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2004, 04:53 PM
Just the looks of the place - he has all shot up cars on display all over his property - is pretty neat to say the least.

Actually, the Dragon Man's shot up cars and signs and red-splattered dummies are gone. I've heard the B.A.T.F.E. gave him grief about the decor.

Zundfolge
October 6, 2004, 08:54 PM
Check out Hickman Rifles down on Tia Juana.
Only problem with Earl's place is he doesn't really stock any firearms ... he's more of a gunsmith who does FFL transfers (best in town for that BTW ... haven't needed his smithing services but I hear he's pretty good).

However its a good place to sit and chew the fat with the good-old-boys who hang out there.

Actually, the Dragon Man's shot up cars and signs and red-splattered dummies are gone. I've heard the B.A.T.F.E. gave him grief about the decor.

Okay, there's the ONE thing the BATFE has done that's worth a darn :p

Edward429451
October 7, 2004, 12:17 PM
True of Earls place. So go to Specialty to decide hands on, then to Earls to order it. Got my Bushy for 150 less by going through Earl.

I got lucky one day and walked in when Earl had his Garand collection on the counter...mmmm.

Okay, there's the ONE thing the BATFE has done that's worth a darn

Aww Zund, tsk tsk. It wasn't THAT bad. Just a little juvenile. No need to elevate BATFE any.:D

Maybe it would'a been better if he had one that said "This is what happened to the last BATFE guy that was out here.":D Yeah.

Kidding.

Ed
October 7, 2004, 03:38 PM
There was a small store in Castle Rock at least there was in 2000 where they had pretty good prices. I bought my 1911 there. I can't remember what it was called. But there can't be many there.

Larry Ashcraft
October 7, 2004, 03:53 PM
I forgot about the one in Castle Rock. They hit the gun shows here and their prices are reasonable. They carry good brands too, Colt, Kimber, Springfield.

IMtheNRA
October 7, 2004, 04:06 PM
Another good shop to take a look at is Hamblen Sales in Fort Collins. They have a great selection of shotguns, lots of safes, and their new scope department is huge. They have hundreds of scopes on display!

As far as prices and service, Green Mountain Guns in Lakewood is my favorite. They have a great consignment case and a very friendly staff.

fulloflead
October 7, 2004, 05:02 PM
Green Mtn. Guns is OK if you're there to buy a gun. But if you have a gun sent there for them to do the FFL transfer for you then they don't like you too much and show it.

I can understand them not being too friendly and treating me like a freeloader if I were buying a gun elsewhere and they lost a sale, but one time I had traded guns with a guy from out of state and the OTHER time was when I inherited two guns from my GRANDFATHER and my uncle had shipped them. I slipped it into the converstation and then they were nicer to me, but still... :(

IMtheNRA
October 7, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hello fulloflead. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at GMG. You may have caught them on a bad day, of course that is no excuse for poor service. For what it's worth, I've been using them for transfers for years and they seem to be very happy to do it.

While it is an administrative burden for the FFL, the $25 they charge for the service compensates them for the paperwork and provides a small profit margin.

I suspect that is about half of what they would make on an average gun sale and considering that they have no money tied up in inventory of transfer guns, that's a pretty good side line for them.

They do many, many transfers and I'm sure that they are grateful for that part of their business. Hopefully, you'll give them another chance to prove their excellent customer service skills.

Best regards!

fulloflead
October 7, 2004, 06:40 PM
You know what else was strange about GMG, was that when my uncle sent me those two guns from my grandfather, GMG charged me $25 EACH to do the transfer so it cost me $50. Don't you think that's odd? It was ONE package, ONE set of paperwork, ONE phonecall to CBI and ONE transaction but they charged me double because it was two guns.:confused:

Still... DAVE'S guns charges $50 or 10% what the gun cost; which ever is GREATER to do the transfer. I wonder what they would have charged me to get two guns I inherited. 10% of the value of both of them?

I think family to family transfers should get a break.

Coltdriver
October 7, 2004, 08:28 PM
You should have gone to ak-47man.com

They are wonderful people and will do transfers for very reasonable prices and you get to go for a nice ride into the mountains just 20 minutes West of Denver to pick up your transfer. They also have a great selection of rifles and pistols to drool over.

Daves is simply a flat out rip off. I have never seen a good deal there and they tend to be real @$$holes. YMMV

I'll vouch for the Gun Room too, I nearly bought a Browning shotgun there a couple of weeks ago just because it was only $200! Real friendly and nice people too.

Don't forget the Colorado Gunsmith School out on west Colfax for good work done very cheaply. Great place for a good re blue. Ask for Joe he is a real good fellow to deal with.

Also Ikey Stark has a good deal now and then on a pistol at Sports West On south broadway. He usually always has a good deal on a rifle or two. He does first class smith work if you don't mind his unique character and you have money to spend. He ain't cheap but his work is perfection.

fulloflead
October 8, 2004, 12:46 PM
Hey, I didn't know about Colorado Gunsmith School! Thanks for that tip.

I actually work about 3 blocks from Qualite Pistol and Revolver, but they're a bit too steep and too busy for my simple needs.

YammyMonkey
October 14, 2004, 11:35 PM
I can't say enough good things about Tom & Joe's. That's the first place I go when in CO for firearms. Second on the list is Green Mtn. Guns. Not quite as friendly or cheap, but they've usually got the 2nd best prices in town and do have a pretty good selection and a lot of used guns on the floor to fondle.

YammyMonkey
October 14, 2004, 11:46 PM
I can't say enough good things about Tom & Joe's. That's the first place I go when in CO for firearms. Second on the list is Green Mtn. Guns. Not quite as friendly or cheap, but they've usually got the 2nd best prices in town and do have a pretty good selection and a lot of used guns on the floor to fondle.

Jay Kominek
October 15, 2004, 12:38 AM
There some some gun store in Boulder (yeah, roll your eyes. :) ) that I went to once. I didn't write down prices or anything, but I do remember having to bite my tongue when I saw how expensive they were. I get the feeling they're affiliated with the Boulder Rifle Club, which really says it all.

I was in Jensen's once and I was impressed. I call them occasionally to see if they've exotic-ish things I need ASAP. Unfortunately for them, my definition of exotic is the same as theirs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do prices seem high in Colorado?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!