Interesting thread over at GT about an AR15 problem.

PDA

Redlg155
October 5, 2004, 08:21 PM
I saw this thead over at GT and didn't see a duplicate here, so I decided to post a link.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=291259

This is just one of reasons first time builders should familiarize themselves with the AR system or have someone who is knowledgeable check their work.

From what I gather the weapon was assembled without a gas key on the carrier, leading to a KB.

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting thread over at GT about an AR15 problem." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
October 5, 2004, 11:06 PM
That's why I read and re-read and read the all instructions again before I began assembly. I knew the operation of the rifle quite well before I even had one, if that part had been missing, alarms would have been going off big time.

Remember people, building this thing isn't like building a book case or stereo cabinet, you can't take a piece and flip it the right way after you fire a round and something blows up.

Badger Arms
October 6, 2004, 12:04 AM
That's akin to leaving the cylinders out when you rebuild an engine. It might go bang a few times, but it's not going to be pretty.

g56
October 6, 2004, 12:59 AM
I was kind of surprised he put that thing together and never checked the gas key, even though he didn't assemble the upper. :confused:

When I was putting mine together I studied the instructions for assembling the upper, even if I was only assembling the lower, and I made sure to check that the gas key was staked properly before final assembly.

Pinned&Recessed
October 6, 2004, 03:38 AM
I built my first AR, but I had already used M16s in ROTC, so I was fairly familiar with the platform. I also studied manuals and diagrams for weeks beforehand.

I ordered a kit from J&T and in 45 minutes had a rifle. It was like magic, sort of.

JNewell
October 6, 2004, 02:24 PM
[withdrawn after re-reading the GT thread]

El Rojo
October 7, 2004, 01:27 AM
Good, informative post. I put my first one together with no AR experience. Here are the instructions I used. Unfortunately I don't see any upper instructions or any pictures of a bolt carrier with key.

http://www.brianlane.com/ar15.php

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting thread over at GT about an AR15 problem." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!